|We have 1351 articles and 91% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Ice Troll |
Ice trolls use their innate connection to the elemental power of cold to create frozen javelins from thin air. They hurl these projectiles great distances to impale hapless warriors and pierce the flesh of warbeasts. Any who survive the impact die slower as icy javelins freeze their body from within.
- Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good. Click here for a newbie-friendly recap, or click here for the full rules.
- Immunity: Cold
- Regeneration [d3] - This model can be forced to remove d3 damage points once per activation. This model cannot use Regeneration during an activation it runs.
- Thrown Ice Spear - 10" range, POW 13 gun
- Ice Spear - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Critical Freeze - As above
|The spellcaster gains Swift Hunter. Recoil lasts for one turn.
Thoughts on Ice Troll
Ice Troll in a nutshell
The Ice Troll is the basic line ranged option of the Northkin. It has a strong ranged presence relative to its points, and synergizes well with the different options inside the Northkin theme force. Legitimately considered a discount Troll Impaler, the Ice Troll has a worse ranged attack and isn't as tough but is cheaper and better in melee. It can also get more places with natural pathfinder.
It's just a cheap and effective ranged warbeast, who can trade in melee if needed. You get the most from it when stacking passive Northkin buffs.
Combos & Synergies
The Ice Troll is a nice self-sufficient warbeast although the warbeast synergy needs mentioning first.
- Krielstone and especially the Northkin Elder help it survive longer and hit harder.
- Dire Troll Mauler (or for that matter Mountain King) can give it Rage - which because it's a thrown weapon adds to the ranged damage of the ice troll.
- Borka, Vengeance of the Rimeshaws gives counter-charge - and on a mat 6 model with Reach this is very nice.
- Captain Gunnbjorn provides both Kill Shot and boosted ranged attack rolls.
- Hunters Grim are of course good with shooters.
- Grissel Bloodsong, Marshal of the Kriels: Swift Hunter on her is nice!
- Hearthgut Hooch Hauler - veteran leader and stumbling drunk is good on anyone.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Warlocks with ranged attacks prefer the far strike animus from the Troll Impaler or Dire Troll Bomber
- P+S 13 is a weird position - overkill on infantry and not hard enough hitting to break heavies.
Tricks & Tips
Remember that when push comes to shove the Ice Troll is better in melee than at range - higher MAT than RAT, hits just as hard, and can buy extra attacks. Range is to soften up targets and kill solos before you go into melee.
The Northkin elder can add +2 damage to his ranged attack.
Critical fishing with the Dhunian Knot can be fun, especially on battle engines and structures.
Originally released in the Northkin CID (2017.07)
Other Trollblood models
|See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.