Hermit of Henge Hold
|Mk4 has been announced, and we need to talk about what it means for the future of this website.|
| Hermit of Henge Hold |
A mad Iosan prophet, the Hermit of Henge Hold is beset by visions of possible futures, many of them laced with horror and imminent destruction. The truth he perceives is invaluable to every denizen of the Iron Kingdoms—included the invading infernals. Whom and why he serves are secrets only he is privy to, though it is possible he doesn't even understand why. For now, he is committed to no one but serves as a messenger to everyone.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on the Hermit of Henge Hold
- 3 Other
|Hermit of Henge Hold|
- Partisan [ Infernal ] - When included in a Infernal army, this model/unit is a Infernal model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Partisan [ Retribution ] - When included in a Retribution army, this model/unit is a Retribution model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Ancient Shroud - When a damage roll against this model exceeds its ARM, it suffers 1 damage instead of the of the total rolled.
- Dark Prophecy - When the Hermit is destroyed by an enemy attack, enemy models in the Hermit's command range lose their essence points and cannot cast or channel spells, or be forced for one round.
- Mad Visions - This model can use Mad Visions once per game when a friendly non-Infernal model is hit by an enemy attack while in this model's command range. The friendly model does not suffer a damage roll from the attack.
- Marked Soul - This model is a Marked Soul.
- Magic Ability [ N/A ] - This model can cast spells. Normally this uses up the model's Combat Action and as such is limited to one spell per activation, but exceptions do exist.
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
| Grip of Shadows
|The Hermit gains Telemetry for one round.
| Whispers at the Gate
|The Hermit gains Master of Ruin for one round.
| Word of Ruin
|Remove 1 essence point from each enemy Infernal model currently within 5" of the Hermit. Add 1 essence point to each friendly Infernal model currently within 5" of the Hermit.|
- Despite being a Retribution Partisan, the Hermit isn't explicitly allowed in any Retribution theme. So he'll always use up your "up to one Mercenary solo" slot. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
- Other Factions
- Convergence players can use this model in the Strange Bedfellows theme. He gains Swift Vengeance in this theme.
- Cygnar and Khador players can use this model in the Flame in the Darkness theme.
- Protectorate and Khador players can use this model in the Warriors of the Old Faith theme.
- Furthermore, Mercenary/Minion models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
Thoughts on the Hermit of Henge Hold
Hermit of Henge Hold in a nutshell
The Hermit of Henge Hold is a wacky, crazy prophet, or maybe just crazy, or maybe just a prophet. No one knows! He works for every army in the game, and depending on the host faction, he may act as one part support piece, one part mad prophet, and one part missile.
- Dark Prophecy is the missile part, punishing your foes for slaying him by stripping their spell casting. It can also be a tactical nuke if blows up in the midst of an Infernal Battlegroup, stripping them all of their essence points and causing activation order issues or even resulting in vanquishing them by the end of the turn for not being able to pay their tithe for staying in-game. Of course, a skilled player will do anything to avert that - see Trips and Tricks.
- Mad Visions is essentially a once-per-game use of the Vision spell, perfect for warding off a single high-powered attack, or keeping your important model in-game for just a little longer. If you happen to have a similar ability (like the above-mentioned Vision spell), it can be downright obnoxious.
- His spells provide a menu of various abilities to supplement your army in different ways.
- Telemetry bumps up your magic accuracy and works with all friendly models instead of friendly faction models.
- Word of Ruin is a dead spell on your list unless you play with or into Infernals - in that case, he can punish enemy Horrors or fuel yours. In a Dark Legacy army, this makes him an auto-include, as he makes fuelling horrors so easy that you can barely call it an "economy".
- Master of Ruin is a faction-independent ARM de-buff, just be on the lookout that it affects your models as well.
Combos & Synergies
- Models that are already low ARM (like Crucible Guard Rocketmen) don't care about another -2 ARM, so are fine to suffer "friendly fire" from Master of Ruin. The same goes with models who have access to Reposition moves.
- Use him in conjunction with a caster who has Sacrificial Pawn or Sucker! to make that caster near unkillable at range. Your caster gets hit, transfers it to the Hermit, who then takes only 1 point of damage. For example: Khador under Malakov2 or Cryx with a Blood Priestess.
- Sylys's Arcane Secrets combined with Telemetry can give spells of even low FOCUS casters a decent chance to hit. Telemetry also makes your magic attack rolls all the more reliable - especially magic sprays.
- Given he only takes one point of damage at a time, if he's a friendly faction model, healing him will make your opponent hate you with a passion. Lynus & Edrea, Sergeant Nicolas, Lys Healers, and The Wretch in Hearts of Darkness are all examples of models with healing capabilities. It can also be healed by the Stockpile Steamroller objective.
- Though he's popular as a Mercenary choice, a couple of cross-faction themes like Flame in the Darkness, or Warriors of the Old Faith make him a friendly faction model, meaning you can speed him up with things like Vladimir3's Dash, or with Stryker2's feat.
- He gets Reposition in the Defenders of Ios theme, as he's a Partisan of the Retribution.
- Anything that can extend his movement, be it pushes, weapons with slams or throws, Reposition, Telekinesis, etc. He will only take one damage anyway, so even your most powerful slam guns are eligible threat extenders. Examples include Shae, Banshees, Scaverous, or the Paingiver Task Master.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- His abilities are criminally short-ranged meaning he will likely die after using them.
- Dark Prophecy is much less threatening against Warmachine battlegroups than Hordes or Infernal ones.
- Awful defensive stats (though greatly enhanced by Ancient Shroud).
- Master of Ruin affects your models as well.
- No weapons, thus never makes free strikes and will never engage enemy models.
- Cannot use Mad Visions in an Infernal army.
- Neither Dark Prophecy nor Mad Visions can be triggered on non-attack damage (like collateral damage, electro leap, etc).
Tricks & Tips
- He can use Mad Visions on himself (as long as he isn't in an Infernal army).
- Slam him forward with a spell or weapon (eg Force Hammer or Smite) and you can push his aura further up the board at the cost of only 1 hitpoint.
- Watch out for weapons that don't actually do a damage roll, such as Deadly Shot. Those weapons get around Ancient Shroud's ability to reduce a damage roll.
- Due to only taking one damage from each attack, he is an effective piece against the various pure-jack and pure-beast themes. Because they lack infantry, having to dedicate multiple jack or beast activation to kill a single 5 point solo can make the difference in the attrition game.
- Getting disposed of him without activating Dark Prophecy is usually being done by slamming something above/into him for some collateral damage, or taking his last HP away with non-attack-related damage (Ashes to Ashes, electro leap, trick shot, etc.). Depending on his position this may take excess time on your opponent's deathclock, and getting you further ahead in the attrition war.
- Released 2019.07, in the Oblivion Campaign boxed set.
- This was an unpopular decision among some players, as they felt they were forced to buy a USD$60 boxed set "just" to get access to this powerful solo. In fact, some players claim that the Hermit was deliberately over-powered on purpose just to increase sales of the campaign book.
- As of 2020.02 he can now be bought as a stand-alone model.
- This model has a limited edition sculpt, released in 2021.07.
- The Hermit is an Iosan of the Seeker order who has actually discovered the terrible truth of what happened to their gods. See the Oblivion campaign book for the answer.
- The scroll case contains a message from the Infernals to two denizens of Immoren in particular.
- The Hermit has a Twitter account, where he shares the visions that drove him mad. Put together, the tweets tell short stories and this is how PP did fluff for a while.
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Retribution of Scyrah (Edit)
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Convergence of Cyriss (Edit)
Circle Orboros (Edit)
- Secret Masters. This theme doesn't have a limit on how many Minion solos you can take. Also, you can spend Requistion Points on Minion solos.
- The Bones of Orboros
- The Devourer's Host
- The Wild Hunt
Legion of Everblight (Edit)
- Ravens of War
- Children of the Dragon
- Oracles of Annihilation. In this theme (1) There is no limit on the number of Minion solos you can take, (2) Minions become Blighted models, and (3) enemy models that end their activation within 2" of a Blighted model in this theme suffer continuous corrosion.
- Primal Terrors
- Disciples of Agony. There is no limit to the number of Minion solos you can take in this theme.
- The Exalted
- Masters of War
- Winds of Death
Other Faction models
|Infernal Index (Edit)|
|Unique Rules : Masters, Horrors, Essence, & Summoning|
|Infernal Masters||Agathon - Omodamos - Zaateroth|
|Attachment (1)||Lord Roget d'Vyaros|
|Master Infernalist||Princess Regna|
|Lesser||Foreboder||Heavy||Desolator - Soul Stalker - Tormentor|
|Light||Lamenter - Shrieker||Colossal||Guardian of Souls - Harvester of Souls|
|Units, Solos, & Structures|
Eilish1 - Eilish2 - Great Princess Regna Gravnoy (Master Infernalist) - Hermit of Henge Hold - Lord Roget d'Vyaros (Attachment) - Lynda the Forgotten - Nicia2 - Orin1 - Saxon Orrik - Runewood2 - The Wretch - Umbral Guardian - Valin Hauke, The Fallen Knight
|Dark Legacy - Hearts of Darkness||J.A.I.M.s|
This index was last updated: 2021.07
(1) - Note that an Infernal Master Attachment is not part of the battlegroup, they are merely listed there for convenience.
|Mercenary Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Lesser Warlocks||Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)|
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Alexia1 - Asphyxious4 - Croe's Cutthroats - Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters - Blythe & Bull - Boomhowler1 - Herne & Jonne - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus & Edrea - MacHorne1 - The Commodore Cannon - The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
Cephalyx Agitator - Death Archon - Gobber Tinker - Menite Archon - Morrowan Archon - Ogrun Bokur - Powder Monkey - SH Arcanist - SH Ironhead - SH Gunner - Swamp Gobber River Raider Thamarite Advocate - Thamarite Archon - Void Archon
Alexia2 - Alexia3 - Alten Ashley - Anastasia Di Bray - Balthazar Bamfist - Black Bella1 - Black Bella2 - Bloody Bradigan - Boomhowler2 - Boomhowler3 - Bosun Grogspar - Brun Cragback & Lug - Captain Crawtooth - Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Dez1 - Dez2 - Dirty Meg - Doc Killingsworth - Doctor Stygius - Eilish1 - Eiryss1 - Eiryss2 - Eiryss4 - First Mate Hawk - Flubbin1 - Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 - Flugwug the Filcher - Crosse1 - Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One - Gorman1 - Gorman2 - Grand Master Gabriel Throne - Gubbin1 - Gubbin2 - Gudrun1 - Gudrun2 - Harlan Versh, Illuminated One - Harlowe Holdemhigh - Hermit of Henge Hold - Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - J.A.I.M.s - Kell Bailoch - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Lord Rockbottom - MacHorne2 - Major Harrison Gibbs - Malvin2 - Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - Princess Delores Graciela - Ragman - Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - Rorsh & Brine - Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer - Savio Montero Acosta - Saxon Orrik - Scythe - Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye - Stannis Brocker - Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage - Thor Steinhammer - Tubbin - Underboss Vizkoya - Viktor Pendrake - Weird Wendell - Widget1 - Widget2 - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
|Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter|
|This index was last updated: 2021.11|
|Which Faction am I?
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)