Companies of riflemen have joined the Retribution in number and serve as the long-reaching line for the army abroad. They wield heavy rifles capable of delivering punishing firepower against the human armies that so greatly outnumber them. Every rifleman is trained to take careful aim and regard each trigger pull as a prospective kill.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thought on Houseguard Riflemen
- 3 Other
Special Order Model
International distributors can still access the entire catalog of models.
- Entire unit
- Combined Ranged Attack - This unit can combine their ranged attacks to get a cumulative +1 bonus on accuracy and damage for each model involved.
- Practiced Maneuvers - Each model in this unit can ignore other models in this unit when determining LOS and can advance through them if it has enough movement to move completely past them.
- Officer only
- The officer has +1 MAT & RAT and 5 hitpoints.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: War Tempered - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain War Tempered. (War-Tempered - Models with War-Tempered can make CRA vs targets in melee. If the attack misses and is randomised vs a new model, participants that would auto-miss the new model do not contribute to the CRA bonus but still forfeit their attacks.)
- Whites of Their Eyes (Minifeat) - Once per game the unit gains Trained Fire. (Trained Fire - This model gains an additional die on ranged attack rolls against models within 8" of it.)
- Standard only
- Standard Bearer - While this model is within 5" of the unit commander, the unit commander gains +2 CMD.
- Take Up - If this model is destroyed, you can choose a Grunt in this unit within 1" of it to be destroyed instead. Effects on this model expire, and it gains the effects on the chosen Grunt. Remove the Grunt from the table instead of this model. This model has the same number of unmarked damage boxes as the chosen Grunt.
- Everyone except the standard
- Long Rifle - 14" range, POW 10 ranged attack.
- Sword - 0.5" reach, P+S 7 melee attack
- Standard Bearer
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
- You may add up to 3 Soulless Escorts to this unit. Their info has been omitted for brevity.
Thought on Houseguard Riflemen
Houseguard Riflemen in a nutshell
Houseguard Riflemen, along with the Winter Guard Rifle Corps and the Long Gunners have the longest range in the game among the ranged infantry units. Beside having access to Practiced Manoeuvrers, Khador has weapon attachments to boost the damage output, Cygnar's soldiers sport Dual Fire and some extra mobility with Flawless Manoeuvrers, and Retribution has ways to engage targets in melee. They have superior stats to their competitors, but average troops still don't sweat much about hitting and killing them.
Thoughts on adding the CA and/or WA
What's not to like about CRA-ing into melee? And to help out, when the lines close, souped up accuracy can be leveraged for a round of shooting.
Combos & Synergies
- Lord Arcanist Ossyan fixes virtually everything that's an issue for the Houseguard Riflemen:
- Damage output - feat
- Low RAT despite CRA - Fortune (everyone loves a re-roll)
- Mass dude removal - Shatterstorm (pretty sweet splash damage)
- Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn does similarly, except no Shatterstorm. But she can alleviate the Thane's burdens, providing True Sight for a key turn.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They're a special order model.
- Given their abilities and options next to their equivalents in other factions, Houseguard Riflemen are quite expensive and offer little by way of anything either new or particularly flexible.
- They're a low impact unit who need more help than one is usually comfortable with providing (5 POW 12 is not very inspiring, even from RNG 14).
- Shooting into melee to unjam something is often a waste. Because of the penalty and potential for redirecting into the back of your own model, that shot needs to be landed without fail... so a 5-man CRA is usually a minimum so as not to fluff it (against warnouns, never mind warriors)... but this is often either not enough to clear the jam (the POW of the shot is useless against the boxes), or complete overkill (high DEF and low boxes which would usually never withstand a 2-man CRA, never mind a larger one).
Tricks & Tips
- Per model, they cost just as much for a min unit as a max unit, so it is a reasonable option to take a min unit accompanied by a Thane for long range solo hunting.
Released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
Other Retribution models
Note to Editors