The Rhulic pirate Lord Joln Rockbottom is Captain Shae's expedition financier. He ensures the pirates are well paid and equipped for the bloody work ahead. Coin is not his only weapon, for Lord Rockbottom enjoys employing a fire-belching firearm that has ended the lives of many who underestimated him.
Mercenary - This model will work for Crucible Guard, Cygnar, Cryx, Khador, or Protectorate.
- Coin - This model gains +1 CMD for each of its unmarked coin boxes.
- Paymaster [ Privateer ] - At any time during this model's activation, you can mark one or more coin boxes on its card (there are 5 coin boxes). For each coin box you mark, you can use Paymaster once. When you do, choose one of the following incentives. Incentives are RNG CMD and can target only friendly Privateer units. A Privateer unit can only benefit from one Incentive per turn. When all five of its coin boxes have been marked, this model loses Paymaster for the rest of the game.
- Money Shot - Affected models gain +2 to ranged attack and ranged damage rolls for one turn.
- Payday - Affected models gain boosted melee attack rolls and Overtake. Payday lasts for one turn. (Overtake - When a model with Overtake destroys one or more enemy models with a basic melee attack during its Combat Action, after the attack is resolved it can immediately advance up to 1".)
- Walk It Off - If the affected models were suffering from continuous effects, knockdown, and stationary, those effects immediately expire.
- Other Factions
- Hearts of Darkness. This model/unit can only go in this theme if Crosse2 is leading the army. It becomes an Infernal model/unit in this theme.
- As a mercenary model/unit, it can also be hired out to a bunch of other Faction's themes. Refer to #Other Theme Forces.
No changes since 2019.05
Thoughts on Lord Rockbottom
Lord Rockbottom in a Nutshell
Rockbottom's function is to enhance the performance of the otherwise lackluster Sea Dog units with his coins. He is indispensable in a privateer army and should always be taken with Shae, or any privateer army that runs infantry-heavy.
Rockbottom is one of the five privateer support solos alongside Hawk, Killingsworth, Dougal and the Bosun. He is arguably the best of the five because his boosts work on the Commodore Cannon.
Combos & Synergies
Any Privateer unit will appreciate his coins. That's what he was made for.
- Money Shot works only on ranged attacks, Privater units with guns include:
- Payday works on melee focused Privateers:
- Press Gangers use Payday for Overtake and boosted attack rolls to help them maximize their Gang and Shanghai abilities.
- The following units will appreciate both, depending on the situation
- The Devil's Shadow Mutineers Money Shot works for Zira and Morland to a lesser extent. Pay Day can theoretically allow Mar to kill lots of infantry since she has Berserk, but this is an opportunity that doesn't come along often.
- Sea Dog Pirates can benefit from either Payday or Money Shot. Payday is especially effective on them as they gain Overtake as well as a second boosted melee attack. Money Shot on Riflemen and Mr Walls with Dougal's mini feat and No Quarter can make them quite devastating at range.
- First Mate Hawk - Object of Desire stacked with Payday on Press Ganges or Sea Dogs makes them devastating into living models
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He only has five coins. Once they're gone, he doesn't have much to do. He'll look for a flag to score or a zone to contest.
- Despite being a dwarf, he isn't a Rhulic model and isn't allowed in Hammer Strike.
In the fluff he's been excommunicated from Rhul, or something.
Tricks & Tips
- The combos described above outline what he does. It's up to you to figure out how best to spend those coins.
- He can spend coins on units. Not solos.
Released in Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Other Mercenary models
| Mercenary Index (Edit)
| Units, Solos, & Battle Engines
| Warcaster attachments
Doctor Stygius -
Madelyn Corbeau -
| Lesser Warlocks
|| Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)
| Non-character Units
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator (small or medium based units) -
Special WA: Morrowan Battle Priest (Morrow units)
| Character Units
Croe's Cutthroats -
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters -
Blythe & Bull -
Herne & Jonne -
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt -
Lynus & Edrea -
The Commodore Cannon -
The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
| Non-character Solos
Cephalyx Agitator -
Death Archon -
Gobber Tinker -
Menite Archon -
Morrowan Archon -
Ogrun Bokur -
Powder Monkey -
SH Arcanist -
SH Ironhead -
SH Gunner -
Swamp Gobber River Raider
Thamarite Advocate -
Thamarite Archon -
| Character Solos
Alten Ashley -
Anastasia Di Bray -
Balthazar Bamfist -
Black Bella1 -
Black Bella2 -
Bloody Bradigan -
Bosun Grogspar -
Brun Cragback & Lug -
Captain Crawtooth -
Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI -
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath -
Dirty Meg -
Doc Killingsworth -
Doctor Stygius -
First Mate Hawk -
Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 -
Flugwug the Filcher -
Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One -
Grand Master Gabriel Throne -
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One -
Harlowe Holdemhigh -
Hermit of Henge Hold -
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter -
Kell Bailoch -
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress -
Lord Rockbottom -
Major Harrison Gibbs -
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile -
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor -
Princess Delores Graciela -
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger -
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord -
Rorsh & Brine -
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer -
Savio Montero Acosta -
Saxon Orrik -
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye -
Stannis Brocker -
Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage -
Thor Steinhammer -
Underboss Vizkoya -
Viktor Pendrake -
Weird Wendell -
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
| Battle Engines
Hammerfall Siege Crawler -
| Independent Warjack
Malvin1 & Mayhem1
| Theme Forces (Edit)
| Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter
|This index was last updated: 2021.11
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Coin - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Paymaster (Edit)
Restrictions on "Any Time" abilities
- "Any Time" abilities can be used at any time during a model/unit's activation, except:
- Before any compulsory forfeiture of movement/action. See step 2 of the activation sequence, appendix A.
- After the model with the "Any Time" ability has had their activation end "prematurely". By this I mean you resolved something which includes the phrase "its activation ends". Examples include:
- Running, failing a charge, or failing a slam.
- Abilities that include "then its activation ends" (such as Reposition and Teleport).
- In between declaring your charge target and making your charge movement. (Infernal Ruling)
- In between completing your charge movement and determining whether it was a successful charge. (Infernal Ruling)
- When you're in the middle of moving. (Note: Impact Attacks count as being in the middle of movement).
- When you're in the middle of an attack. Which also includes effects that occur "after the attack is resolved".
(Although the attack is "resolved" at Step 11, in terms of using an "Any Time" ability the attack is not "finished" until after Step 14. Refer to the first paragraph of Apdx A.)
- Your opponent interrupted your activation to trigger one of their own abilities (such as Countercharge).
- Warcasters/warlocks/etc can normally cast a spell or use their feat "At any time". However, there is a core rule saying they cannot do so on the same activation that they run. So, they are subject to all the same restrictions listed above, plus they can't cast/feat before running.
- Units: See below.
- In general you can use "Any Time" abilities while you're knocked down or stationary (except Spells and Feats which specify you can't).
- If you have a gun with a random ROF, you can use an "Any Time" ability inbetween rolling the number of shots and actually making the first attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- Units with "Any Time" abilities
- You cannot use an "Any Time" ability before issuing/receiving orders. See step 1 and 2 of the activation sequence, appendix A.
- A model in a unit can't use an "Any Time" ability after they run (Infernal Ruling) or fail a charge. Because that makes that specific model's activation to end even though the unit's activation is still ongoing, and you can't use abilities on models that are not active.
- You can use an "Any Time" ability before running, however.
- A model in a unit can't use an "Any Time" ability after anyone in the unit has begun a Reposition move. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Money Shot - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Payday (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Swift Hunter and/or Overtake (Edit)
- The free move must be resolved before other abilities that involve attacks (such as Quick Work or Berserk). Refer Step 12 vs 14 in Appendix A.
- This ability does not trigger off special attacks, only basic ones.
- An important difference:
- Swift Hunter can be triggered by any attack, including out-of-activation attacks.
- Overtake only works on attacks during your Combat Action. Even stuff like Impact Attacks won't trigger it.
- If you make a free strike during your Combat Action (for instance the enemy used a special rule to move during your Combat Action) you can trigger Overtake on that free strike. It still counts as being during your Combat Action. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Walk It Off - None yet. (Edit)