| Freebooter |
Freebooters barrel across heaving decks to obliterate anything in their path. A favorite of sea captains everywhere, the Freebooter has undergone a number of mechanical alterations to turn this former labourjack to military use, and it takes to brawling with frightening enthusiasm. Many crews graft a jury-rigged arcane turbine to the engine that allows warcasters to shred a few gears for a quick surge of speed."
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Jury-Rigged [SPD] - A Freebooter can use Jury-Rigged at the start of its activation. This activation, it gains +2 SPD. At the end of the activation, it suffers 1 damage point to its first available Movement system box. It can't use Jury-Rigged if its Movement system is crippled. Jury-Rigged can only be used once per activation.
- Lash - This model, and friendly warrior models B2B with it cannot be knocked down.
- Clamp (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 14 melee weapons.
- Open Fist
- Trash - This weapon gets an additional damage die vs knocked down models.
- Chain Attack: Grab & Smash - If this model hits the same model with both its initial attacks with this weapon, after resolving the attacks it can immediately make a head-butt or throw power attack against that target.
- Flame in the Darkness. It can be "shared" by Cygnar or Khador models in this theme.
- Llaelese Resistance
- Operating Theater (only if you use a Cephalyx Dominator on a 'Jack Marshal unit)
- Soldiers of Fortune
- The Irregulars. If it's 'Jack Marshalled, it gains Flank [Warrior model] in this theme.
- The Kingmaker's Army
- The Talion Charter
- Other Factions
- Flame in the Darkness as described above.
- Hearts of Darkness. It can only go in this theme if Crosse2 is leading the army. It becomes an Infernal model and gains Accumulator [Soulless].
- There are dozens of other Faction's themes it can go in if it is under the control of a Mercenary 'Jack Marshal or "Junior Warcaster" that works for that other Faction. Omitted for brevity.
2019.05 Talion Dynamic Update
- +1 ARM
Thoughts on Freebooter
Freebooter in a nutshell
Freebooters are full of neat tricks and quite capable of wrecking shop against things that can be knocked down. The ability to charge and throw thanks to Chain Attack: Grab and Smash is exceptionally powerful. For its bargain price it can do incredible things. They are the best throw-bots in the game.
If the target cannot be knocked down, however, it's basically a light on steroids. The recent changes made it slightly better but didn't change it much.
Combos & Synergies
- Anything that causes Knockdown turns the Freebooter into a heavy hitter since it can get extra dice on its initial attacks
- Captain Phinneus Shae makes it even faster. He also makes it charge for free which is absolutely awesome if you are using it with a 'Jack Marshal as this enables it to charge and use the Crush drive for decent damage and an extra attack. Charging with a Freebooter and using a Grab and Smash throw to knock down the opposing caster enables quick assassinations.
- Magnus the Warlord makes it faster with Escort for a 13" threat range, and Unyielding works pretty well with its low low cost.
- Lash has its uses when paired with tough models
- The Freebooter works really well as a marshalled jack in The Irregulars as Flank (and frequently the Crush drive) lets it hit like a "real" heavy warjack.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Steady and Serpentine models aren't much fun for the Freebooter. Throw them at the opposing caster.
- The Freebooter is an excellent jack for the points - but you can not rely on it as your main armour cracker; it does amazingly against already knocked down heavy and light jacks - but it performs like a light jack against colossals, gargantuans, battle engines, serpentine beasts, three legged Cryxian or Convergence jacks, Skorne Aradi, the Mariner, Ashlynn d'Elyse's battlegroup, anything too near the Covenant of Menoth and much much more. Of course if you know in advance all the enemy jacks and beasts can be knocked down and you have the knockdown go wild! This is why people need to mix up their lists, and why knowing the metagame is important.
Tricks & Tips
- Remember that only the final point of damage on the movement system matters. If you don't Jury Rig on turn 1 you'll almost certainly last the game before it trashes itself.
- Run multiple Freebooters. Charge with the first one and use the chain attack to throw the target heavy back towards your other Freebooters and on down the line if necessary.
- If you want freebooters on the cheap, the The Undercity boardgame contains two plastic ones. Officially these aren't tournament legal but when painted are indistinguishable (except by weight and bendiness).
- Released in Forces of Warmachine: Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
- The Mariner & Swabber share the Freebooter's chassis.
Who can take this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Human) (Edit)|
|Non-Casters||"Junior Warcaster"||Crosse1||'Jack Marshal|
- Note: Other restrictions may apply (such as 'Jack Marshals can't control Colossals).
Other Mercenary models