High Exemplar Cyrenia
| High Exemplar Cyrenia |
High Exemplar Cyrenia is a cunning battlefield commander and skilled swordswoman who rouses her fellow Exemplar to feats of excellence. A luminary member of the Exemplar Order, she excels in defensive tactical strategies, coordinating the efforts of the knights under her command while inspiring them with the depth of her personal faith. Because of her diligence and peerless conviction to her duties, some whisper that she fights as if Menoth’s eyes were upon her.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on High Exemplar Cyrenia
- 3 Other
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. (Click the link for a full rundown.)
- Battle Plan - This model can use one of the following plans at any time during its activation. A friendly Faction model/unit can be affected by only one plan each turn.
- Desperate Mission - RNG 5. Target friendly living Exemplar model gains Last Word for one round. (Last Word - When this model is disabled by an enemy attack, except while advancing (free strikes), then he can immediately advance up to 3" ignoring free strikes then make a basic melee attack.)
- Heroic Call - RNG 5. Target friendly living Exemplar model/unit. If the model/unit is in range, it gains Tough. Models are not affected while out of formation. Heroic Call lasts for one round.
- Special Orders - RNG 5". Target friendly living Exemplar model/unit. If the model/unit is in range, it gains Reposition [3"] for one turn. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Righteous Vengeance - If a friendly Faction model dies within 5" of this model, next turn this model gets a free 3" move and melee attack during the maintenance phase.
- Relic Blade - 1" reach, P+S 11 melee attack.
- Dash - Cost 2, Target SELF
- 1) The caster and friendly Faction warrior models activating in the caster's control range gain +1 SPD. 2) While in the caster's control range, friendly Faction warrior models gain Parry. Lasts for one turn.
- Hex Blast - Cost 3, 10" range, 3" AOE, POW 13
- On a direct hit, enemy upkeeps and animi on the target expire.
- Inviolable Resolve - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Friendly Faction model/unit gains +2 ARM and they cannot be moved by a push or slam. Doesn't work while out of formation.
- Positive Charge - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction warjack gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls. Also, while within 3" of the warjack, friendly Faction models gain the same bonus. Lasts for one turn.
- Rock Wall - Cost 2, Upkeep
- Place a wall template completely within the caster's CTRL range that isn't contacting anything else. The wall is an obstacle that provides cover.
Feat : Vigilance of the Faithful
This feat has 2 effects:
- While in Cyrenia’s control range, friendly Protectorate models gain +2 DEF.
- When one or more friendly Protectorate models are destroyed or RFP'd by an enemy attack while in Cyrenia’s control range at any time except while advancing, immediately after the attack is resolved one friendly Protectorate model in Cyrenia’s CTRL range can can advance up to 3˝.
- A model can only move once per turn as a result of Vigilance of the Faithful.
Vigilance of the Faithful lasts for one round.
Thoughts on High Exemplar Cyrenia
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
High Exemplar Cyrenia in a nutshell
Cyrenia's kit is devoted to making up for the shortcomings of Exemplars (speed, defensive) while increasing their offensive potential. Her feat, Battle Plans, and Dash makes her army fast and slippery, while her feat, Rock Wall, and Inviolable Resolve can allow them to hold out a bit longer. Positive Charge is an excellent force multiplier for warjacks and warrior models alike. While she isn't the most powerful warcaster in the game, or even in the faction, she's still an Exemplar and shouldn't be underestimated when it comes down to fight (although be careful not to overestimate her offensive potential or durability either)).
Although designed with Exemplar Interdiction in mind (her Battle Plans only affect Exemplars), infantry of all stripes can appreciate her spells and feat.
Maximising her feat and spells
- Besides the obvious defensive benefits of a wall, Rock Wall can be used to restrict the movement of your opponent's models. It will stop charges from models without Pathfinder, and a properly placed wall can prevent a Huge-based model from getting into your models, especially when combined with existing obstructions.
- Dash allows your army to walk out of combat. You can use it to bypass jamming models, avoid free strikes, or walk into the back arcs of enemies if you have enough movement for the juicy backstrike bonus.
- Positive Charge is great on warjacks that can move after they've completed their movement, such as the Dervish with Side Step or the Purifier with Overtake. It really lets you dig deep, allowing your warjack to destroy one model and repositioning into a different area to help other models out with its buff.
- The timing of using feat can be tricky. You typically want to use it so when your opponent destroys models in the vanguard of your army you can move other models into a position to counter-attack the next turn.
- The DEF buff provided by her feat, although not impressive, stacks with benefits such as Concealment or Cover; combining it with Rock Wall can let some of your models reach high levels both in melee and against shooting.
List Building Advice
Cyrenia specializes in getting the vanguard of her army up in the opponent's face to cause problems for the enemy, and then bringing the rest of her forces in to smash them via her feat and backed up by warjacks with Positive Charge on them. Although her army won't be as fast as Vindictus', it's more maneuverable due to Dash and her feat, hits harder, and she can personally deal with enemy upkeeps via Hex Blast. Her warjacks mainly play a supporting role, buffing her army through Positive Charge and providing a good mid-to-late game punch to deal with anything her infantry hasn't destroyed.
She wants to be in Exemplar Interdiction, obviously; her Battle Plans are Exemplar-only. Still, her spells and feat work just as well on infantry in Guardians of the Temple and Faithful Masses; the DEF-buff her feat provides will have a (slightly) larger impact on those models due to mostly having a higher DEF than Exemplars.
Battlegroup, Mercenaries, Etc
Taking a Hierophant should be the first thing you do when making a list for her. Cyrenia has a lot of spells she wants to cast, and Harmonious Exaltation helps her get them all out while allowing her to camp on some Focus. Spiritual Conduit might not seem like a big deal, but the added RNG to her spells helps her spread the buffs around without having to take a costly Arc Node.
Cyrenia often favors a forward element to her army; she feats, rushes them into the enemy's face, and forces the opponent to destroy them, using her feat to move the slower portions of her army up the board. Exemplar Errants fill this role in Exemplar Interdiction. Additionally, Special Orders allows them to move up, shoot, and back away. Heroic Call makes them Tough; combined with Gravus' no-Knockdown bubble and Inviolable Resolve, you have a (somewhat) durable screening unit.
For the bulk of your army, you'll want models that hit hard. Exemplars of any stripe can fill that role, but some have better synergies with her than others. Exemplar Cinerators with their Command Attachment can be devilishly fast and durable due to Dash and granting them Reposition 3" forward through one of her Battle Plans, Special Orders. Thrown in Desperate Pace from Gravus and you can move them a total of 10" in Shield Wall. Rock Wall makes them even more obnoxious to dislodge, especially under her feat.
Exemplar Vengers love having Inviolable Resolve on them, making them base ARM 20 before Battle Driven kicks in. With Positive Charge, their swords are hitting at POW 12 with three dice, POW 14 if they've been damaged, so jamming them up with durable models can be a difficult proposition.
For the Battlegroup, Cyrenia likes to be able to spread Positive Charge around after she casts it on a warjack, so those who can move after their movement are great for her. The Dervish, with Side Step and Parry, is excellent for doing so. The Purifier has Overtake; although it moves a shorter distance than the Dervish, Ashen Veil stacks with her feat and can help protect other elements of her army, making it the more defensive choice. An Arc Node can be helpful for getting her spells around but isn't strictly necessary.
If you want to take a heavy, Fire of Salvation is a great pick in Exemplar Interdiction. For non-characters, the Indictor and Templar are both durable and appreciate Positive Charge and Inviolable Resolve. Sanctifiers are also an option for a cheap, self-sufficient warjack; Ashen Veil makes them slightly more survivable, and you can buff their DEF further via Rock Wall and her feat.
If you want a anchoring piece, fire battery, and late-game sweeper, take a Colossal. Although it'll eat up a lot of her points and make applying Positive Charge difficult, she provides an ARM buff to it, and strategic use of Rock Wall can keep it safe from enemy models. It's also a model you can hide Cyrenia with in case you're worried about shots getting into her.
Special notice goes to Severius0's warjack, capable of moving 3" after it destroys something, or whenever another model does in Severius' control range due to Road to War. Since Positive Charge isn't exclusive to Cyrenia's battlegroup, it can be cast on his warjack for extra maneuverability in applying buffs.
Rhupert or Saxon can hand out Pathfinder, which is one thing Cyrenia doesn't do for her army. Take one if you're worried about terrain bogging your infantry up.
Taking generic Menoth support models like the Choir, Mechaniks, and Wracks are a no-brainer.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Cyrenia doesn't speed up her warjacks, making it easy for the rest of her army to leave them behind.
- She can end up camping low due to how many spells she wants to get out every turn; although she has good defensive stats for a Protectorate warcaster, it might be a good idea to take a Shield Guard or two.
Tricks & Tips
- Cyrenia can use her Battle Plans on herself. Although you'll probably be using Special Orders on her most of the time, Heroic Call can (theoretically) save her once.
- Rock Wall is easily the most versatile spell on her card. Learn to position it so you can block off enemies from zones or reaching your own models.
- Originally released in Exemplar Interdiction CID (2018.05)
- During the CID, she remained completely unchanged; on release, the only thing that changed on her card was making it so her feat could apply to non-Exemplars. (Previously, it was Exemplar-only.)
- She is the second (known) warcaster of Idrian descent in the Protectorate, the first being Amon.
Themes for any & all casters (Edit)
- The Creator's Might - (Article) (Category)
- Exemplar Interdiction - (Article) (Category)
- The Faithful Masses - (Article) (Category)
- Guardians of the Temple - (Article) (Category)
Other Protectorate models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)