High Exemplar Gravus
| High Exemplar Gravus |
The epitome of his order, High Exemplar Sarvan Gravus shirks from no order, no matter how bloody, and has shattered the weak flesh of Devourer worshipers, Cygnaran soldiers, and every other enemy of his faith. Men decades his junior struggle to match his energy as Gravus rides with his Venger cavalry to where the battle rages fiercest and breaks whatever foe he meets.
|High Exemplar Gravus|
- Dragoon - Dragoons begin the game as a Cavalry model but can become dismounted during play. When they do so, their stats go down slightly and they lose some of their special rules & equipment.
- Mounted only
- Cavalry - All Cavalry come with a stack of standard special rules, most notably Impact Attacks and auto-boosted charge attacks. Click the link for the full rules text.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Mounted or Dismounted
- Brother's Keeper - Friendly Exemplar models can't be knocked down or made stationary while in this model's command range.
- Soul Taker: Crusader's Requiem - Gravus collects souls from friendly living Exemplar models that are destroyed in his command range. He can carry up to 3 soul tokens and can spend them for the following abilities:
- Desperate Pace [small- or medium-based Exemplar] (★ Action) - RNG CMD. Target friendly small- or medium-based Exemplar unit. If the unit is in range, small- or medium-based Exemplar models in the unit gain +2" movement during their Normal Movement this turn.
- Reverence - 1" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon.
- Weapon Master - When attacking with this weapon, add an additional die to its damage rolls.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon deals Magical damage.
- Chain Weapon - Attacks with this weapon ignore the ARM bonus from Bucklers, Shields, and Shield Wall.
- Dispel - When hit with this weapon, upkeep spells and animi on the model/unit immediately expire.
- Mount - 0.5" reach, POW 12 mount attack.
- Reverence - 1" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon.
- Reverence - As above
2018.07 Exemplar CID
- -1 Cost, +1 CMD
- Gained Desperate Pace
Thoughts on High Exemplar Gravus
High Exemplar Gravus in a nutshell
Gravus is a support model who spends the early game using Desperate Pace and preventing certain abilities shutting down the army - and hits like a light warjack when he finally comes in, between his being cavalry, weapon master, and dispel, hits like a very solid light warjack.
Almost obligatory in EI lists that can use Desperate Pace - it's an amazing ability and Gravus has the mobility and survivability to keep it useful all game until he charges something. Brother's Keeper also keeps his fellow Exemplars safe from knockdown and stationary, and he can pack a hefty punch if he's got three souls on him.
Combos & Synergies
- Exemplar Errants can jam opponents out of scenario, their crossbows threat further, and you can set up self-sacrifice positioning more easily.
- Exemplar Cinerators can shieldwall while advancing very far up - with their minifeat you can shieldwall while advancing 11" or charge 9" then shieldwall a further 5".
- Exemplar Bastion Seneschal tactician is really helpful when mixing up your desperate pace units and navigating Gravus's large base around your backlines.
- Rhupert's tough is still effective with his no-knockdown bubble and the opportunity cost of doing this is lower.
- Grand Exemplar Kreoss grants tough in a bubble as well.
- Harbinger keeps him alive longer once he's dismounted via Martydom.
- Intercessor Kreoss' gives him Divine Inspiration, making him much more dangerous in combat. All of the Kreoss' appreciate being immune to knockdown and stationary, but especially Kreoss 3 due to being on a large base.
- Vindictus lets you double up on movement boosts for extremely long threat ranges. The same goes for High Exemplar Cyrenia.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He's an expensive dragoon character.
- He's one of the squishier dragoons as well, meaning he'll probably be relegated to Desperate Pace duty for much of the game.
- Weirdly he synergises the least with his fellow cavalry Vengers
Tricks & Tips
- He can hit your own models to remove offensive upkeeps, but at the cost of Desperate Pace.
- With Tactician he can charge through your own lines.
Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
Other Protectorate models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
| Mount Weapon
Impact Attacks - Movement
Impact Attacks - The attack(s)
Impact Attacks - Other