|We have 1225 articles and 88% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Locke (1 year review)||Suppresor (1 year review)||Fire of Salvation (1 year review)||Severius0 (1 year review)|
Spiteful creatures that lurk behind the looking glass and fall upon the vain enraptured by their own reflections, glimmer imps now skulk into combat to aid their fellow grymkin. With no eyes of their own, they crave stealing the eyes of others to see through them. They have a preference for unusual eye colors, but in a pinch are content to scoop out a pair of simple browns.
- Eyeless Sight - This model 1) ignores cloud effects when determining LOS, 2) always ignores concealment and Stealth, and 3) never suffers Blind.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Paralyzing Gaze - Enemy models with LOS to this model suffer –2 DEF while in this model's command range.
- Spoon - 0.5" reach, melee weapon that never has a damage roll.
- Scoop - Do not make damage rolls with this weapon. A living or undead model hit by this weapon automatically suffers 1 damage point. This weapon cannot damage construct models.
- Eye-Thief - When a living or undead model is damaged by an attack with this weapon, it suffers Blind for one round. (Blind - A model suffering Blind cannot make ranged or magic attacks, suffers -4 MAT and DEF, and cannot run, charge, or make slam or trample power attacks. It must forfeit either its Normal Movement or Combat Action during its next activation. Blind can be shaken.)
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon deals Magical damage. Incorporeal models can be damaged by attacks from sources with this damage type.
Thoughts on Glimmer Imp
Glimmer Imp in a nutshell
The murderer with the extremely inefficient weapon - now on tabletop! A no-frills support solo, who offers universal RAT/MAT fix by running up and staring at enemies. He's a great accuracy fixer, and occasionally he'll run around scooping things eyes out which is pretty horrifying. His fixing ability is extremely notable considering there's only one widescale accuracy buff in the faction (Manifest Destiny on Dreamer) and apart from that there is only spot fixes (Scourge on Witch3 will only hit a small number of targets for example).
Why Should I Take a Glimmer Imp?
The Glimmer Imp is available to both Grymkin themes, Bump in the Night and Dark Menagerie. He's always going to be useful to sit on a flag at the end of the day as a stealth solo, but the primary reason to bring him is to accuracy fix. This is especially relevant for casters and armies without an accuracy fixer. The Child can run some absolutely terrifying beasts such as SPD6 POW19 cage ragers with free charges and 5 fury, or SPD7 POW21 Skin&Moans, but she can't do anything to fix their accuracy. That's where the Glimmer Imp comes in.
The Glimmer Imp can also be one of your Freebies in Bump in the Night and is a decent one if you don't have anyone else in mind. He can be very much a "one shot missile" of accuracy fixing, but if the turn is impactful enough it can be absolutely worth it.
Combos & Synergies
The Glimmer Imp essentially synergises with every model in the faction that makes attacks. Hes an accuracy fixer. Not much needs to be said that he'll make everyone more accurate. But it is worth nothing some defensive tools
- He benefits from Old Witch's Windstorm greatly, as getting to choose deviation for blasts is critical for his poor arm 10
- In particular his synergy with Rattlers should be highlighted above standard synergies. Rattlers with say, Manifest Destiny from The Dreamer against debuffed troops means it essentially never misses.
- He appreciates models bigger than him who can block LOS to him
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Dies to pretty much anything that touches him. Def 14 Arm 10 is a joke even with stealth.
- Blind won't trigger on constructs (read, warjacks, Convergence infantry, and anything with "Wold" in its name), and you better forget about it against Legion warbeasts - but Paralyzing Gaze still affects them.
- Support bloat - you can spend an overly large part of your army points for support pieces easily. It's always a careful balancing act
- Lack of Pathfinder can make him reaching the desired board position problematic
Tricks & Tips
Many people get a bit too eager with their Glimmer Imp and throw him away potentially for very little gain. Your opponent only has so many resources, and nestled in the middle of your army he's most likely benefitting from shield guards, arcane vortexes, his own stealth, and possibly an ARM buff from the Death Knell. The key is that Grymkin are essentially a counterpunch faction. You invite bad trades, and are very often out-threatened, sometimes to a large degree.
Once an enemy model(s) invites themselves into the Grymkin army to strike first, the Glimmer Imp can stand in relatively safe positions and debuff them without having to sacrifice his life. The longer the game goes the less attacks can be directed at him, and its possible to gain value from him over multiple turns. However, don't be afraid to throw him away if its worth it. What's worth losing the glimmer imp over won't always be the same from game to game. For example, using him to debuff a haley3 echo and a pile of trenchers for your wraithbaned rattler could be seriously valuable
- Models with Tactician don't block LOS to him, so those Ogrun / Trenchers can see through each other to see him and get debuffed
- He's MAT 5 only on paper, but due to the fact anyone he is attacking can either see him, or is being hit in the back means he will always be MAT 7
- Blind is a very powerful effect, sometimes scooping out a cavalry model's eye or a valuable dragoon such as Champion of the Order of the Wall will be great value. Especially when they struggle to hit him back at effectively Defense 18 (due to them taking -4 to attack rolls)
- He doesn't block LOS for most of your army outside of 5" due to stealth. But he does to anyone with the Frightmare Animus up, and for Hollowmen.
- Invaluable for Assassination
- Released with the Faction release (2017.06)
- One of the few models to go through a CID process and yet not get changed.
Other Grymkin models
|Grymkin Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Battle Engines||Death Knell|
|Dark Menagerie - Bump in the Night|
|This index was last updated: 2019.04|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)