Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn
|We have 1356 articles and 93% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn |
Possessing immense arcane ability and a talent for the divinatory arts, Issyria has become one of the greatest military assets of House Nyarr. That she has done so while declining to wield a weapon is all the more remarkable. In combat, Issyria uses her powers to perceive the flow of battle, gaining a peerless understanding of each movement and action around her and directing her myrmidons to serve as perfect fulcrums of force. When she enters her meditative trance the world seems to freeze and the best tactical course becomes clear.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Issyria1
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. Click here for a newbie-friendly recap, or click here for the full rules.
Feat : Dawn's Light
While in Issyria's control range, friendly Faction models gain True Sight (refer to her Abilities) and gain one additional die on attack and damage rolls. For each of those rolls, discard one die of your choice. Dawn's Light lasts for one turn.
- Ancillary Attack (★ Action) - RNG 3. Target friendly Faction warjack. If the warjack is in range, it immediately makes one basic melee or ranged attack. A warjack can be targeted by an Ancillary Attack special action only once per turn.
- Arcane Vortex - This model can immediately negate any spell that targets it or a model within 3" of it by spending 1 focus token. The negated spell does not take effect, but its COST remains spent.
- True Sight - This model ignores cloud effects when determining LOS. This model also ignores Stealth.
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
|When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of target model in the spellcaster's battlegroup, the affected model can immediately advance up to 3", then Admonition expires. The affected model cannot be targeted by free strikes during this movement.|
| Blinding Light
|Target enemy model/unit cannot make ranged or magic attacks and suffers -2 DEF for one round.|
| Crusader's Call
|Friendly Faction models beginning a charge in the spellcaster's control range gain +2" movement. Crusader's Call lasts for one turn.|
| Inviolable Resolve
|Target friendly Faction model/unit gains +2 ARM and cannot be moved by a push or a slam. Models are not affected while out of formation.|
|The spellcaster can spend up to 3 focus points to immediately advance up to 2" for each focus point spent. Velocity can be cast only once per activation.|
Thoughts on Issyria1
Issyria1 in a Nutshell
One of the few casters in the game with no weapon, Issyria is a pure support caster. She is inclined towards buffs and, without any noticeable offensive capability (outside the Ancillary attack), this can make learning curve steeper that with other casters.
She has SPD, ARM and MAT/RAT fixers, as well as a speed booster for herself, but usually must play in the backfield if she wants to see the end of the match.
It is mostly about crit fishing and delivering a crippling (alpha) strike upon your foe. Timing is tricky, if you want to use it to its fullest potential. True Sight matters only until you get close enough that Stealth won't mean problem, or if your enemy deploys a large amount of smoke to blunt your charge (Trenchers, Swap Gobbers, and the like). On any other occasion you better hold it until you can do the most damage with your amped up blows and shots. Weapon master infantries will have to worry less about bad dice rolls on attack or damage (MHA, do you hear that?), while models with critical effects (like Hyperion) will find it all the easier to trigger their abilities.
- Admonition - usually it will be another layer of self defence for her, if you ran into an enemy assassination attempt. Watch out for models with Counter-Charge.
- Blinding Light - Issyria's signature spell, it is quite potent when used against the right target.
- It's her bread and butter for fixing RAT and MAT issues.
- It can completely neuter any opposing ranged or magic-missile model/unit (such as Hex Hunters, Long Gunners, Greylord Outriders, etc) for a turn, as its effect is unshakeable.
The value of this is directly proportional to the points cost of your target - getting it onto a shooty gargossal or shooty battle engine is great.
- Getting it onto an enemy caster who relies on offensive spells (such as Deneghra1) is absolute money.
- Crusader's Call - a no-frills spell; making your fast melee units even faster, and speeding up your slower brawlers.
- Inviolable Resolve - The extra ARM makes it suitable for any model in your army. Putting a Helios to DEF14 ARM21 is an insult in itself. see army selection for other suitable units.
- Velocity - do not skip leg day, else it will take 3 FOC to get as far with floating as far as with running. Ahem... Use this to run forward for capturing scenario elements, or get away from danger. Since it equals to your speed, you can regard it as the poor man's Teleport, after dropping some spells.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- More than any other caster in the game, she absolutely needs her army to get the job done.
- Usual caveat for being unarmed: no charge, no free strike, and no "failed charge" to increase your mobility.
- Very fragile.
- Vulnerable to anti magic techs, as well as attacks (Eiryss1) or feats (Reznik1) which strip your FOCUS.
Tricks & Tips
- Admonition does not trigger on place effects. Beware models with Apparition, Telekinesis, or various feats, who can get close to your enhanced model without advancing.
- Ancillary attack happens outside the model's activation, so you cannot boost (unless the attack itself is auto-boosted for some reason).
- Dawn's Light work on your attacks too, including the Ancillary attacks.
- Ancillary attack is not an Attack per se, which enables Issyria (but not her jack) to bypass feats or spells which would deny attacks or magic attacks.
List Building Advice
Issyria must win on attrition and scenario. More than any other caster, she must apply the right buff on the right unit in the right time. Anything else will make her lines crumble, and she has no direct ways to help them on the attack. Protect your troops, use terrain wisely, and concentrate on the scenario. Try and get the best alpha possible. If every model in your army can benefit from her feat, it can often be enough to win a game.
Issyria finds a lot of good targets for both her spells and feat in this theme.
- Dawnguard Sentinels - The become extremely durable under Involable Resolve and minifeat, and Crusaders Call helps enourmously with delivery, which can be a huge problem with them.
- Dawnguard Sentinel Scyir - He brings a useful Tactician bubble and is a decent combat solo. You can even use Ancilliary attack on his marshalled jack (if you brought one).
- Dawnguard Destors - The other great targets for Inviolable Resolve and Crusaders Call.
- Dawnguard Destor Thane - He makes the Destors under Inviolable Resolve even beefier.
- Dawnguard Invictors - The really like her feat for anti stealth.
- Dawnguard Trident - Crusaders Call helps again with delivery and set it up for Shooting Gallery. With Blinding Light, Hemera's Mark Target and Shooting Gallery is can reach effective RAT 12 and under feat is become a really scary shooting piece.
- Ryssovass Defenders - Drop Inviolable Resolve upon them, and they start to shrug off blast damage. Add in a Lys Healer for no-knockdown Toughs, and Crusader's Call to charge as far as they would run. 5D6 damage on a charge with Precision Strike plus picking out whichever you want will result in a lot of destroyed jacks and beasts.
- Stormfall Archers - Fixing their accuracy issues with Blinding Light and feat, while the latter also elevates their Brutal Shots' damage to insane levels.
- Houseguard Halberdiers - Yet another good target for Inviolable Resolve, meaning that your ARM20 shield wall will stay in place. Crusader's Call takes their already considerable threat range up to ridiculous levels, especially when under Desperate Pace from their Houseguard Thane.
- Heavy Rifle Team - They get extremely accurate under her feat and also get to ignore stealth. And on top of that they provide Advance Move at a budget.
- The Trident is also in this theme.
- The House Shyeel Artificer, mentioned above, can also be in this theme.
- House Shyeel Magister - Useful to beat /smite jamming models out of your way.
- Sylys' Free upkeep, possibly two with Hemera, as well as a RNG12" Blinding light is tempting, and Arcane Secrets under her feat almost guarantees a hit.
- Fane Knight Guardian - Being fragile, Issyria welcomes any shield guard near her; especially those as durable as the Fane Knight in her CMD radius. Her DEF is pumped up to insane levels, if the enemy manages to engage her. With Parry she can also walk/fly away from unwanted engagements, once the enemy reached her, and she survived. However, a high DEF low ARM caster is often the victim of assassination runs, involving knockdown / stationary attacks, and the Knight doesn't offer defense against them.
- Madelyn Corbeau - Her Parlay can fend off warrior models getting too close to you.
- Note that Madelyn is in direct competition with Wishnailer.
- Arcanist Mechanik - Essential in almost every Retribution lists. Helps Issyria keep some more focus on herself to protect against a casual assassination attempt. Because you cannot have too many focus on your jacks.
- Artificer - Don't worry about blasts anymore!
- Lanyssa Ryssyl - Hunter's Mark and Crusaders Call combined make her forces go really far.
- Ghost Sniper - Any ranged model likes True Sight from her feat.
- Hyperion - With the strongest ranged weapon in the game combined with Issyria's ability to have him shoot again? Yes, please. Though her Ancillary Attack won't boost its shot, it is still one of the best ranged attack you can choose. The feat also makes the Critical Consume more reliable, as the player gets to choose which die to drop.
- Phoenix/Chimera - Fragile caster with good spells = bring arc nodes. The Chimera in particular is useful because of its apparition to help it get that extra step around the battlefield. Plus it can often teleport away from jamming units, who would like to stop you from arcing by engaging your jacks. The Phoenix is extremely durable, so abuse him until he has done his job of arcing and slashing.
- Hemera - Issyria's character 'jack and fits into any theme with her. The empowered arc node gives you the possibility of 3 boosted Blinding Lights. The gun is also not bad choice for Ancillary Attack, and under the feat you can e
- Sphinx - The extra range on Blinding Light can go a long way.
- Battle Engine: Dawnguard Trident (1 or 2)
- Battle Engine: Arcantrik Force Generator (0 or 1)
- Warjack: Harpy (2 or 3)
- Unit: House Vyre Electromancers (1 or 2)
- Solo: Arcanist Mechanik (1 to 3)
- Solo: Ghost Sniper (0 to 2)
- Solo: Eiryss1
- Solo: Scythe
- Solo: Hermit
- Solo: Void Archon
When you're running Issyria, you might want to adjust the above list by Placeholder
- Released in the Warmachine: Vengeance expansion (2014)
- This model has a limited edition sculpt, released in 2020.07.
Video Battle Reports
- 2019.03 Feat Fetish, vs Aiakos2
- 2018.12 Tiny Men, vs Sorscha1
- 2018.10 Arcane Assist, vs Ossrum
- 2018.04 Advanced Maneuvers, vs Severius2
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Other Retribution models
|* What does trigger Admonition