Theme - Kriel Company
| Theme - Kriel Company |
The trollkin of the United Kriels will stop at nothing to protect their new home. In order to defend against any who would seek to drive them out, militias of resolute trollkin take up arms as companies of warriors. These companies mix traditional martial practices of the trollkin with modern firepower and the might of trolls to crush any opposition.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on Kriel Company
- 3 Other
An army made using the Kriel Company theme force can include only the following Trollblood models:
- Trollblood warlocks
- Non-character warbeasts
- Dozer & Smigg
- Units/solos with ranged weapons
- Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes units
- Weapon crew units
- Sons of Bragg
- Trollkin Runebearer solos
- Troll Whelp solos
- Trollkin battle engines
- This army can also include one Minion solo and one Minion unit that will work for the Trollbloods.
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2019.12 (Edit)
- All Trollblood warlocks
- All non-character Trollblood warbeasts
- Dozer & Smigg
- Other character warbeasts can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Boomhowler1 (★)
- Dannon Blythe & Bull (★)
- Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
- Northkin Fire Eaters
- Northkin Raiders
- Pummeler Crew
- Pyg Burrowers
- Pyg Bushwhackers
- Pyg Lookouts
- Sons of Bragg
- Thumper Crew
- Trollkin Highwaymen
- Trollkin Scouts
- Trollkin Sluggers
- Boomhowler2 (★)
- Braylen Wanderheart
- Fell Caller Hero
- Ledfoot & Tredz (★)
- Pyg Tank (★)
- Trollkin Runebearer
- Troll Whelps
- Up to one solo
- Up to one unit
(★) These Partisan models are allowed via the "model/unit with a ranged weapon" entry, so don't use up your Minion slot.
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- One Trollblood weapon crew unit
- One Trollblood CA
- Five Troll Whelp solos
- One other small- or medium-based Trollblood solo
- Solos in this army gain Mark Target
- Mark Target - Other friendly Faction models gain +2 to ranged attack rolls against enemy models within 5" of this model and in its LOS. If the model with Mark Target is a member of a unit, it must be in formation to grant this bonus.
- Tip: This applies to your Minion solo, too.
- You can reroll your starting roll for the game. Your starting game roll can only be rerolled once as a result of this special rule.
2019.07 Theme Remix
- Game-wide Remix changes
- Theme now allows all non-character warbeasts (it used to just be ones with a ranged weapon)
- Dozer & Smigg added to the list of allowed models.
- The weird quasi-Partisan benefit for Dannon, Bull, and Boomhowler was removed. Instead they just become full-fledged Partisans.
- Five whelps added as a freebie option
- Benefits changed. They used to be ignore warrior models for LOS, and +1 to go first.l
2019.12 Dynamic Update
- No changes to the theme itself, but many of the models within this theme received buffs.
Thoughts on Kriel Company
Kriel Company in a nutshell
Kriel Company is the Trollblood ranged infantry theme - and mark target is a good bonus, especially with access to solos as cheap as Troll Whelps. If you want a Trollblood list focused on gunning down your enemies - or one full of battle engines and tanks - here it is.
Note that if you take (non-Partisan) Minion solos then they get Mark Target - but it benefits friendly faction (i.e. minion) units.
Most of the ranged units in this theme (the good ones anyway) are also available in Storm of the North, which arguably provides better theme benefits. As such when building a Kriel Company list you should focus on the models you can only get in this theme, which are the War Wagons, more than one Pyg Tank and free weapon crews. Fortunately, War Wagons are great and as such there's good reason to run two of them.
The next problem you'll encounter is the lack of damage buffs in this theme. Since this is a Hordes theme this can't be hot fixed by taking Aiyana or Ragman and as such you should pick a warlock with a damage buff.
- Horgle the Anvil's feat boosts damage rolls on burning targets. So, fist light your enemy all up with Fire Eaters and Raiders, then pump out the damage into them with Sluggers, and then crash your War Wagons and Beasts into them.
- Hunters Grim bring Mortality to lower your opponents ARM by 2 for 3 fury.
If you don't shoot the enemy off the board before they get to you, it's looking dire for your victory, since none of the available units are all that great in melee. With the exception of the Sons of Bragg
All in all, you will still struggle against even moderately bricky lists, so your better off playing to your strengths. With all the battle engines, sprays and AOEs and Advance Deploy and Reposition on many of your units, you will clear infantry in droves and be strong on scenario. You can even play it for assassination, especially with Grimm2. This is to say, pair a Kriel Comp list with something better at cracking armour.
As mentioned you need to think your way round the two huge weaknesses above as not being able to handle the armour in even a list with two heavies is a major weakness. You need a plan for that.
There is one common high level competitive list that makes an end-run round the weaknesses of the theme force and needs handling by itself; Kriel Company is the only list that allows the War Wagon - and it also allows the Hearthgut Hooch Hauler. The battle engines (post Battle Engine CID) are all good, and this means that Kriel Company is played at high level with two War Wagons, a Hooch Hauler, and a gargantuan. Throw in a Krielstone and a minimum unit of Pyg Lookouts and that's your three free models (probably with Grim Angus as a feat-on-a-stick with Return Fire).
Requisition Point Use
- Six point options Boomhowler, Solo Artist, Pummeler Crew, Dhunian Archon (uses minion slot)
- Five point options Trollkin Runebearer, Fell Caller Hero, Braylen Wanderheart, Trollkin Outlaw, Thumper Crew
There are a few obvious warlocks for this list - the three shooters and one slightly offbeat one that's the most flexible choice.
- Grim Angus
- Hunters Grim
- Captain Gunnbjorn
- Horgle the Anvil - he may sound like an odd choice but the boosted ranged damage really helps cover the weakness of the list.
- Released 2017.09
Other Trollblood models/themes
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Themes that change a model's Faction [Show/Hide]
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Including Partisan Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
See also these Theme-Specific Rulings [Show/Hide]