Lieutenant Allison Jakes
|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Lieutenant Allison Jakes |
This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.11. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
You can view the Mk3 models that have been updated on this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
A consummate duelist, Lieutenant Allison Jakes moves across the war-torn battlefields of western Immoren with deadly poise, striking down foes and then darting away in preparation for her next attack. She utilizes her arcane abilities to impart the same fluidity of movement to the warjacks in her battlegroup, granting them a burst of speed at the critical moment or imbuing them with the grace of a duelist.
- Battlegroup Controller - (1) This model is not a warcaster but has the following warcaster special rules: Battlegroup Commander, Focus Manipulation, Power Field, and Spellcaster. (2) This model must have at least one warjack in its battlegroup at the start of the game.
- Dual Attack - This model can make melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Sprint - At the end of an activation in which it destroyed or removed from play one or more enemy models with melee attacks, this model can immediately make a full advance, then its activation ends.
|Each model in the spellcaster's battlegroup that is currently in its control range can immediately advance up to 2". Energizer can be cast only once per activation.|
|Target warjack in the spellcaster's battlegroup gains +2 DEF and cannot become knocked down or be pushed, placed, or moved by a slam. While B2B with the target model, the spellcaster gains +2 DEF and cannot become knocked down or be pushed, placed, or moved by a slam.|
- Flame in the Darkness
- Heavy Metal. Jakes gains Reposition  in this theme.
- Storm Division. Jakes gains Immunity: Electricity in this theme.
- Other Factions
- Mercenary and Khador players can use this unit in the Flame in the Darkness theme.
Thoughts on Jakes1
Jakes1 in a nutshell
Jakes is a character Journeyman Warcaster. She's better at running warjacks because she's got more jack-friendly spells and a better focus stat, but she doesn't come with the Arcane Shield. Bring her if you want a jack or two outside your caster's battlegroup and those jacks need more focus than what they get from Power Up.
Combos & Synergies
Jakes of course has an extra focus to throw around over a normal Journeyman and some interesting spells - giving her a wider range of jacks.
- The Charger for offensive power is perfect (one focus to the Charger, one to upkeep Sidekick, and one to keep the Journeyman alive) and is the normal jack of choice. She can even run two at once - and sometimes get better shots off thanks to Energizer
- The Sentinel has shield guard - but normally works better with a jack marshal than with a point of focus.
- The Hunter has the most firepower and can stay furthest away from its controller. A Def 16 jack that can't be moved is also very good at contesting zones.
- The Thunderhead may seem like over-mounting a warjack, but it's enough of a ranged jack that she can stay far enough back to be safe, and her mobility gives it some very interesting options.
In Flame in the darkness there are some fun choices to consider.
- Mule - With Energizer it gets easier into firing position whilst still making use of it's Steam Lobber special rule.
- Swabber - It provides Girded to her while retaining the push, place and slam immunity, making great contesting and scoring pieces, while occasionally can help reeling in targets for the rest of the army.
- Swashbuckler - Usually melee jacks are ill advised for junior casters, but this one reaches an infuriatingly high DEF under Sidekick - further augmented by cover or concealment, the Morrowan Archon's aura, by duelist in melee, and by Fiona's or Ashlynn1's feat. It also guzzles Focus that merc casters usually can't provide, but Jakes has some to spare.
- Constance Blaize - As a Morrowan model, Jakes can use Connies focus to boost melee attacks. Jakes can use her own focus to buy attacks, so after a good feat turn she can potentially have 6 fully boosted melee attacks.
- With up to 7 attacks thanks to Dual Attack and Focus, damage buffs go a long way for her. Fiona has Curse of Veils, Stryker2 has Positive Charge and Maddox has her feat, if only for her knives.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Doesn't support anything outside her battlegroup
- Kill the Battlegroup Commander, ruin the warjacks
- Despite her melee flicks she lacks Pathfinder.
Tricks & Tips
- Keep her far back until the endgame. It's normally easier to kill the Journeyman than the jacks. She can fight as a solo - but should only ever do so once her jack or jacks have been destroyed or if you are going all-in
- Her gun is good for the occasional potshot, but don't rely on this for your main source of damage.
- Between Energizer and charging, she can get a hand cannon shot into some unusual places thanks to Dual Attack.
- Jakes is one of the Journeyman Warcasters released as part of the WARMACHINE: Tactics videogame Kickstarter (2014)
- She is the main character in the videogame
- She has some backstory in the ebook anthology Rites of Passage, 2014.04, alongside the other Journeymen released in the Tactics game.
- There was a limited edition sculpt available for Kickstarter backers. There is now a non-limited sculpt for general purchase.
- Her rules were published in the Warmachine: Vengeance expansion (2014)
Other Cygnar models
Rules Clarification: : Magical Damage (Edit)
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Battlegroup Controller (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Sprint and/or Run & Gun (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Parry - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Energizer (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Sidekick (Edit)