| Longchops |
An eccentric monster hunter from the swamp, the gatorman Longchops has earned a name for himself in the wilds of western Immoren. Constantly seeking larger and deadlier prey to pit himself against, Longchops carries a heavy rifle and a wide array of snares and traps, having adapted the techniques of humans in his search for the perfect prey.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Longchops
- 3 Other
- Advance Deployment
- Cover Tracks - Immediately after resolving a ranged attack during Longchop's activation that destroyed or RFP'd one or more enemy models, he can immediately use his Trapper rule.
- Head Shot - Models disabled by a ranged attack from Longchops cannot make a Tough roll. Also, models boxed by it are RFP'd.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Trapper [4"] (★ Action) - Place a 4" AOE B2B with this model. The AOE lasts for one round. Living/undead models entering or ending activation inside suffer a POW 10 damage roll. Models damaged by trapper suffer knockdown. Models with flight are unaffected.
- Heavy Rifle - 12" range, POW 14 gun
- Bite - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
This solo may be used in the following theme forces without using their single minion solo option:
- Disciples of Agony (Skorne)
- Oracles of Annihilation (Legion) In this theme, this Minion becomes a Blighted model. Also, enemy models that end their activation within 2" of this model suffer continuous corrosion.
- Secret Masters (Circle) - this model may be taken as a requisition option in this theme despite not being a Circle solo
As a minion solo, they can also be taken in a bunch of other Faction's themes as their single allowed minion unit. Refer to #Other Theme Forces.
Thoughts on Longchops
Longchops in a nutshell
Longchops is handy and fun to use, but he's not going to be competing with Widowmakers anytime soon. He's not so much an assassin so much as a guy who takes pot shots from the safety of the second wave.
You get two things for 5 points- an advance deploying gun with decent POW, and area denial with the Cover Tracks AOE. While the POW 10 will only kill infantry, it's knockdown portion of the ability can still protect an area, discouraging foes from otherwise tempting charge lanes or entering scoring zones.
He's ultimately there to put pressure on your flanks or shore up any gaps in your line. He can also make for respectable spot removal, skirting around to the edges of the main fight to harass support models.
Combos & Synergies
- Barnabas1 can make it impossible to target him with ranged attacks by using Swamp Pit. Also Pop N Drop. That said, be aware Longchops doesn't interact with Barnabas' Warpath spell because his gun has compulsory RFP.
- Bog Trog Mist Speaker can offer him eyeless sight and magical weapons if he needs it.
- Maelok the Dreadbound offers him additional armor just for being in his CTRL range when hes using Death Pact, and even further armor from the feat. Longchops also appreciates Mortality to assist him in shooting certain targets such as warcasters
- Jaga-Jaga, the Death Charmer offers him signs and portents to assist in his turn to turn shooting
- Croak Raiders compliment him nicely- both like skirmishing with infantry and they can advance deploy up a flank together, where the croaks help keep heat off Longchops and in return he can throw down traps to discourage charges against them.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Against Steady or flight his trap can be very ineffective.
- His traps have to damage in order to knock the model down so it may have difficulty stopping heavies with higher armor.
- He has no way to deal with stealth
- At 5 boxes 12/16 he is fairly squishy to anything above a POW 10.
- A whiffed gunshot can result in no trap. It requires both a hit, and a kill, to place the trap after firing
- For non-minion factions, he is competing to be the only minion solo allowed in your theme force. This means he's up against stiff competition such as Orin Midwinter and Eilish Garrity.
- His gun has a non-optional RFP. This means it will never trigger effects that require "Destroyed" such as Warpath
- Only the squishiest of casters are going to be threatened by him on his lonesome.
Tricks & Tips
- Pathfinder and Repoisition 3" means he can emerge from a forest, take a shot, lay down his trap and slink back into the forest out of LOS.
- The RFP effect on his gun can be quite strong against some models. Notably it denies souls, corpses, and sometimes it breaks models (such as ruining Deathbound if he hits the Leader).
- Place a trap in front of your vulnerable heavy or caster against non steady foes. Nothing can reach them without suffering a potential knockdown and having their activation end.
- Don't be afraid to use him to clear troops too. Not every activation has to be shooting key solos.
- If you really need his trap down to deny an area, weigh up the need to take a shot with his gun. A miss will result in no trap. Sometimes its better to be safe than to be sorry.
- Advance deploy and reposition might make it tempting to run him all the way up the field on his own, but with only average DEF, 5 boxes and a medium base, he doesn't stand up to any retaliation; keep him by other units where it won't make him an obvious target.
- He may not actually threaten casters, but a RNG 12 POW 14 gun is still nothing to scoff at- keep him up in the enemy's flank to bully where your opponent's caster can go.
Released in the Blindwater expansion (2017.09)
Other Theme Forces
Circle Orboros (Edit)
- Secret Masters. This theme doesn't have a limit on how many Minion solos you can take. Also, you can spend Requistion Points on Minion solos.
- The Bones of Orboros
- The Devourer's Host
- The Wild Hunt
Legion of Everblight (Edit)
- Ravens of War
- Children of the Dragon
- Oracles of Annihilation. In this theme (1) There is no limit on the number of Minion solos you can take, (2) Minions become Blighted models, and (3) enemy models that end their activation within 2" of a Blighted model in this theme suffer continuous corrosion.
- Primal Terrors
- Disciples of Agony. There is no limit to the number of Minion solos you can take in this theme.
- The Exalted
- Masters of War
- Winds of Death
Other Minion models