|We have 1198 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Feora2 (theme thoughts)||Imperatus (Dawnguard and non-vyros combos)|
| Helldiver |
The Helldiver drags itself through the earth using its powerful front claws. Though incredibly strong, these appendages are used only for movement, not attacks. The machine's primary weapon is its mighty jaws, which it uses to seize and sunder its hapless victims. Few sights are more terrible than one of the metallic menaces erupting unexpectedly from the earth and shredding every living body within reach.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Burrow - You can choose not to deploy this model at the start of the game. If it is not deployed normally, place the burrow marker up to 6" beyond your deployment zone at the same time you would place your models with Advance Deployment. At the beginning of each of your Maintenance Phases, you can either cause this model to surface or move the burrow marker up to 3". If this model surfaces, place it anywhere completely within 3" of the burrow marker. If there is no room to place this model, remove it from play. Once this model has been placed or removed from play, remove the burrow marker from the table. This model must forfeit its Normal Movement or Combat Action during its activation the turn it surfaces.
- Dig In (★ Action) - This model gains cover, it does not suffer blast damage, and does not block LOS. The model remains dug in until it moves, is placed, or is engaged. It can begin the game dug in.
- Drag Below - During this model's activation, immediately after resolving an attack in which it boxed an enemy warrior model, this model can use Drag Below. The boxed model is RFP'd and this model can immediately make a full advance and then perform a Dig In special action, then its activation ends. This model cannot be targeted by free strikes during this movement.
- Jaws - 0.5" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Black Industries
- Dark Host
- The Ghost Fleet
- Infernal Machines. Helldiver gains Hyper-Aggressive in this theme.
- Scourge of the Broken Coast
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders. Helldiver gains Gang Fighter in this theme.
Thoughts on Helldiver
Helldiver in a nutshell
One of the pure combat lights, the Helldiver is a tough bugger to kill with more ARM and HP than usual for a Cryx jack, and a good layout of boxes. Its DEF is lower than norm, but Dig In assures that you'll be safe from most unboosted ranged/spell attacks.
Unfortunately the Helldiver was one of the victims of "over-nerfing" that occurred in the transition between mk2 and mk2, and nowadays its combination of restrictive rules and high points cost makes it one of the least played models in the entire game.
Combos & Synergies
Direct support is usually wasted on such a cheap model, but CTRL area spells (Skarre1), battlegroup buffs (both Mortenebra, Venethrax) and de-buffs (Denny1) work just fine with it.
- Though it lacks arc node, it can still be used as carrier for Scything Touch/Dark Shroud into the midst of the enemy ranks. At worst, you can aim an AoE onto it, as it has an effective DEF of 11 on the back.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- You'd be better off with a Deathripper for the same points cost.
- It is very slow while burrowed, and incredibly limited in what it can do on the turn it unburrows.
- Even while above ground, it is among the slowest jacks within the faction.
- If you want a combat-oriented light, there are numerous in-faction substitutes, who cost only a tad bit more.
- Most enemies won't stand close enough to the burrow marker for you to attack them on the turn you unburrow.
Tricks & Tips
- Burrow can be used as a bluff to force your enemy second-guessing your intentions with it.
- Special rules that deny Advance Deployment or Ambush, don't deny Burrow.
- Use Burrow to sneak into a scenario zone, then Unburrow mid-to-late game when no one else is there to contest it or attack you. With Dig In and no one nearby you'll be hard to remove.
- You cannot run after unburrowing because you can't forfeit your Combat Action twice.
- Once dug in, be wary of models with 1" or longer melee range. They can run past you, engage you briefly causing you to lose Dig In, but not come close enough to eat a free strike. Placement effects like Agatha's feat also blow your cover.
- If you intend to make more than one attack, remember that Drag Below ends your activation. Plan accordingly.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
- Sculptor: Jeff Wilhelm
- Nickname(s): Dirt Dolphin (this name is likely to fade from use now that it can no longer re-burrow in Mk3)
Other Cryx models