Makeda of House Balaash
|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Makeda of House Balaash |
This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.11. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
You can view the Mk3 models that have been updated on this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
Before becoming Archdomina and claiming from her cowardly brother her place as the head of house Balaash, Makeda was trained to be the house’s backup heir. Despite being superior to her brother in every domain of worth, she was still merely an understudy. Yet during that time, she claimed many victories and proved herself on the field of battle.
- Hero of the People - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its unit's activation, other friendly warrior models gain +2 to their attack rolls while in this model's command range. Hero of the People last for one turn.
- Lesser Warlock - 1) This model is not a warlock but has the following warlock special rules: Battlegroup Commander, Fury Manipulation, Healing, Spellcaster, and Transferring Damage. 2) This model must have at least one warbeast in its battlegroup at the start of the game.
- Sacrificial Pawn [ Warrior ] - When this model is directly hit by an enemy ranged attack, you can have one friendly, non-incorporeal warrior model within 3" of it directly hit instead. That model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects. The Sacrificial Pawn special rule can only trigger once per attack roll.
- Understudy - While a friendly Faction warlock is in this model's command range, this model can use the warlock's current MAT in place of its own.
|The Teeth of Vaactash|
|Target friendly Faction warrior model/unit gains +1 DEF. Additionally, affected models gain +2" movement when advancing as part of their Normal Movement.|
| Flashing Blade
|The spellcaster immediately makes one basic attack with one of its melee weapons against each enemy model in its LOS that is in the weapon's melee range. These attacks are simultaneous.|
Makeda bonded warbeast, Molik Karn, she can take in any theme.
- Disciples of Agony. Note that Makeda can not start the game with Minion warbeasts in her battlegroup (because she is not a warlock).
- Masters of War. This model gains "Optional Take Down" in this theme.
Thoughts on Makeda of House Balaash
Makeda0 in a nutshell
Makeda0 is lesser warlock who brings a small battlegroup for when your caster is overloaded. She supports all infantry including minions with Hero of the People although Celerity can only go on Skorne warriors (including warlocks).
If you just want to bring an extra mini-battlegroup Tyrant Zaadesh is a point cheaper and enhances the beasts he is with, but Makeda's a weaponmaster who does things for infantry outside her battlegroup with Celerity then engages as a super-solo weaponmaster to trigger Hero of the People.
- An Archidon for the Lightning Strike animus so she can back up after having killed something. It also has extended control range, so it can stay 16" away from her.
- support warbeasts like an Agonizer, a Basilisk Krea or The Terrorizer - early on Makeda can easily use their support animus and non combat beasts have an easier time staying in control range
- Putting 4-6 fury worth of beast can be useful if you expect to use her spell a lot. You really don't want to cut for fury, and with a single fury 3 beast you cannot transfer on 1 fury on you and 3 on the beast. On the other hand it can lead to her being sniped and leaving a lot of beasts casterless.
Combos & Synergies
Makeda0 goes well with any assassin warlock; 2" extra on your assassination is a huge benefit.
- Morghoul2 - a 15" threat range on his assassination is absolutely no joke, and the defence boost can be useful too.
- Morghoul3 Starting an activation affected by Mirage then swapping to Celerity makes infantry threat really far.
- Hexeris1 - his feat and hero of the people work together meaning the models you kill in Mak0's control range are more accurate. Also you can effectively stack the movement from Death march and Celerity.
- You can also use sac pawn to trigger Death March Vengeance.
- Zaadesh2 he doesn't have as much fury to throw around as he would like for support animi like rush. But she is also a great recipient of his feat and he can hide her behind a cloud.
- Naaresh1 has a solid assassination run that 2" extra threat helps
Disciples of Agony
- Nihilators the only 10 man faction unit in theme, the extra speed is great and the extra defence makes them less likely to hit each other with berserk, providing that hero of the people hasn't triggered.
- Paingiver Bloodrunners are already DEF 14 and have a superb threat range; Makeda0 makes them even better this way.
In Masters of War
- Any and all units in that theme will love Celerity. Their speed and/or defence will appreciate the bump, and Makeda's likely to practice Spell Cycling to get the movement buff on two units in a turn. In a 75 point game she's close to being an auto-include. Some units that stand out:
- Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer - what's better than a 2" in threat range? Either a 4" increase in threat range or a 2" increase in threat range combined with Pathfinder.
- Praetorian Swordsmen their very average threat range love the bump to 12, and at 14 def they will be significantly more of an hassle to remove
- Cataphract Cetrati tend to be a bit ponderous, but 10" inch movement in shield wall (12" with a Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer and 15" one turn is quite good. Set Defense and/or a Krea make the def bump actually useful, too.
- Cataphract Arcuarii and Cataphract Incindiarii each gain 2" of extra threat range for their shooting for a 15" and 17" threat respectively - or a 12" charge threat for the Arcuarii
Drawbacks & Downsides
- She offers no battlegroup bonuses and easily require 3 or 4 points of fury in her BG
- She's Makeda so she can't be used with other versions of Makeda as your primary warlock.
- Can easily die to non ranged attack, including but not limited to :
A lot of theses can scalpel her on turn 1 if you don't keep some transferts (including a beast you can transfert to)
Tricks & Tips
- You can put Celerity on Paingiver Beast Handlers, and that can make your life a lot easier, especially to heal beasts with them
- she can sacrificial pawn on any warrior models. That include archons and the Hermit of Hengehold.
- Released 2021.10
- Released to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Warmachine, alongside Krueger0, Thagrosh0, Madrak0, and Barnabas0. Four of them are characters from the 2006 Primal rulebook, and the 5th is Barnabas.
Other Skorne models
From here down, the terms Sacrificial Pawn, Grim Salvation, and Sucker! are interchangeable
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Some have Infernal Rulings that pertain only to themselves, but the clarifications below are applicable to all of these abilities: [Show/Hide]