Hoarluk Doomshaper, Dire Prophet & Scroll Bearers
|We have 1341 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
Hoarluk Doomshaper has cemented himself by word and deed as an essential pillar of the United Kriels, preaching a violent rhetoric embracing aggression and the annihilation of all foes. He has proven that victory cannot be attained through peace, but instead requires strength and ruthless ferocity. He has scoured every sacred site and spent endless hours collecting a wealth of ancient teachings. A number of stout pygmy trolls volunteered to help shoulder the legendary shaman’s burden, bearing enough scrolls and cases to rival the weight of equipment borne by heavily armored kriel warriors.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Doomshaper3
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Warlock Unit - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. Furthermore, this warlock comes with some grunts that can be ordered around. Click here for a newbie-friendly recap, or click here for the full rules.
- This unit is made up of Doomshaper and the Scroll Bearers.
Feat: Blood of Dhunia
- While within Doomshaper's control range, models in his battlegroup gain an additional die on melee attack rolls.
- When a model in Doomshaper's battlegroup that is in control range is hit by an enemy attack, after the attack is resolved remove d3+3 damage points from the model.
- Blood of Dhunia lasts for one round.
- Hyper-Regeneration - Remove d3 damage points from this model at the start of each of its activations.
- Field Marshal [Hyper-Regeneration] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Hyper-Regeneration.
- Trollkin - Doomshaper is a Trollkin model, but the unit isn't.
- Kriel Staff - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon
|When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of target model in the spellcaster's battlegroup, the affected model can immediately advance up to 3", then Admonition expires. The affected model cannot be targeted by free strikes during this movement.|
|While in the spellcaster's control range, models in its battlegroup cannot become knocked down, cannot be placed or pushed, and cannot be moved by a slam. Implacability lasts for one round.|
|Enemy upkeep spells and animi spells on the model/unit directly hit by Repudiate immediately expire. When an upkeep spell expires as a result of Repudiate, the model maintaining the spell suffers d3 damage points.|
|A model damaged by Stranglehold forfeits either its Normal Movement or its Combat Action during its next activation, as its controller chooses.|
|Target enemy warbeast suffers -2 FURY and THR and loses its animus. The spellcaster can cast an affected warbeast's animus as if the animus belonged to a warbeast in the spellcaster's battlegroup and control range.|
Doomshaper's unit comes with a single Scroll Bearers model (it's a plural because are several Pygs on a single base)
- Pyg - The Scroll Bearers is a Pyg model, but the unit isn't.
- Scroll Bearer - Once at any time during each of Doomshaper's activations while he is B2B with this model, he can use one of the following scrolls. Each scroll can be used only once per game.
- Scroll of the Call of Troqal - While in Doomshaper's control range, each warbeast in his battlegroup can gain 0 fury when forced to use its animus instead of gaining fury points equal to the COST of the animus. Scroll of the Call of Troqal lasts for one turn.
- Scroll of the Hand of Yolandi - While in Doomshaper's control range, enemy models pay double the focus or fury point cost to cast or upkeep spells. Scroll of the Hand of Yolandi lasts for one round.
- Scroll of the Strength of the Molgur - While in Doomshaper's control range, friendly Faction warrior models gain an additional die on attack rolls. Discard the lowest die in each roll. Scroll of the Strength of Molgur lasts for one turn.
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
- Band of Heroes. In this theme he gains "Optional Take Down".
- Kriel Company
- Power of Dhunia. In this theme he can start the game with friendly upkeeps in play.
- Storm of the North. In this theme he can upkeep spells on (almost) any friendly model for free.
- Vengeance of Dhunia. In this theme he gains Attuned Spirit [Trollblood/Minion Warbeast].
- Other Factions
Thoughts on Doomshaper3
Doomshaper3 in a nutshell
Doomshaper3 is a defensively focused warbeast warlock, healing almost all damage from his trolls before throwing them back into the fray. He's absolutely terrifying to people who aren't expecting him, but is possible for some factions to tech against so he'll never disrupt the metagame too much.
Maximising his feat and spells
Warbeasts! Then more Warbeasts. Put simply, whilst any combination of beasts can do the trick, between his feat and Implacability, Hoarluk3 is ideal for delivering full-blooded trolls into enemy lines.
Gargantuans work well thanks to being immune to Greivous Wounds, so they invariably make the most of his feat (with the MK and GK build being the most common).
It’s worth noting that Hoarluk3’s feat contains an offensive component (the additional die on attack rolls). If you can ever get the alpha strike off in order to make the most out of the offensive and defensive nature of the feat, then by all means (in these cases many opponents can struggle to do any meaningful damage at all in the following turn). However,, his feat is generally seen as suited to absorbing the alpha, then countering very hard with still-alive warbeasts.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Anyone who knows they are going to be facing Doomshaper should be able to bring something that shuts down healing. At that point his feat and his Hyper-Regeneration become a whole lot less threatening. At least there's the double gargantuan build (if you're planning on Dire Trolls then Doomshaper 2 doesn't have this weakness).
Tricks & Tips
- The scrolls can be used at any time. So you could, for instance, move Doomshaper B2B with the Pyg, then use a scroll, then move the Pyg away (to avoid AOEs etc).
- With the free animus scroll up Mulg can use Arcane Vortex on himself and essentially become fury6 for one round.
List Building Advice
His main method of winning is probably attrition and bullying your opponent off the objective with seemingly impossible to kill beasts (again, unless your opponent has plenty of healing prevention!).
Notable inclusions are EBDT for versatility, Mauler for Rage, Gargantuans as they are immune to Greivous Wounds and a Bouncer for a Shield Guard (he’s an easy target after all).
Of course once you've picked his strategy he still wants a Krielstone and the obvious support as well - Whelps to add fury management to the list whilst a Runebearer can help with with getting off the occasional stranglehold or reducing costs of spells.
Comparing VoD to PoD:
- In VoD you lose access to Troll Whelps and the Runebearer but you gain access to Farrow warbeasts.
- In PoD you can start with upkeeps in play, whereas in VoD you can cast one animus per turn for free.
- The free animus in VoD means you might not need to use the scroll of Troqual as often, freeing you up to use one of the other two scrolls.
- VoD has more infantry options than PoD, which means the scroll of Molghur scroll might get used.
Doomie3 likes scary big, scary tough warbeasts - and there are two basic schools of thought with him:
- The most common anti-doomshaper tech, Grievous Wounds doesn't work on Gargantuans. So take a couple of them and they are very hard to kill. So the most common beasts to take are the Mountain King, the Glacier King, and the Sea King
- Between Hyper-Regeneration, Implacability, his feat, and the scroll of animus-spamming you get the most mileage out of the most beasts - and under the Krielstone troll beasts are pretty tough. So take a lot of lights and just let them frenzy.
Released in Hordes: Devastation (2015)
Video Battle Reports
- 2019.04 Deathclock Dave, vs Locke1
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Other Trollblood Models
|This summary is specific to Warcaster/Warlock units. You may also want to check the Warcaster and Warlock pages respectively, for the "regular" rules clarifications.
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
|* What does trigger Admonition
Note to Editors