Theme - Gravediggers
| Theme - Gravediggers |
Trenchers are men and women of grit found at the forefront of every battlefield. The first on the field and the last to leave, it is the trenchers’ duty to form the vanguard of Cygnar’s military might and seize the battlefield against all opposition. Trenchers dig in and hold the line, proud to spill their blood for their countrymen and seeing the battlefield as the only proper gravesite.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
|An army made using the Gravediggers theme force can include only the following Cygnar models:|
Full model list
The models allowed in Gravediggers are: [Show/Hide]
This list was last updated: 2017.09 (Edit)
(★) Because Gibbs is specifically allowed in this theme, he doesn't use your "Up to one Mercenary" slot.
|No changes since it was released in 2017.09|
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Gravediggers in a nutshell
Trenchers form the highly-trained core of Cygnar's armed might, and this theme allows you to field an entire force of them.
You end up with quite a balanced army, especially from a scenario-scoring point of view, with a variety of warjacks, units and solos. This makes it a pretty versatile force for playing Steamroller scenarios.
Countering high ARM values are what Gravediggers will struggle with. Most models will only be equipped with POW 10 or 11 weapons with a similar P+S in melee.
Your main options for mitigating this areare:
- Combined Ranged Attack on the Trencher Infantry and Long Gunners allows them to put out some high POW shots, although this can mean some hard choices into infantry spam lists played by Cephalyx or even Cryx.
- The Trencher Commandos mini-feat. POW 14 grenades hurt, but still don't do much into ARM19 or above.
- Warcasters with damage buffs such as Fury or Positive Charge make Trencher Infantry and Commandos hit very hard with their charge attacks.
- In a 75 points list, you will want to take 60 points of Trencher models in order to get 3 free solos, CAs or Express Teams (since they are all so good and the theme relies on them), this leaves you 15 points to spend on merc models which can assist with the ARM cracking problem.
- Caine2 offers Fire for Effect, which can make a Combined Ranged Attack, Trencher Express Team or Trencher Blockhouse hit well above their class.
- Most of the boostable, high POW guns or P+S melee weapons will be on your Warcasters and Warjacks.
Outside high ARM, Incorporeal models can cause a lot of headache too. Your sources for magic damage outside the caster will be Triumph, and the Warcaster Lieutenant with a short ranged, extremely expensive spell, and his blade.
Unlike most themes, Gravediggers have a starter set. This is a decent purchase as you save about 11% over buying the contents individually. The contents are:
- A 10-man unit of Trencher Infantry plus their command attachment, plus two weapon attachments.
- A Trencher Cannon weapon crew unit
- Commander Anson Hitch, a character solo
- A Trencher Master Gunner solo
- A Patrol Dog solo
- This adds up to 35 points, plus the Cannon that you'll take as your first free card.
You'll notice that there is no warcaster or warjacks included.
List Building Thoughts
You're looking at supporting light infantry, sometimes with a DEF skew with certain 'casters.
- Haley3 is the golden standard for Gravediggers and has huge meta presence with them as of right now. She can cast Tactical Supremacy on Trencher Infantry, allowing them to advance, drop smoke bombs, and reposition outside of them, allowing you to create a wall of smoke to hide your army behind. Her Temporal Distortion bubbles also skews the DEF of your forces. Additionally she can fuel at least two Chargers, three if you are so inclined but you migth want to run a Lancer instead. Lastly, she can play for assassination, attrition or scenario thanks to her echoes, so she is just as versatile as her troops.
- Siege2 makes Trenchers faster with Desperate Pace and his feat and provides them with Fury, High Ground and Hallowed Avenger. He is the best caster for Commandos since they threaten really far under Desperate Pace and his feat. They also hit relatively hard thanks to Fury. High Ground makes Infantry even better against shooting and Hallowed Avenger punished your opponent for attacking them. Lastely, he too has so good scenario presence thanks to his trusty turret companion.
- Sloan. She likes Rangers and a cloud wall. She doesn't do much for her units, but Combined Ranged Attack means most are fairly self-sufficient.
- As a battlegroup warcaster, you probably won't be getting the most free solos, so it's better to play her in Heavy Metal.
- Caine2 likes a lot of the same units for the same reasons.
- Styker1 has an interesting combo with Hitch. Hitch gives Feign Death to a unit and Stryker knocks them down with Earthquake, now they can't be shot. And the unit is back to normal next time thanks to Rise, so very little downside.
- Just don't let them get charged.
- Or let AOEs drift onto them if they aren't dug in.
- Jakes2 the best target for her feat, Maxwell Finn, is in this theme. Trencher are fairly self sufficient as well and only really need a damage buff, which Jakes brings in Positive Charge.
- You've got an army swimming in Trenchers, so it's pretty easy to get the maximum number of shots from Manual Reload.
- The ability to get the most from them is pretty constrained by the amount of focus you can allocate to them. To get the most out of them, consider:
- Melee warjacks. What you'll be lacking thanks to so many Trenchers is some serious armour cracking. Consider something with serious punch:
It should be noted however, that the theme incentivises you to take 60 points of Trenchers to get all you free models and warjacks don't count for that. Furthermore, your remaining 15 points are best spent on Mercenary models (discussed below). Consequently you will never see battlegroup controllers or marshalled jacks in a good Gravediggers list. Especially since the most popular Gravediggers caster, Haley3, has enough spare focus to fuel 2-3 Grenadiers on her own.
Easy. Take anything that has 'Trencher' in the title.
- A good start is to take a unit of Trencher Infantry, typically either a minimum unit with the Command Attachment or a maximum unit.
- Then take a full unit of Trencher Long Gunners with the Command Attachment.
- Then two Trencher Express Teams.
This is the core of the most popular Gravedigger lists right now.
- Rangers generally suit gun casters, but Trenchers don't really have problems hitting anything with guns.
- Trencher Commandos are more specialised and only really suit a handful of army builds. Siege2 really likes them though.
- The Trencher Grenadier WAs are nice and all, but genereally not worth spending points on.
- Trench Busters give you some added melee presence, especially if they can trigger Flank. Two are useful.
- The Shield Guards also mitigate the loss of Arcane Shield in this theme.
- Commander Anson Hitch stops all of your units gumming each other up.
- Captain Jonas Murdoch to make Lady Aiyana and Master Holt freindly faction models, which is important for Kiss of Lyliss.
- Captain Maxwell Finn he makes Trenchers hit more accurately AND is a murder machine in his own right. Seriously, why would you not want to play the toughest bastard alive?!
- Major Harrison Gibbs Cygnar partisan and as well as a Trencher, thus does not count towards your one merc solo. He's a great utility solo since he can give Ragman or Anastasia reposition and feign death and also provides Hot Meal. If you consider that worth spending 4 points on, rather than the Master Gunner, go for it!
- Trencher Master Gunner gives your Express Teams an additional attack and has a RAT boost for your Trench Busters, your Grenadiers as well as your Grenadiers
- Patrol Dog.
- Who's a good boy?
- You're a good boy!
- Yes, you are!
- Ahem. Outside of certain casters, you will struggle against Stealth targets. Doggo saves the day. For 2 points, he's a steal; depending on what you're facing, he can easily piece trade 4 or even 5 times his point cost in one turn.
- Yes, you are!
- You're a good boy!
- Who's a good boy?
The Trencher Blockhouse is currently seen as a niche piece. Some support tools and spells can start to make your opponent think it's no longer worth ignoring, though. Consider the following tools:
- Snipe for a range buff.
- Fire for Effect for overall effectiveness.
- Temporal Distortion, Deadeye or Earthquake for accuracy.
- You need Murdoch to make Aiyana a Faction model, otherwise Kiss of Lyliss doesn't help.
- Also Aiyana is the only easy way to get magic weapons in Gravediggers (bar your caster of course).
- Alexia Ciannor & The Risen for some tenacious recursion.
- Combine with the Trencher Blockhouse and Haley3 for maximmum recursion.
- Whenever a Trencher dies Alexia gains a corpse token to create a Risen, the Blockhouse puts into play reinforcements or Haley revives the fallen Grunt. (You can't do both Reinforcement and Revive, as both abilities try and Return the same model.)
- Ragman is all about making those Trenchers worth a damn in melee, and those Trench Busters terrifying.
- Anastasia di Bray can give you another +1 to the die roll if you really, really want to go first.
- Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord has two buffs:
- Hands out concealment which, although it doesn't stack with the cover that Trenchers will normally have from Dig In, at least won't go away when someone with Parry runs past your Trenchers and puts them all "in melee" for 0.5 seconds.
- Plus, he also hands out pathfinder, which can be crucial depending on the board's terrain.
Starting A 25 point list
If you're still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- (2) Patrol Dog
- It was the first theme force to go through CID, with the beta rules released in 2017.06 and the final rules released 2017.09
Other Cygnar models
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Benefits for a single model/unit (eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Number of free models [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Slaughter Fleet Raiders [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]