Garryth, Eye of Vengeance
|We have 1219 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Locke (1 year review)||Suppresor (one year review)||Exemplar Bastion Seneschal (one year review)||Exemplar Errants (One one year review)|
| Garryth, Eye of Vengeance |
Garryth has earned his place among the deadliest mage hunters in the Retribution over a century spent tireless stalking the sect’s foes across western Immoren. But during the Skorne Empire’s invasion of Ios, he was given cause to reevaluate his tactics. An attempt to neutralize Supreme Domina Makeda failed in a way that suggested he had become reckless. He has chosen to take a more measured and systematic approach, striking from a distance with Void Singer, a powerful sniper rifle made to his specifications. He is still willing to close for the kill with blade when needed but chooses his moment carefully after allowing the prey to approach, demonstrating the focus and patience of an apex predator.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on the Garryth2
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. (Click the link for a full rundown.)
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Field Marshal [Pathfinder] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Pathfinder.
- Perfect Storm - If he aims, Garryth's control range increases by 2" for one round. In addition he can choose one of three effects:
- Bullseye - Garryth's gun gains Armor-Piercing for one round. Bullseye expire if Garryth moves, is placed or gets engaged. (Armor-Piercing - When calculating damage from this weapon, halve the base ARM stat of models hit.)
- Camouflage - Garryth gains Stealth for one round.
- Spitfire - Garryth's ranged weapon effectively gains Reload  (the wording is different, but the effect is the same).
- Reposition [5"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 5", then its activation ends.
- Void Singer - 14" range, POW 14 ranged attack
- Blessed - Attacks with this weapon ignore spells & animi that add to the target's DEF or ARM.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon deals Magical damage.
- Black Penny - this weapon/attack ignores the "target in melee" DEF bonus.
- Witch Mark - If this attack hits an enemy model during this model's activation, until the end of that activation this model can target and automatically hit that enemy model with spells, ignoring RNG and LOS.
- Blade - 0.5" reach, POW 5, P+S 11 melee weapon
|Target model/unit suffers -2 DEF and ARM, loses Tough, and cannot have damage removed from it. Mortality lasts for one round.|
| Mage Sight
|Place a 5" AOE completely within the caster's control range. While a model is within the AOE, models in the caster's battlegroup ignore forests and cloud effects when drawing LOS to it and ignore Stealth when attacking it.|
|Target friendly Faction model/unit gains Stealth. Models are not affected while out of formation.|
| Road to War
|When a friendly Faction model in the caster's control range destroys one or more enemy models with a melee or ranged attack during its activation, immediately after the attack is resolved one warjack in the caster's battlegroup that is in its control range can advance up to 3". A warjack can advance as a result of Road to War only once per turn.|
Feat: Zero Hour
This feat has two effects:
- While friendly Retribution models are in Garryth's control range, their ranged weapons gain Black Penny. (As above)
- Additionally, when an enemy model advances and ends its movement within Garryth's control range, one friendly Retribution model in Garryth's control range can target the enemy with a basic melee or ranged attack.
A model can only attack once as a result of the feat.
Lasts for one round.
- Defenders of Ios
- Forges of War. In this theme he can start the game with upkeeps already in play on friendly models, and upkeep them for free on turn 1.
- Legions of Dawn
- Shadows of the Retribution. He gains "optional" Take Down in this theme.
Thoughts on the Garryth2
Garryth2 in a Nutshell
Garryth 2 is a combined arms caster. He wants lots of hard hitting attacks to make use of his Mortality spell, but also many ranged jacks to make use of Road to War, so a tight balance needs to be found with him. His only help with delivery is Occulatation, so he generally wants self sufficient troops that get there on their own.
Mostly a defensive feat, letting you gain an attrition advantage by a large volume of out of activation attacks, but has a little bit of a control element by forcing your opponent to play around it and prevent said attrition advantage. Its "just" defensive strike most of the time, but being able to put gunshots into a target is nice, especially guns with high power or special effects. Like using a banshee to knock down a charging jack/beast. Doesn't do much against hostile guns however.
Alternatively, you can use the feat more for the army wide Black Penny. Counter a "run to engage" jammer that you didn't manage to pre-emptively feat, use it to set up a second charge by clearing out your previously engaged melee troops.
Weapon and Ability Thoughts
- Void Singer Garryth 2's gun is a great weapon and an excellent vehicle for much of his kit. Long range, high POW, Magic, Blessed, Black Penny, and Witch Mark means Garryth has an option for getting out Mortality beyond just moving up and casting it, Black Penny means he can get kills and Mortality's into models in melee, and the exceptional stats on the weapon just means he can do a lot of damage with it and is, himself, a reliable trigger for Road to War. It also interacts with a lot of his rules from Perfect Storm, potentially enhancing everything just mentioned.
- Perfect Storm Perfect Storm really fleshes Garryth out as the Arcane Sniper powerhouse he's supposed to be. Aiming increases his control area, which allows him to Aim and Mage Sight at the same range as his gun, and it also increases the area threatened by his feat. Additionally, he gets to choose between one big damage shot, the ability to buy a couple of additional shots, or stealth himself, letting you tailor his output and/or safety to the current situation. Since this ability requires Garryth to aim, you can't guarantee that he can always use it, and he can get plenty done by walking and shooting/casting, but executing a good Perfect Storm can be very rewarding.
Note, Perfect Storm is intended to last for one round, currently there is an error on the printed rules. See here for information (link to infernals). https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?278380-Garryth-Eye-of-Vengeance-and-Perfect-Storm&p=3873767&viewfull=1#post3873767
- Mage Sight helps him draw a bead to models hiding behind forests or stealthy models, as well as the rest of your battlegroup.
- Mortality One of the most powerful tools in his kit, Mortality does many things. It allows him to increase the lethality of his entire army, counter enemy lists with lots of healing effects like Rapid Healing and Tough, and it even makes his feat more powerful since it lasts a full round. Additionally, a Garryth 2 list may choose many options when deciding how best to deliver this spell (rely solely on Witch Mark, use one of our Arc Node warjacks, take Sylys as your attachment, or even take Eilish to reroll missed applications).
- Occultation keeps himself or other key models from being shot themselves. Stealth lets your better models get real close to the enemy before they can fight. Also of note is the fact that he (and any other model for that matter) can shoot through stealthed allies. Combined with th Black Penny part of his feat you can even shoot enemies currently jamming your main infantry line.
- Road to War is a spell that can either have minimal impact (lists with colossi or mostly point filler jacks) or be list defining. Three inches of threat extension/retreat on a powerful gun (Banshee, Daemon), melee assassination threat (Moros, Imperatus), or simply digging into a melee tarpit to get more targets (Phoenix), the spell gets work done that would otherwise not be possible. Combine with other threat extension effects for best effect. As a self upkeep, keep in mind that this conflicts with using Occultation on Garryth to keep himself protected.
Drawbacks & Downsides
Garryth is focus hungry. This is not unusual for retribution casters, but between having two high value upkeeps (one of which is tied to warjacks that need fuelling), a potent but expensive offensive spell, and a gun that's begging to have large quantities of focus spent on it you can easily drop your entire stack and still not do half the stuff you might want to. The more focus providing effects you can bring the better.
As a caster that also wants to do work personally (and probably needs to, unless you have arc nodes), be mindful of over extending. He may have stealth and reposition to keep him safe, but they will only go so far and anything which can launch boosted attack rolls will drop him quickly.
Tricks & Tips
- Perfect Storm only lasts one round, so in your next turn your control range will shrink back down before your warjacks receive free focus from Power Up.
List Building Advice
Assassination or Attrition. Garryth has significant personal threat and tools to make the rest of his list into a threat via stat debuffing and threat extension, but those tools can be easily turned to gaining an incremental advantage on the table, until either a route to an assassination does show up or there is insufficient board presence left to contest the scenario.
The best theme to run him in is probably Legions of Dawn because it offers two good targets for Occulatation in Sentinels and Destors, quasi Tactician to his jacks the Sentinels make excellent use of Mortality.
- Dawnguard Sentinels - They are P+S 12, 2" weapon masters so they make excellent use of Mortality and the long reach of their swords mean they love his feat as well. Throw Occultation on them, pop feat as well as their mini-feat and throw them against the enemy frontline; thanks to stealth and black penny you can shoot everthing infront of them with impunity and what is left either has to ignore them, or try to get rid of them, in which case the Sentinels can whack them twice thanks to feat and vengeance.
- Dawnguard Destors - Big hulking cavalry models are always prone to being shot of the board. Stealth helps with this.
- Dawnguard Trident - You will be hard pressed to find better shooting in this theme. It doesn't benefit from Mage Sight unfortunately, however it's never a bad trigger for RtW with anywhere between 3-9 shots.
- Imperatus With RtW and Sidestep he can dart around quite a bit, while also being extremely stury and bringing two (!) P+S 17, 2" swords.
Alternatively he can run a pretty decent Defenders of Ios force for similar reasons. There's three excellent melee units to make use of Occulatation, Mortality and his feat, while backed up by ranged solos, units and battle engines to trigger Road to War. The theme also brings its own solution to Stealth in the Houseguard Thane.
- Arcantrik Force Generator - Similar to the Banshee it can slam models over, which stops them in their tracks when they enter his feat bubble and also set up targets for assassinations.
- Ryssovass Defenders and House Ellowuyr Swordsmen fill a similar role to Sentinels in that they are hard hitting melee units, that are either unmoved by cavalry or resilient against shooting.
- Houseguard Halberdiers - They bring excellent speed to a list with their Thane and also hit at P+S 16 on charges under Mortality and minifeat.
- Heavy Rifle Team and Stormfall Archers bring quality shooting to his list, which will make the opponent think twice about entering his control bubble on feat turn, and on your turn they are experts in triggering Road to War.
- Sylys - He'S got 3 upkeeps and only FOCUS 6. Sylys eases his focus burden.
- Eiryss1 - Both instances of her become even more of a control piece under his feat. Eiryss1 will strap all the focus of a jack entering the feat bubble, meaning it can't buy or boost anymore and also comes with Deadly Shot, which can trigger RtW easily.
- Eiryss2 - She can strap upkeeps from models entering the bubble (even from entire units, she only needs to hit one member), so if the enemy relies on damage buffs like Fury or Draconic Blessing for example, they will have to take d3 damage (and let her roll any extra die against the target) or let the upkeep expire and possibly fail to do significant damage.
- Ghost Snipers - They are cheap and kill squishy targets like no other, making them excellent at triggering Road to War.
- Arcanist Mechaniks - Ever so ubiquious, especially so with focus strapped casters.
- Moros - His character warjack gains Acrobatics due to his bond. Among Parry, Acrobatics, Fleet and Road to War thats a lot of movement shinanagence you can pull of. Under feat it can also paralyse anything that enters Garryth's control range within 8" of it.
- Banshee - It sports the gun with the best control aspect you can get for his feat, just slam something over that dares to come too close. It also hits very hard in melee, perfect for Mortality. Furthermore the 2" range on its sword makes it a good candidate for the quasi-defensive strike of the feat. And lastly; Moros and a Banshee fill his WJPs exactly, which is great if you want to focus on infantry.
- Hydra - If fully topped of it sports the most powerful gun with the longest range in the faction, meaing it creates a huge bubble of no-entry for all but the toughest enemy models under feat.
- Phoenix - Similar to the Banshee in that it carries a 2" sword for the feat. It's gun isn't as great though and the Banshee hits harder by default, also the Arc Node is only situationally useful on a caster with Witch Mark.
- Harpy - Thunderbolt is excellent under feat as it seriously messes with the enemies movement. They are spammable as well, which is great for Garryth.
- Released at LOC (2019.02)
Video Battle Reports
- 2019.07 MBMeanMachine, vs Baldwin1
- 2019.06 Lock & Load Masters Final, vs Dreamer1
- 2019.06 Lock & Load Masters Semi-Final, vs Harbinger1
- 2019.04 Connor's Retribution Analysis, vs Iona1
- 2019.04 Tiny Men, vs Skarre1
- 2019.04 Tiny Men, vs Old Witch1
- 2019.04 Arcane Assist, vs Rasheth1
- 2019.03 Connor's Retribution Analysis, vs Ashlynn1
- 2019.03 Arcane Assist, vs Hexeris1
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Other Retribution models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)