Hand of Judgment
Protectorate Character Heavy Warjack
Hand of Judgment exists for a single purpose: to execute the will of Feora, Priestess and Protector of the Flame. Armed with an immolator cannon and a massive mace, this mighty warjack brings Menoth’s cleansing fire against those arrayed against the Protectorate. Zealous in smiting its enemies, it has demonstrated a dangerous temper only Feora can keep in check. Wherever she treads, Hand of Judgment follows, eager to slip its leash to destroy those who displease its master.
- Immolator Cannon - 10" spray, POW 13 ranged attack.
- Damage Type: Fire - This weapon does fire damage.
- Continuous Fire - A model hit by this attack is set on fire. A model on fire suffers a POW 12 fire damage roll in Maintenance phase of owner's turn until the fire expires.
- Flame of Truth - 2" reach, P+S 18 melee weapon
- Critical Continuous Fire - A model critically hit by this attack is set on fire. A model on fire suffers a POW 12 fire damage roll each turn until the fire expires.
- Flame Burst - When you box an enemy model with this weapon, enemy models within 1" of the boxed model suffer Continuous Fire.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Immunity: Fire - This model does not suffer fire damage, nor the continuous fire effect.
- Blazing Wrath - If an enemy is suffering continuous fire, Hand of Judgment can charge it for free.
- Bond [Feora] - If Hand of Judgment begins the game in Feora's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. Hand of Judgment is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While Hand of Judgment is bonded to Feora and in their control range, HoJ gains boosted ranged attack rolls.
- Fuel for the Flames - Models suffer +2 damage from fire damage rolls while within 5" of Hand of Judgment.
Thoughts on Hand of Judgment
Hand of Judgment in a nutshell
Hand of Judgment is a Repenter on steroids - more than twice the cost for a much bigger and better spray, and more melee hitting power than a Crusader (including some free charges), and a decent turn of speed.
Combos & Synergies
- Feora1, Feora2 or Feora3 - Appropriately, since it's her character 'jack, Hand of Judgement has a lot of synergies with all of Feora's incarnations. Hand of Judgement gets boosted attack rolls with it's ranged weapon while in Feora's battlegroup. Fuel for the Flames also adds to the damage of Feora's various fire spells and attacks, and increases the damage of Fire continuous effects. Finally, Hand charges enemies that are on fire for free.
- Reclaimer Gatekeeper - Hand of Judgement's RAT is on the low side, so you will frequently have to boost to hit with it's ranged weapon. Getting Future Sight from a Reclaimer will help immensely.
- Flameguard Cleansers, Deliverer Sunburst Crew, Vanquisher - Hand of Judgement charges enemies that are on fire for free - Having some buddies set it's target on fire will let you spend more focus on killing the enemy.
- Malekus, The Burning Truth - Hand gets boosted damage rolls on it's ranged weapons form Malekus' feat. Malekus can also use Open Fire on Hand to get two shots per turn out of it's potent flamethrower.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Fuel for the Flames will also affect your own models when they are hit by enemy Fire attacks.
Tricks & Tips
- Since Hand of Judgement is immune to fire damage, you can use it and another model with a blast weapon that causes fire damage, such as a Vanquisher or Deliverer Sunburst Crew to bypass the Defense of extremely high Defense models (such as Kayazy Eliminators). Place Hand next to the enemy model, and then have the other model shoot Hand instead of the enemy. You will only have to hit a relatively modest Def 12 (natural 10 + 4 for being engaged - 2 for back strike) instead of the enemy's defense.
Originally released in the Warmachine: Reckoning expansion book (2015).
Other Protectorate models
Rules Clarification : Flame Burst (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Fire (Edit)
- Moving into "Shallow water" standard terrain does not cause continuous fire to expire. It's magic fire.
- You can always use non-standard terrain if you agree with your opponent before the game starts, however.
- A weapon can inflict continuous fire without itself being a fire damage weapon (for example, the Helios's fists). In this case, the attack can hurt models with Immunity:Fire it just won't apply the continuous effect.
Rules Clarification : Warjack (Edit)
- The Cortex/Induction core rule means a warjack cannot have more than 3 focus at any time (maybe 4 if they're really special).
- Many abilities give out focus and don't state an upper limit (such as Convection and Empower). Despite not stating an upper limit, they are always "hard-limited" by the core rule.
- A warjack can have more than 3 focus during a turn, though. For instance, a knocked down warjack can Power Up and be Allocated 2 focus, then spend 1 to shake knockdown, then another model could Empower it back up to 3.
- Warjacks cannot spend focus outside of their activation. For instance, they can't boost free strikes or trigger Powerful Attack on Broadsides. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Construct - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Blazing Wrath - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Bond (Edit)
- Bonds are ineffective while the model is under your opponent's control. Refer the core rulebook.
- Bonds & Themes
- If a warjack/warbeast with a bond is in that caster's battlegroup, they can be taken in any theme force. Refer the core rulebook.
- This is true even if the caster isn't a full warcaster or warlock (this interaction changed as of 2018.06).
Rules Clarification : Fuel for the Flames (Edit)
- Fuel for the Flames applies to friendly and enemy models.
- It applies to continuous fire damage, too.