Gun Mage Captain Adept
|I have an update about Special Order Models - it is no longer a thing. |
Click here to read more.
| Gun Mage Captain Adept |
The journey to becoming a gun mage is difficult and long, and few are born with the gift and the unique connection to the firearm that lets them take even the first step. Of those who survive the trials of the Arcane Tempest and have the mettle required to take up the magelock, only a very few make captain, and fewer still earn the arcane rank of adept. Gun mages of this level are rare, and the army reserves them for the most crucial battles and demanding missions.
|Gun Mage Captain Adept|
- Swift Hunter - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a basic ranged attack, immediately after the attack is resolved it can advance up to 2".
- True Sight - This model ignores cloud effects when determining LOS. This model also ignores Stealth.
- Magelock Pistol - 10" range, POW 10 gun
- Damage Type: Magical
- Arcane Savant - When you make an attack with this weapon you must choose two of the following types:
- Sword - 0.5" reach, P+S 7 melee weapon
- Sons of the Tempest. In this theme you don't have to pay to upkeep spells on Gun Mage Captain Adept.
- Other Factions
Thoughts on Gun Mage Captain Adept
Gun Mage Captain Adept in a nutshell
He's a two-in-one solo package; a straight-forward ranged combatant for sniping out key opposing models or the occasional supporter.
The big question is, what do you want to achieve?
- Hunting solos? Combine Brutal damage and Snipe. True Sight means even Stealth solos need to worry.
- Your opponent has a Warjack or Warbeast with Stealth? Apply a Flare then open up with all the other guns.
- Setting up an assassination? Combine Shadow Fire and Snipe (or any other Attack Type if Snipe is unnecessary) to render intervening models irrelevant.
- Improving your chances of a successful assassination? Combine either Snipe and Flare if you have been keeping him back or Flare and Brutal Damage to force your opponent to consider spending Focus or Fury.
Combos & Synergies
- Unsurprisingly for a Cygnar Gun Mage model with a gun, the Captain Adept doesn't mind Falk hitting his target first for some damage boost.
- He is a good target for Captain Allister Caine's or Caine0's Fire For Effect. Not only does this make his chances of hitting near certain, it means even Warjacks have something to worry about when combined with Brutal Damage for 4 dice on the damage roll. It can be worth upkeeping even on Caine's feat turn if the Captain Adept can get a shot onto the enemy Warcaster - a Flare and Brutal Damage shot can doom a Warcaster before Caine2 even activates.
- If you really want to apply the Flare to the enemy Warcaster/Warlock but they're hiding behind another model, you can still bring another source of Shadow Fire such as a 2nd Gun Mage Captain Adept, Taryn di la Rovissi or Ace (but only with Caine).
Drawbacks & Downsides
- His DEF is good, but not outstanding; while his ARM is basically a sheet of paper. If he gets hit, there is an excellent chance he will die.
- If your only intention is to go for straight damage against hard targets, you'll be better off with the Arcane Tempest Rifleman
Tricks & Tips
- The Captain Adept belongs on the flank to deal with flankers or draw enemies to cover him. And where there aren't many of your models.
- Already hard to hit, putting the Captain Adept in concealment or cover makes taking him out hard work - too hard for it to be worth the enemy bothering to take him out without auto-hitting attacks.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
- This model has a limited edition sculpt, released in 2018.05. It's a female alternative with the title, "Runeball Wizard."
That's a pun based on a song by The Who.
Other Cygnar models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Gunfighter + an AOE weapon
Gunfighter + a spray weapon
Units of Gunfighters