Theme - Infernal Machines
You may be looking for one of these:
| Theme - Infernal Machines |
The true might of the Nightmare Empire lies in its endless tide of undead thralls and the power of its helljacks.
|An army made use the Infernal Machines theme force can include only the following Cryx models:|
Full model list
The models allowed in Infernal Machines are: [Show/Hide]
This list was last updated: 2018.05 (Edit)
Thoughts on this Infernal Machines
Infernal Machines in a nutshell
This theme specialises in the mindless thralls of Cryx, which are the "cheap swarm" undead, and also warjacks.
Alternatively it's the Cryx theme force for warjacks, giving them hyper-aggressive for free. The trick to an Infernal Machines list built this way is that if you're building jack-heavy you build your list normally then see how close you are to this theme force.
Competitiveness Infernal Machines is generally considered to be not competitive, althougth it is considered the second best way of spamming infantry in Cryx (after The Ghost Fleet). Lots of infantry, lots of recursion - but Infernal Machines lacks Gang when compared to Ghost Fleet. It also gets fewer free points than Ghost Fleet.
The changes to Ghost Fleet (specifically to the Revenant Crew of the Atramentous coupled with the nerfs to Deneghra1) have opened some space for reconsideration of the place of Infernal Machines within Cryx. While the benefits of IM are indeed questionable at best--neither Hyper-Aggressive on jacks nor ambushing Mechanithralls are by themselves particularly impressive--the theme does offer a great deal of flexibility in terms of list building, has access to strong character choices, can take Wraith Engines (although sadly, not for theme points as in Dark Host), and can work with nearly any caster in the faction.
For the most part, the troop options that count towards acquiring a free solo in Infernal Machines are not as well-rounded as those that are available to other themes like Dark Host, Scourge of the Broken Coast, or Slaughter Fleet Raiders. Another constraint on list-building is that a number of the theme's best pieces do not count towards free points. For this reason, it is recommended to build with an eye towards meeting only the bare minimum thresholds for free solos (either two Pistol Wraiths or two Warwitch Sirens), typically aiming for 40-point modules in a 75-pt list. This frees up thirty-five points (plus a caster's WJPs) towards loading up on your battlegroup, taking support pieces like Aiakos, Hellslinger Phantom, and the Withershadow Combine, or investing in elite mercenary options like Wrongeye & Snapjaw.
Fundamentally, the thralls are the low-quality troops of Cryx. In previous editions you can sprinkle a few elite units amongst them, but with the way themes work in Mk3 you're stuck with nothing but the thralls which ... just doesn't work.
No FA bonus
It does nothing to increase FA. So the only reason you can swarm better than out of theme is that you get your Necrosurgeons for free.
List Building Tips
Despite the variety of options available to the theme, there are no particularly strong synergies worth pursuing via a "combined arms" approach to list-building with Infernal Machines. Indeed, the units (and solos) available to the theme all tend to work best when spammed or taken in pairs. This perspective yields a few different archetypes:
- Dawn of the Dead: Three full units of Mechanithralls with maximum Brutes (one of which is ambushing), and two units of Necrosurgeons. A Skarlock UA for one of the non-ambushing units and a Skarlock Thrall attachment for the caster (ideally, one with access to Ghost Walk) round out a 60 pt module. Since the days of MK2, this build has long been a bog standard for Terminus and Skarre1, although Dark Host is hands-down the better theme for both of them now.
- Death Race: Two full units of Soulhunters and a Skarlock Thrall. 40 pts. No ambushing Mechanithralls. Again, Ghost Walk or at least Saxon Orrik are much appreciated. Darragh Wrathe and the Wraith Engine are solid support pieces for this build. A caster with Curse of Shadows like Goreshade2, Deneghra2, or the Witch Coven of Garlghast could run this module exceptionally well.
- The Birds: Two full units of Carrion Thralls backed by a pair of Necrosurgeons, with a min unit of Mechanithralls and three Brutes for the ambush. Again, 40 pts. This module has the benefit of not caring about a lot of terrain. This build gels very nicely with Goreshade3's typical gameplan. Casters with scary assassination threats like Asphyxious1, Captain Aiakos, or even the much-maligned Sturgis2 could also get a lot of mileage out of a module of fast, cheap, recurring jammers that come with two free solos.
- The Purge: Two max units of Bile Thralls with Skarlock UAs for Advanced Deployment, trailed by two necrosurgeons, and supported by two Bloat Thralls with Mobius, and an additional two points to taste (Soul Trappers or a Skarlock Thrall, depending on the caster) to get to 60 pts. Alternately, downgrade the Bile Thralls to min units and add in a min unit of Mechanithralls and three brutes to ambush. This build is definitely more on the casual side, especially in a meta that favors high-ARM multi-wound models. Still, someone like Bane Witch Agathia could have a lot to offer this sort of build.
One last note: Go for either your jack line (which would probably be better in Black Industries anyway) or your McThrall swarm. Not both.
- Aiakos2 goes well with McThralls, fixing their MAT - and also likes the jacks he gets - and finally gives this list an assassination threat.
- Lich Lord Terminus makes the entire swarm tough. You can even bring Orin to protect him from spells.
- Deneghra2 goes well with everything.
Released around about 2016.07
Other Cryx models
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Benefits for a single model/unit (eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Number of free models [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Slaughter Fleet Raiders [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]