LPG - Magic vs Magical
| LPG Articles |
- This article is part of Warmachine University's Learning to Play the Game (LPG) series, which is "Basic Training" aimed at new players who are still learning the core rules.
- (You may also be interested in our "Intermediate Training" series, LOTS.)
As of 2018.10 the LPG articles are still a WIP. If you have a question that isn't answered, or a topic you'd like to see added, we'd like to hear about it. Post your thoughts on the Talk:Learning to Play the Game (LPG) page.
(Honestly I'm kind of annoyed that this lesson needs to exist. Like, if PP had called it something like Damage Type: Arcane there would be no need for me write this or for you to read it. Anyway...)
- A Magical attack is not the same thing as a Magic attack.
If you have a defensive buff that works vs one but not the other, you need to know the difference.
- Magical Attack - Any attack that has Damage Type: Magical.
- You can have magical melee attacks, magical ranged attacks, and magical magic attacks. Heck, you could even potentially have magical mount attacks.
- Magic Attack - Any offensive spell.
- Note that there are a few non-offensive spells that do damage anyway (for example Blazing Effigy). If you have a defense vs magic attacks, it won't work vs this damage.
But wait there's more
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)