Greygore Boomhowler & Co.
|Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Greygore Boomhowler & Co. |
Led by the legendary Trollkin fell caller Greygore Boomhowler, this mercenary company can match lead and steel with any regiment of soldiers in the Iron Kingdoms. The brutal combination of Greygore’s devastatingly ear-splitting cries and the natural resilience and tenacity of his Trollkin mercenaries has frequently proven invaluable to military commanders across the land.
Greygore Boomhowler & Co.
- Partisan [ Trollblood ] - When included in a Trollblood army, this model/unit is a Trollblood model/unit instead of a Minion model/unit.
- Entire Unit
- +1 MAT, +1 RAT, +1 CMD, +7 HP
- Fell Calls - This model can make one of the following calls at any time during its activation. A friendly Faction model/unit can be affected by only one call each turn.
- Cacophony - While in this model's command range, enemy models/units cannot cast spells or be used to channel spells. Cacophony lasts for one round.
- Call of Defiance - While in formation, models in this unit do not lose Tough while knocked down. Call of Defiance lasts for one round.
- Reveille - Knocked down friendly Faction models in this model's command range immediately stand up. Models that became knocked down this turn are not affected by Reveille.
- As a Minion unit they can go in every theme, but they'll use your "Up to one Minion unit" slot most of the time.
- Band of Heroes They gain "Optional Take Down" in this theme.
- Kriel Company. They don't use up your Minion slot in this theme.
- Power of Dhunia
- Storm of the North. They gain Immunity:Cold and become Northkin models in this theme.
- Other Factions
- As a merc/minion unit they can also be taken in a bunch of other Faction's theme forces. See #Other Theme Forces.
- Went down to 8/12 pts (-3/-5)
- Boomhowler & grunts gained Shooting Gallery.
Thoughts on Boomhowler1
Boomhowler1 in a nutshell
Boomhowlers are a marginal tar pit jamming unit with Boomhowler's ability to keep the unit making tough rolls and with their innate toughness and resistance to blasts and small arms fire making them a minor nuisance to remove. The fell call that will make the enemy grind their teeth when it works, however, is Cacophony - which shuts down animi as well as some spellcasting units.
They have taken possibly the biggest rebalance, the cost of the maximum sized unit dropping by five points. Essentially Boomhowler himself is a three point solo with his groupies being one point chaff models which is a good price for them.
Combos & Synergies
- The unit gains Ambush when taken in the Kingmakers theme. Ambush is good even if Boomhowlers aren't.
- Drake MacBain is one of the only casters that realistically wants to take Boomhowler & Co. so Greygore can use his Reveille call to stand up all knocked down models within 8" after MacBain's feat, which adds another very powerful dimension to Macbain's feat turn. He can also yell Cacaphony and run 10" forward to create a no magic bubble (no-shooting as well with Countermeasure) that can't be removed without Grievous Wounds or the like.
- Fiona the Black can put Roth's Mercy on the unit to keep Boomhowler alive to sustain a cacophony.
- Gorten Grundback - Solid Ground keeps them standing so they can keep on Toughing.
- Durgen Madhammer - His feat gives them Dual attack, enabling the use of both of their weapons. Primed makes them hit harder.
- Krielstone dramatically improves their survivability.
- Power of Dhunia currently lacks any 10 model units to contest or jam.
- In Band of Heroes, they fill the combined arms role.
- Madrak3 - The are the cheapest 10 man unit to put Battle Lust on, after Kriel Warriors, meaning you get a lot of value out of a comparatively small point investment.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Easy to hit and they go down pretty easily, even with tough.
- A lot of things (especially Grievous Wounds) counter Tough.
- Offensively they are jacks of all trades and masters of none. Without buffs MAT 6 is acceptable but not great for killing infantry, and POW 12 isn't quite enough to maul heavies. Any buffs and their offensive stats become really useful but they need a small buff in whatever direction you want to use them in.
- Including this model prevents you taking Boomhowler2 or Boomhowler3 - both of them important support models in their own right.
Tricks & Tips
- Keep Boomhowler at the back to keep him alive.
- Shutting down channeling and animi can be worth its weight in gold.
- Released way back in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
Other Theme Forces
| Cygnar (Edit)
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Other Faction models
|Mercenary Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Lesser Warlocks||Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)|
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Alexia1 - Asphyxious4 - Croe's Cutthroats - Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters - Blythe & Bull - Boomhowler1 - Herne & Jonne - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus & Edrea - MacHorne1 - The Commodore Cannon - The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
Cephalyx Agitator - Death Archon - Gobber Tinker - Menite Archon - Morrowan Archon - Ogrun Bokur - Powder Monkey - SH Arcanist - SH Ironhead - SH Gunner - Swamp Gobber River Raider Thamarite Advocate - Thamarite Archon - Void Archon
Alexia2 - Alexia3 - Alten Ashley - Anastasia Di Bray - Balthazar Bamfist - Black Bella1 - Black Bella2 - Bloody Bradigan - Boomhowler2 - Boomhowler3 - Bosun Grogspar - Brun Cragback & Lug - Captain Crawtooth - Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Dez1 - Dez2 - Dirty Meg - Doc Killingsworth - Doctor Stygius - Eilish1 - Eiryss1 - Eiryss2 - Eiryss4 - First Mate Hawk - Flubbin1 - Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 - Flugwug the Filcher - Crosse1 - Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One - Gorman1 - Gorman2 - Grand Master Gabriel Throne - Gubbin1 - Gubbin2 - Gudrun1 - Gudrun2 - Harlan Versh, Illuminated One - Harlowe Holdemhigh - Hermit of Henge Hold - Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - J.A.I.M.s - Kell Bailoch - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Lord Rockbottom - MacHorne2 - Major Harrison Gibbs - Malvin2 - Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - Princess Delores Graciela - Ragman - Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - Rorsh & Brine - Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer - Savio Montero Acosta - Saxon Orrik - Scythe - Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye - Stannis Brocker - Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage - Thor Steinhammer - Tubbin - Underboss Vizkoya - Viktor Pendrake - Weird Wendell - Widget1 - Widget2 - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
|Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter|
|This index was last updated: 2021.11|
|Which Faction am I?
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)