|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Freebooter |
This model is available in two Prime Armies,
. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Freebooters barrel across heaving decks to obliterate anything in their path. A favorite of sea captains everywhere, the Freebooter has undergone a number of mechanical alterations to turn this former labourjack to military use, and it takes to brawling with frightening enthusiasm. Many crews graft a jury-rigged arcane turbine to the engine that allows warcasters to shred a few gears for a quick surge of speed."
- Jury-Rigged [SPD] - This model can use Jury-Rigged at the start of its activation. This activation, this model gains +2 SPD. At the end of the activation, this model suffers 1 damage point to its first available Movement system box. This model can't use Jury-Rigged if its Movement system is crippled. Jury-Rigged can only be used once per activation.
- Lash - This model and friendly warrior models B2B with it cannot become knocked down.
- Other Factions
- Convergence players can use this warjack in the Strange Bedfellows theme, or by putting it in Aurora2's, Asphyxious4's, or Nemo4's battlegroup in various themes.
- Cryx players can use this warjack by putting it in Asphyxious4's battlegroup in various themes.
- Cygnar players can use this warjack in the Flame in the Darkness theme, or by putting it in Nemo4's battlegroup in various themes.
- Infernal players can take this model in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Crosse2 is leading the army. This model gains Accumulator [Soulless] in this theme.
- Khador players can use this warjack in the Flame in the Darkness theme.
- Aside from that, Mercenary warjacks can be taken in a plethora of Faction's themes via by putting it under the control of a Mercenary 'Jack Marshal or Mercenary "Junior Warcaster" (see #Who can take this warjack?). However the "Faction Type" of the warjack doesn't change when you do it this way.
Thoughts on Freebooter
Freebooter in a nutshell
It's a beatstick heavy at a bargain price - but if the target cannot be knocked down, it only hits as hard as a light warjack.
Even aside from trashing knocked down targets, Freebooters are full of neat tricks. For instance suddenly charging 10" (thanks to Jury-Rigged) and then throwing their charge target (thanks to Grab & Smash) - not many models in the game can make Power Attacks when starting so far away.
Combos & Synergies
- Anything that causes Knockdown turns the Freebooter into a heavy hitter since it can get extra dice on its initial attacks
- Captain Phinneus Shae makes it even faster. He also makes it charge for free which is absolutely awesome if you are using it with a 'Jack Marshal as this enables it to charge and use the Crush drive for decent damage and an extra attack. Charging with a Freebooter and using a Grab and Smash throw to knock down the opposing caster enables quick assassinations.
- Magnus the Warlord makes it faster with Escort for a 13" threat range, and Unyielding works pretty well with its low low cost.
- Lash has its uses when paired with tough models
- The Freebooter works really well as a marshalled jack in The Irregulars as Flank (and frequently the Crush drive) lets it hit like a "real" heavy warjack.
- Jakes2 in Flames in the Darkness can pilot some Freebooters to great effect, giving them Sprint, Escort and Positive Charge and a turn of 2" reach and e-leaps on feat turn.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Steady and Serpentine models aren't much fun for the Freebooter. Throw them at the opposing caster.
- The Freebooter is an excellent jack for the points, but you can not rely on it as your armour cracker. There is simply a lot of models in the game that cannot be knocked down (see Category: Anti-Knockdown) which make the Freebooter sad. So you're normally forced to take another heavy to fill the arm-cracking role.
Tricks & Tips
- Remember that only the final point of damage on the movement system matters. If you don't Jury Rig on turn 1 you'll almost certainly last the game before it trashes itself.
- Run multiple Freebooters. Charge with the first one and use the chain attack to throw the target heavy back towards your other Freebooters and on down the line if necessary.
- If you want freebooters on the cheap, the The Undercity boardgame contains two plastic ones. Officially these aren't tournament legal but when painted are indistinguishable (except by weight and bendiness).
- Released in Forces of Warmachine: Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
- The Mariner & Swabber share the Freebooter's chassis.
Who can take this warjack?
The standard way to include a Mercenary warjack in your army is to put it under the control of one of these models. So first you need to figure out which of these models will work for your Faction.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Human) (Edit)|
- Note: Other restrictions may apply (such as 'Jack Marshals can't control Colossals).
Other Mercenary models