Hermit of Henge Hold
|We have 1265 articles and 88% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Hermit of Henge Hold |
A mad Iosan prophet, the Hermit of Henge Hold is beset by visions of possible futures, many of them laced with horror and imminent destruction. The truth he perceives is invaluable to every denizen of the Iron Kingdoms—included the invading infernals. Whom and why he serves are secrets only he is privy to, though it is possible he doesn't even understand why. For now, he is committed to no one but serves as a messenger to everyone.
|Hermit of Henge Hold|
- Mercenary - The Hermit will work for Crucible Guard, Cryx, Convergence, Cygnar, Infernals, Khador, Protectorate, or Retribution.
- Minion - This model will work for Circle, Grymkin, Legion, Skorne, or Trollbloods.
- Partisan [Infernal] - When included in a Infernal army, this model/unit is a Infernal model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Partisan [Retribution] - When included in a Retribution army, this model/unit is a Retribution model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Ancient Shroud - When a damage roll against this model exceeds its ARM, it suffers 1 damage regardless of the total rolled.
- Dark Prophecy - When the Hermit is destroyed by an enemy attack, enemy models in the Hermit's command range lose their essence points and cannot cast or channel spells, or be forced for one round.
- Mad Visions - This model can use Mad Visions once per game when a friendly non-Infernal model is hit by an enemy attack while in this model's command range. The friendly model does not suffer a damage roll from the attack.
- Marked Soul - This model is a Marked Soul.
- Magic Ability [ N/A ] - This model can cast spells. Normally this uses up the model's Combat Action and as such is limited to one spell per activation, but exceptions do exist.
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
| Grip of Shadows
|The Hermit gains Telemetry for one round.
| Whispers at the Gate
|The Hermit gains Master of Ruin for one round.
| Word of Ruin
|Remove 1 essence point from each enemy Infernal model currently within 5" of the Hermit. Add 1 essence point to each friendly Infernal model currently within 5" of the Hermit.|
- Other Factions
- As a Mercenary/Minion model, he can also be taken in a bunch of other Faction's theme forces via the "Up to one Mercenary/Minion solo" clause or the more rare "any number of Minion solos" clause.
- Refer to #Other Theme Forces.
- In addition to those generic clauses, the following theme forces specifically allow the Hermit:
Thoughts on the Hermit of Henge Hold
New model - This article is a Work In Progress
Please don't delete this warning unless you (1) have played several games with the final rules (games with CID rules don't count) and (2) you've reviewed this article and it mostly(★) matches your experiences.
(★) Bearing in mind that other editors may make suggestions you don't think are the "best" but that doesn't make them "wrong". Don't delete stuff just because you disagree with it, please.
Hermit of Henge Hold in a nutshell
The Hermit of Henge Hold is a wacky, crazy prophet, or maybe just crazy, or maybe just a prophet. No one knows!
He works for every army in the game, because you don't know when he is going to show up on which battlefield and declare the end of the world! The Hermit should be one part support piece, one part mad prophet, and one part missile.
Dark Prophecy is the missile part, punishing your foes for slaying him by stripping their spell casting. Mad Visions is essentially a once-per-game use of the Vision spell, that could be extremely clutch.
Lastly, his spells provide a menu of various abilities to supplement your army in various ways, such as Telemetry to bump up your magic accuracy; Word of Ruin, to punish Infernalists or to fuel your own plans; and Master of Ruin to provide an armour debuff to your army to make them hit that bit harder!
Combos & Synergies
- Models that are already low ARM (like Crucible Guard Rocketmen) don't care about another -2 ARM, so are fine to suffer "friendly fire" from Master of Ruin.
- Use him in conjunction with a caster who has Sacrificial Pawn or Sucker! to make that caster near unkillable at range. Your caster gets hit, transfers it to the Hermit, who then takes only 1 point of damage. For example: Khador under Malakov2 or Cryx with a Blood Priestess.
- Sylys's Arcane Secrets combined with Telemetry can give spells of even low FOCUS casters a decent chancee to hit.
- Given he only takes one point of damage at a time, healing him will make your opponent hate you with a passion. Lynus & Edrea, Sergeant Nicolas, Lys Healers, and The Wretch in Hearts of Darkness are all examples of models with healing capabilities.
- If fielded in Warriors of the Old Faith he become faction friendly to your caster, meaning you can speed him up with Vlad3's Dash.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- You have to buy the boxed set to get him.
- His abilities are criminally short-ranged meaning he will likely die after using them.
- His ARM debuff affects your models as well...
Tricks & Tips
- He can use Mad Visions on himself (as long as he isn't in an Infernal army).
- Slam him forward with a spell or weapon (eg Force Hammer or Smite) and you can push his aura further up the board at the cost of only 1 hitpoint.
- Watch out for weapons that don't actually do a damage roll, such as Deadly Shot. Those weapons get around Ancient Shroud's ability to reduce a damage roll.
- Due to only taking one damage from each attack, he is an effective piece against the various pure-jack and pure-beast themes. Because they lack infantry, having to dedicate multiple jack or beast activations to kill a single 5 point solo can make the difference in the attrition game.
- The Hermit is an Iosan of the Seeker order who has actually discovered the terrible truth of what happened to their gods. See the Oblivion campaign book for the answer.
- The scroll case contains a message from the Infernals to two denizens of Immoren in particular.
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Retribution of Scyrah (Edit)
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Convergence of Cyriss (Edit)
Circle Orboros (Edit)
- Secret Masters. This theme doesn't have a limit on how many Minion solos you can take. Also, you can spend Requistion Points on Minion solos.
- The Bones of Orboros
- The Devourer's Host
- The Wild Hunt
Legion of Everblight (Edit)
- Ravens of War
- Children of the Dragon
- Oracles of Annihilation. In this theme (1) There is no limit on the number of Minion solos you can take, (2) Minions become Blighted models, and (3) enemy models that end their activation within 2" of a Blighted model in this theme suffer continuous corrosion.
- Primal Terrors
- Disciples of Agony. There is no limit to the number of Minion solos you can take in this theme.
- The Exalted
- Masters of War
- Winds of Death
Other Faction models
|Infernal Index (Edit)|
|Unique Rules : Masters, Horrors, Essence, & Summoning|
|Infernal Masters||Agathon - Omodamos - Zaateroth|
|Attachment||Lord Roget d'Vyaros||Master Infernalist||Princess Regna|
|Lesser||Foreboder||Light||Lamenter - Shrieker||Heavy||Desolator - Soul Stalker - Tormentor|
|Units, Solos, & Structures|
Alain Runewood, Lord of Ash - Eilish1 - Eilish2 - Great Princess Regna Gravnoy (Master Infernalist) - Hermit of Henge Hold - Lord Roget d'Vyaros - Nicia, Hound of the Abyss - Orin1 - Saxon Orrik - The Wretch - Umbral Guardian - Valin Hauke, The Fallen Knight
|Dark Legacy - Hearts of Darkness||J.A.I.M.s|
|This index was last updated: 2019.06|
|Mercenary Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Warcaster attachments||Madelyn Corbeau - Reinholdt - Wyshnalyrr|
|Lesser Warlocks||Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)|
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Alexia1 - Croe's Cutthroats - Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters - Blythe & Bull - Boomhowler1 - Herne & Jonne - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus & Edrea - MacHorne1 - The Commodore Cannon - The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
Cephalyx Agitator - Gobber Tinker - Menite Archon - Morrowan Archon - Ogrun Bokur - Powder Monkey - SH Arcanist - SH Ironhead - SH Gunner - Swamp Gobber River Raider Thamarite Advocate - Thamarite Archon - Void Archon
Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire (2) - Alexia, The Undying (3) - Alten Ashley - Anastasia Di Bray - Balthazar Bamfist - Black Bella, Duchess of Dread - Bloody Bradigan - Boomhowler, Solo Artist - Bosun Grogspar - Brun Cragback & Lug - Captain Crawtooth - Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Dez - Dirty Meg - Doc Killingsworth - Eilish Garrity, the Occultist - Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (1) - Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (2) - Eiryss, Fortune Hunter of Ios (4) - First Mate Hawk - Flugwug the Filcher - Gastone Crosse - Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One - Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (1) - Gorman the Mad (2) - Grand Master Gabriel Throne - Gubbin - Gudrun the Wanderer - Harlan Versh, Illuminated One - Harlowe Holdemhigh - Hermit of Henge Hold - Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - J.A.I.M.s - Kell Bailoch - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Lord Rockbottom - MacHorne2 - Major Harrison Gibbs - Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - Ragman - Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - Rorsh & Brine - Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer - Savio Montero Acosta - Saxon Orrik - Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye - Stannis Brocker - Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage - Thor Steinhammer - Viktor Pendrake - Weird Wendell - Widget, Tinker Extraordinaire - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
|Battle Engines||Hammerfall Siege Crawler|
|Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter|
|This index was last updated: 2019.12|