|We have 1198 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Feora2 (theme thoughts)||Imperatus (Dawnguard and non-vyros combos)|
| Kraken |
The Kraken ranks among the most terrifying necromechanikal fabrications ever loosed upon the mortals of the Iron Kingdoms. Lashing out with grasping tentacles, it snatches up men and stuffs them within the grease-slicked orifices of its shell. The captured have but a moment of terror to consider their lightless environs before their bodies and life energies are extracted by a necromantic furnace that fuels the Kraken’s engines and armament. The Kraken was conceived as the perfect Cryxian engine of death—a machine that could strike from below with overwhelming force, devour its victims, refuel itself on their carcasses, and then vanish beneath the waves.
- Colossal - Colossals are giant warjacks, even bigger and stompier. They all share a stack of standard special rules (click the link for full details).
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Amphibious - This model treats shallow water as open terrain while advancing. While completely in shallow water, this model gains concealment and does not block line of sight.
- Kill Shot - Once per activation, when an enemy model is destroyed or removed from play as a result of a melee attack made by this model during its activation, immediately after that attack is resolved this model can make one basic ranged attack.
- Bone Picker - When this model destroys a living or undead enemy model with a melee attack, this model gains the destroyed model's corpse token and the destroyed model is removed from play. This model can have up to three corpse tokens at any time.
- Meat-Fueled - This model gains +1 STR for each corpse token on it.
- Crucible of Death - This model can spend up to three corpse tokens at the start of its activation to gain 1 focus point for each corpse token spent.
- Harvester (x2) - 2" reach (plus Chain Strike), POW 3, P+S 19 melee weapons
- Hellblaster - 16" range, 5" AOE, POW 14 ranged attack
- Doom Driver - This weapon gains +1 to its damage rolls for each corpse token on this model.
- Flayer - 12" range, ROF d3+1, POW 12 ranged attack
- Black Industries
- Dark Host
- The Ghost Fleet
- Infernal Machines
- Scourge of the Broken Coast
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders. Kraken gains Gang Fighter in this theme.
Thoughts on the Kraken
The Kraken in a nutshell
The Kraken is a solid option in the Cryxian arsenal. It is rather atypical for a Cryx model, as it is durable and has an exceptionally long ranged presence, both of which contributes to its success. It also has a very high natural threat range for a Colossal due to Chain Strike. Coupled with the usual Cryx debuff tricks you can definitely surprise an opponent by hitting way above its estimated class.
Kraken or Sepulcher?
The Kraken and Sepulcher are sold together as a multikit (unless you buy one of the really old kits). A common question new players ask is "Which should I build?" The correct answer is "Magnets." Moving right along, though...
The Kraken is pure offense, with a powerful main gun and a corpse mechanic which makes itself stronger. The Sepulcher on the other hand is a "Support Colossal" with less powerful guns and a corpse mechanic which reinforces Mechanithralls. Unfortunately Mechanithralls are a bit of a 'cannon fodder' unit and are only available in one theme force, Infernal Machines, which is widely viewed as the worst theme that Cryx has with subpar models and subpar benefits. So until such time that the rules for the Sepulcher are revised and it (hopefully) becomes unshackled from its Mechanithrall anchor, you're better off with the Kraken.
Combos & Synergies
The Kraken is a huge-based model, and among the beefiest in the faction. Make no mistake, anything that can destroy 2 heavy warjacks, can make short work on the Kraken too, but its huge footprint provides mobile cover for fragile Cryxian warcasters. Shadow Fire still invalidates its LOS blocking function, but pushes and slams will leave it in place.
The Kraken typically seeks a caster who can increase it's threat range and accuracy. Also any caster that can give it a bonus to armor will significantly increase it's potential, virtue of having so many hitpoints.
- Field Marshal: Unyielding is great on the Kraken as it adds to its already impressive survivability.
- Mobility is also a huge boon for the Kraken, increasing its threat range to beyond most normal warjacks.
- Captain Aiakos: His feat will give the Kraken a very nice threat range boost, including the possibility of assaulting a target with the intention to gain greater range on its Hellblaster.
- Goreshade, Lord of Ruin: The Kraken is a great target for Infernal Machine, increasing its already-good threat range and increasing its accuracy significantly against infantry ... and casters.
- Lich Lord Terminus: The huge base blocks line of sight to Terminus and takes the heat off the big man himself, as well as giving Terminus an effective focus sink to boost its shooting.
- Lord Exhumator Scaverous: Death Ward is nice on the Kraken to increase its already impressive survivability.
- Master Necrotech Mortenebra:
- A huge part of Mortenebra's strategy is getting Overrun to trigger. By the sheeer virute of having so many attacks and being so big, the Kraken nearly guarantees you get a kill.
- Mortenebra typically runs a small army, and is easy to see with her medium base, so having a giant Colossal to hide behind is useful.
- Spectral Steel significantly increases it's survival.
- Mortenebra is very proficient at repairs.
- Interface potentially gives the Kraken all 7 of Mortenebra's focus to boost its shooting attacks, which can be quite interesting.
- Pirate Queen Skarre:
- The Kraken is a very nice feat target, and on feat turn, it will be nigh-unkillable, giving you a great chance to put pressure on the opponent.
- Dark Guidance helps him a lot to handle DEF12+ targets.
- Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast
- Death Ward is nice on the Kraken to increase its already impressive survivability.
- It is also a great feat target, and on feat turn, it will be nigh-unkillable, giving you a great chance to put pressure on the opponent.
- Black Spot on the Kraken's target is still ridiculously good, since it allows you to fire the Hellblaster every time you trigger Black Spot. At maximum luck, you can get 6 Hellblaster shots per activation (4 Flayer shots triggering 4 free Hellblasters, then your actual initial Hellblaster shot (5) triggering another free Hellblaster (6) ).
- Her Field Marshal[Future Sight] helps him a lot with focus efficiency by allowing to boost to hit after rolling.
- The Witch Coven of Garlghast: The Kraken is a great target for Infernal Machine, increasing its already-good threat range and increasing its accuracy significantly against infantry ... and casters.
- Aiakos1: While this can be a very risky maneuver, you can place the Kraken under his care to provide increased threat with no focus burden on your caster.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Big target with no way to hide - and usually ends up high on the target list
- No arc node on it (though there are numerous cheap solutions for that)
- MAT6 is actually a problem against DEF13+ targets
Tricks & Tips
- Remember Doom Driver adds to the damage roll, not the POW. This difference affects your blast damage calculation.
- Chain Strike lasts only during your activation. You'll deliver free strikes only up to 2".
- Chain Strike does not stack with Power Attacks, so you still must get within 2" to Throw/Powerstrike/Sweep your opponent.
- Originally released in the Colossals expansion (2012)
Other Cryx models