Greylord Forge Seer
|We have 1251 articles and 88% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Dawnguard Destors (1 year review)||Dawnguard Destor Thane (1 year review)||Defenders of Ios (1 year review)||Bump in the Night (Casters)|
| Greylord Forge Seer |
More than just craftsmen, Forge Seers also take to the battlefield alongside the warjacks they help create. These Greylords apply their knowledge of magic and mechanika to imbue the weapons of warjacks with the power needed to cut down unnatural foes who are more than flesh and steel. Clad in Man-O-War armor, Greylord Forge Seers charge into battle with the hiss of steam in their ears and the chill of winter at their fingertips.
|Greylord Forge Seer|
- Immunity: Cold
- 'Jack Marshal - This model can control a Faction warjack, albeit in a limited manner. Click the link for the full rules.
- Battle Wizard - Once per turn, when this model destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its activation, immediately after the attack is resolved it can make one Magic Ability special attack or special action.
- Drive: Dark Sigils - While in this model's command range, the melee and ranged weapons of a warjack under its control gain Blessed and Damage Type: Magical.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can cast spells. Normally this uses up the model's Combat Action and as such is limited to one spell per activation, but exceptions do exist.
- Repairable - This model can be targeted with Repair special actions as if it were a construct model.
- Rune Weapon - 2" reach, P+S 14 melee attack
|Target friendly Faction warjack in command range is no longer Disrupted (if it was) and gains 1 focus point.|
|(★ Attack)||8||3||14 (Cold)||(★)||Yes|
|Hoarfrost causes cold damage. On a critical hit, models in the AOE become stationary for one round unless they have Immunity: Cold.|
| Winter's Wind
|Target friendly Faction model with Immunity: Cold gains Freezer for one round.|
- Other Factions
Thoughts on Greylord Forge Seer
Greylord Forge Seer in a Nutshell
Forge Seers are potent Greylord wizards donning ornate Man-o-War armor, pulling double duty as either capable 'Jack Marshals or by supporting their comrades by Empowering your warjacks, casting fatal Hoarfrost blasts at opportune foes or blowing the Winter's Wind over allies with Immunity: Cold to create a local coldsnap capable of freezing enemies that come too close. They're decent enough warriors--Battle Wizards wielding enormous runic axes celebrating their kills with magical encores--but their main purpose is supporting their army. They prefer to work from behind the front lines, enhancing their beloved machines until times get dire and they enter the fray themselves.
The Forge Seer is an excellent solo for a myriad of armies. Empower is an amazing ability in any faction, but Khadoran warcasters in particular tend to find themselves short on focus when battles turn rough and that extra point of focus for their battlegroup is a major asset for them. Doing nothing other than Empowering a warjack each turn is sufficiently valuable for the Forge Seer to easily make its 4 point cost back over the course of an encounter. It's no slouch as a 'Jack Marshal either; Dark Sigils is a very nice piece of tech to have on a warjack with ranged capabilities to take Incorporeal enemies and those hiding behind magical defenses. The Seer has the luxury of combining Empower and 'Jack Marshal abilities for some cool effects:
- Empower + Hurry!: A free charge with +2 to hit and 1 focus for another attack or a boost is almost the same mileage you get out of a fully allocated heavy with 3 focus from your 'caster.
- Empower + Crush!: An additional melee attack and all your melee attacks get +2 POW, and 1 focus left over; that's the potential for 3 POW 19 swings from a Destroyer.
- Empower + Take Aim!: +2 to hit due to aiming and +2 damage makes most of our 'jacks' effective RAT 6 and increases the POW of our already strong guns. 1 Focus either boosts to hit or damage based on your intended target.
Combos & Synergies
Literally any warcaster works well with the Forge Seer because of Empower, reducing the strain on their focus reserves to istead do as they please as they goes after their own objectives. Beyond that, of particular mention are:
- Kommandant Kratikoff: Her battlegroup have Flank Man-o-War, and the Forge Seer is indeed a Man-o-War model. She's also a legal Winter's Wind target and giving her Freezer is a perfect way to thwart melee assassinations.
- Obavnik Kommander Zerkova: Zerkova has Immunity: Cold for the aforementioned Freezer trick and her feat lets the Seer Empower twice in a row.
The Forge Seer does best with warjacks with strong ranged weapons to take advantage of its Drive. Because the Seer prefers to stay back it pays to have it control warjacks that can do the same.
- Behemoth - A pricey package, but Behemoth loves the drive and jack marshal orders and the focus from Empower is usually enough to do great damage from a distance thanks to powerful attack.
- Decimator: The Dozer's two shots are reasonably accurate and/or powerful under the Strike True! and Take Aim! commands combined with the Seer's focus lets it boost a shoot if needed.
- Destroyer: As with the Decimator, a Destroyer works well with the Seer, especially when you can land a Blessed AOE on a guarded cluster of low-ARM models.
- Mad Dog: Quite the unorthodox pick (and not an endorsement for the Mad Dog) but it can be used as a fire-and-forget missile to take out an enemy skirmishing unit. It only needs one focus to power its Fleet ability and after it goes down the Forge Seer can simply turn its attention elsewhere.
- Rager: The other Khador 'jacks with ranged weapons are a big points investment, but the humble Rager is cheap and packs the ever-useful Shield Guard to protect not only the Forge Seer but any other models you might want to keep safe. Its three initial attacks in melee work very well with the global Marshaling buffs to boot.
- Beast-09 - Although the Greylord can't marshal Beast (unless you play out-of-theme), he can give Beast and Sorscha his Freezer. This combination is actually deceptively powerful because many armies will have trouble taking Beast out using only ranged attacks (and if they try they'll just trigger Beast's Hyper-Aggressive ability) and if they charge Beast and fail to kill him, they'll be made stationary.
- Battle Mechaniks: All Man-o-War models have the Repairable rule.
- Greylord Units: Ternions and Outriders can benefit from Winter's Wind, and they protect it with Blizzards and target it with Winter's Wind in return.
- Kommandant Atanas Arconovich: All Man-o-War models can benefit from his Tactician ability.
- Man-o-War Demolition Corps: The Seer freezes something and the Corps come around to Shatter it.
You'll primarily see Bad Santa here for his Damage Type: Magical/Blessed as they don't have that many natively. The Man-o-War already have their own Man-o-War Kovnik 'jack marshal that grants assault to his 'jack and helps other Man-o-War. Though the empower is nice, there are other/better options.
Jaws of the Wolf
Absolutely excellent here. The theme force has a real problem with incorporeal, but bad santa fixes that. Combine that with the fact that most of our best 'jack casters don't have the focus to help them, and the greylord can really help here. It does cause a problem that any field marshals like Kommander Harkevich, the Iron Wolf's reposition 3" or battlegroup-wide effects like Karchev the Terrible's Road to War don't apply, but it's usually worth it.
Wolves of Winter
Odd, he does synergize well with other greylords due to Winter's Wind. However his drive isn't really worth it, due to the extreme density of Magical options in theme. Most of the time he'll just be taken if your caster is running so focus dry they want anyone else to handle their jacks.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Like all Man-o-War infantry, its base SPD and DEF are very low.
- It doesn't have any defensive abilities, making it very vulnerable if you don't protect it.
- Outside of the Armored Corps it can be difficult to screen.
- It can't Empower warjacks with a disabled Cortex.
- A lot of its tricks don't work on models with Immunity: Cold or those that can't be made stationary.
Tricks & Tips
- The Forge Seer is the only model Khador has to directly counter Disruption, making it an especially interesting tech choice against Factions like Cygnar.
- Khador can have trouble disposing of Incorporeal models, the Forge Seer brings some much-needed magical damage to alleviate that issue without relying on Mercenaries.
- Originally released 2017.03.
- Nickname(s): "Bad Santa."
- Its Khador Military insignia signify the Forge Seer's rank of Kapitan.
- Its Greylord Covenant insignia signify the Forge Seer's rank of Koldun.
Other Khador Models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)