|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Hurricane |
This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.12. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
You can view the Mk3 models that have been updated on this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
Stormwalls and Hurricanes tower over Cygnar’s enemies with the majesty and menace of a looming cloudburst. From the thunder of its guns to the blinding arcs of electricity from its lightning pods, the Stormwall is the mechanikal embodiment of the tempest. The Hurricane is a state-of-the-art weapons platform designed to put down the heaviest enemy targets while offering arcane support for its warcaster through its arc node. These technological marvels pound the battlefield with a hailstorm of cannon shells before smashing survivors with their giant fists.
Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click here for a newbie-friendly recap, or click here for the full rules.
Colossal - Colossals are mega-warjacks, even bigger and stompier. They use nearly all the same rules as normal warjacks but with a few alterations. These changes are summarized here or can be read in full here.
- Arc Node
- Immunity: Electricity
- Turbulence - Models activating within 12" of this model lose Flight for one round.
|Storm Emitter (×2)|
|12||1||-||16||Left + Right|
|14||1||4||13||Left + Right|
|Shock Fist (×2)|
|2||3||20||Left + Right|
- Other Factions
- Infernal players can use it in Hearts of Darkness, but only if Sloan is leading the army. This model gains Accumulator [Soulless] in this theme.
- Mercenary and Khador players can use it Flame in the Darkness
- Mercenary and Convergence players can use it by putting it under the control of Nemo4 in various themes.
Thoughts on Hurricane
Hurricane in a nutshell
The Hurricane is Cygnar's second Colossal - an arc node centrepiece for your army (so it can extend the range of your spells.) with two very powerful main guns and a couple of decent secondary guns. As a rule, the Stormwall is better at hurting infantry and gets lightning pods, the Hurricane is better at hurting armoured targets and gets an arc node.
Combos & Synergies
- ARM 19 is fair, but not exactly exceptional. With such a large points investment, you want to be casting Arcane Shield on the Hurricane to keep it in the game as long as possible.
- So if that's not available to your Warcaster, it really is a good idea to include a Journeyman Warcaster.
- Its main guns are electrical meaning it takes all the electrical buffs and suffers electrical immunities - models like the Firefly and Nemo3 buff it
- Assassination 'casters love the potential of the enemy Warcaster getting knocked down. The Slam from the Storm Emitters offers this from a significant distance.
- Many of the Snipe casters are worth looking at. This puts the range of the Storm Emitters safely outside of the charge range of the models you really want to knock down or slam (or their friends). Although often the poor cousins, its cannons at 18" range are quite threatening, too.
- Hermit - Mad Visions keeps it safe(r) from being demolished and Master of Ruin really cranks up its output
Flames in the Darkness combos
- Ashlynn2 - It is able to do solid work with Hand of Fate on it.
- Crosse2 - Fire Group is a decent spell for it and about 15 shield guards thanks to Lifebound can keep it safe from shooting in turn. Ghost Walk and Tactician from Gabriel Throne also alleviate much of the downsides of Turbulence for your Archons.
- Zerkova1 - She always wanted an ARC node for her offensive spells and Thunder Charge and Watcher make for a mean combo. Like Crosse, she has Ghost Walk, too.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- The more jacks you have, the more Power Up focus you have access to. With two Defenders, you can have two fully boosted (i.e. hit and damage rolls) Heavy Barrel shots. With the same two focus applied to a Hurricane, you can only fully boost one Storm Emitter shot and either boost the attack roll or damage roll for the 2nd.
- This is what makes a Hurricane a worthwhile option with Caine2 or Caine0 - Fire for Effect means you fully boost one Storm Emitter, allocate one focus to boost the attack roll of the second and use the Power Up focus to boost the damage roll.
- Despite being able to shoot when engaged, it still can't arc spells when engaged.
- Its excellent main guns are useless vs lightning immune targets. So Krueger2 becomes a real problem.
- While several of the 'casters in Flame in the Darkness would appreciate the Hurricane as a powerful model with great guns and an arc node, remember that Turbulence will turn off flight on your own Morrowan Archon and Thamarite Archon models- not an ideal situation by any means.
- Watch out for Windswept terrains in SR2021 scenarios - if your opponent loses Flight, it will be unaffected by Windswept's double move cost, and may charge/move through the terrain unimpeded. This is especially pronounced if they can get Pathfinder.
Tricks & Tips
- Flatten everything. Worry about engaging if you really want the arc node to come into play.
- Turbulence is great to mess with the enemy's fliers who happen to hug terrain pieces. As only a handful of them have Pathfinder beside Flight, catching them in the Turbulence aura can severely decrease their mobility.
- Enemies have to activate within 12" of the Hurricane to lose Flight. Watch out for armies (most notably the Strange Bedfellows), who can place their models just outside the aura to activate normally and still have enough threat range to get to you.
- The rules were published in the Warmachine : Reckoning expansion book (2015), but the model was released in April 2017.
- Part of the "second wave" of colossal models.
Other Cygnar models
Rules Clarification : Electricity (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Thunder Charge (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Open Fist (aka, Power Attack Throw) (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Cortex Damage (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Colossal (Edit)
Huge Base (Edit)
Also, simply being on a huge base triggers a bunch of rules scattered throughout the rulebook, click to read them. [Show/Hide]
From the 2020.02 edition of the core rules (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Warjack (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Construct - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Pathfinder (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Turbulence (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Channeler and/or Arc Node (Edit)
Channeling in melee
Channeler - LOS
Caster - Attack roll
Stealth - It affects both LOS and the attack roll