Forge Master Syntherion
|We have 1351 articles and 91% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Forge Master Syntherion |
Constantly processing and as remote as the disembodied members of the Constellation, Sytherion's mind is occupied with complex equations, energy schematics and the application of engineering principles. Sytherion brings the same single-minded efficiency to war as to his workshop. There is no room for emotions, no pity or mercy. In every engagement Sytherion seeks to quickly eliminate whatever opposes him. Those clockwork soldiers who accompany him in battle know only too well that the forge master gives no allowance for error, discarding any who fail him, for in his calculations there is no possibility of redemption.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Forge Master Syntherion
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. Click here for a newbie-friendly recap, or click here for the full rules.
Feat : Technological Superiority
Other Models in Syntherion’s battlegroup beginning their activations in his control range gain 1 focus and Dual Attack. Technological Superiority lasts for one turn.
- Dual Attack - This model can make melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Auto-Repair - During your Control Phase, remove d3 damage points from this model.
- Empower (★ Action) - RNG CMD. Target friendly Faction warjack. If the target warjack is in range and it was suffering Disruption, it is no longer disrupted. The warjack also gains 1 focus point.
- Field Marshal [Auto-Repair] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Auto-Repair.
- Resourceful - This model can upkeep spells on models in its battlegroup without spending focus/fury.
- Soul Vessel - This model generates soul tokens as if it were a living model.
- Static Bolt - 11" range, POW 11 ranged attack
- Workshop Array (x2) - 0.5" range, P+S 14 melee attacks
|When Convection destroys a living enemy model, you can give 1 focus point to a warjack in the spellcaster's balttlegroup that is in its control range.|
|Target model in the spellcaster's battlegroup gains boosted ranged attack damage rolls.|
| Magnetic Hold
|Target model/unit suffers -2 SPD and DEF and cannot charge or make slam or trample power attacks. Friendly Faction construct models charging an affected model gain +2" movement.|
|When target large-based or smaller warjack in the spellcaster's battlegroup is disabled by an enemy attack at any time except while it is advancing, place it anywhere completely within 3" of its current location. Remove 1 damage point from each system, then Reconstruct expires.|
|While in the spellcaster's control range, models in this model's battlegroup gain a +1 cumulative bonus on melee attack and melee damage rolls for each other model in the battlegroup that hit an enemy model with a melee attack this turn while in the spellcaster's control range. This cumulative bonus cannot exceed +3.|
2020.02 Strange Bedfellows Dynamic Update
- Feat changed from "can charge for free" to "gains one free focus"
- Gained Empower
Thoughts on Forge Master Syntherion
Forge Master Syntherion in a nutshell
Syntherion is the toolbox caster for Convergence, a combined-arms caster with decent MAT & RAT. Backed up by Synergy for significant melee power and a feat that encourages you to use vectors with both ranged and melee attacks, his battlegroup can deal damage from afar as well as in close combat.
Syntherion's kit is pretty straightforward and effective for a battlegroup caster. Most games will start with casting Reconstruct and Hot Shot on turn 1, with a Synergy cast on turn 2. The battlegroup spells will stay up almost all game thanks to Resourceful, but don't be afraid to hot-swap Hot Shot for extra damage. Be aware of Purification and Lamentation-type effects, which punish your upkeep-heavy kit.
Syntherion's feat is useful for getting a large alpha-strike in and giving a large increase in the flexibility of your army's activations. The 1 free focus for each Vector is worse in a best-case scenario than the old free charges used to be, but it does give a turn where your induction chains aren't quite as vital to get exactly right. When possible, use the feat after landing a hit with Magnetic Hold and a Diffuser's beacon. This will vastly increase heavy threat ranges (13" for floating vectors and Inverters; 12" for the other quadrupeds), and then they can shoot following a successful charge. Remember, a vector must do all initial attacks before buying additional attacks. For example, if you charge with an Assimilator and buy an additional melee attack, you'll lose out on its gun!
Considering the focus efficiency of a standard Convergence force, you will very rarely need to this spell to get more focus onto your vectors. However, this is the only way Syntherion himself can do magic damage, so keep it in mind for corner cases (for example, exposed solos with incorporeal).
This should be cast turn 1 on a target with AoE attacks (Cipher, Assimilator) or a target with lots of ranged attacks (Prime Axiom). Since Hot Shot is a relatively cheap spell at cost 2, get in the habit of hot-swapping it between vectors. For example, activate a Prime Axiom with this spell, then activate Syntherion to recast the spell onto an Assimilator, and then activate the Assimilator to get two activations of boosted ranged damage rolls!
This spell will put a powerful debuff on enemies and allow for a better alpha strike/charge opportunities, but with Syntherion's FOCUS stat of 6 you will find yourself boosting to hit frequently. This means it'll usually take 4 focus to cast the spell, so make sure your target is flared for best results. Also, the range of this spell is short, so use an Algorithm Dispersion Optifex whenever possible to keep Syntherion safe.
This great spell gives a valuable heavy (Usually a Cipher, Inverter, or Assimilator) a second chance at life. Syntherion will likely be using focus to land a Magnetic Hold or soak attacks in later rounds, so don't prioritize recasting Reconstruct unless you safe and have nothing better to use the focus on. Watch out for abilities that deny healing, such as Grievous Wounds, as they will counter the spell's effect.
This spell is key to increasing melee damage output, so have it up at all times after round 1. Ramp it up quickly by charging in light vectors like the Galvanizer. At three stacks, most models will punch well above their weight, and Syntherion himself starts to put out appreciable P+S 17 strikes. (Of course, be careful when deciding to commit a caster!)
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He is well-rounded, but doesn't excel at any one given task.
- His average focus stat means hot swapping spells or boosting can deplete him quickly
- Very upkeep dependent, making him weak vs stuff that can strip upkeeps or make upkeeps more expensive.
- He doesn't gain Dual Attack from his own feat (because he has already started his activation).
Tricks & Tips
List Building Advice
His main method of winning is attrition - keeping your Vectors alive with Auto-Repair and Reconstruct while your opponent's models die around you.
Destruction Initiative - Army build
He's a pure battlegroup caster, so will (almost) always be in Destruction Initiative.
- Prime Axiom, transforms the angry fridge into the whirlwind of death.
- With Hot Shot, Axiom's accelspiker can make mincemeat of just about anything.
- On feat turn, the Prime Axiom can dish out 12 attacks in one activation. With flare support, the axiom can crush half the opponent's forces with ease or conduct surprise caster-kills.
- Prime Axiom is a good way to start off his synergy chain, yet sometimes he prefer to max out his synergy by charging lighter vectors like Cipher. With a capped synergy axiom can destroy almost anything in one turn.
- On feat turn, the Axiom can two-handed throw a model at something to knock it down, make ranged attacks against the knocked down target, and if you dragged the target to you successfully, it can buy additional melee attacks. But good luck actually having anything to punch after that onslaught.
- Shooting vectors, such as Assimilators, Monitors or Ciphers are his favorite vectors. Syntherion is tied with several casters for the highest base RAT in CoC (although Orion and the Iron Mother both have ways to improve this) making him helpful for many powerful ranged attacks. Ranged vectors get to take full advantage of his feat too, basically getting a free initial.
- The Corollary if you have no other target worth empowering at least this is a free way to store focus for later, it also benefits from the feat change and is cheap enough to throw into the fight to stack synergy if needed.
- The Galvanizer is a cheap jack to run up the Synergy chain.
- The Diffuser adds both shooting and threat ranges for his charges.
- Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex helps him get magnetic hold onto a key unit without putting him too far forward. Syntherion also likes to have a large number of melee Vectors charging in and taking advantage of Synergy, so having the induction range increase from ADOs makes it easier for Vectors that have charged forwards to still be able to induct a full load of Focus back to the next Vector in line to dive in.
First Seven Purchases
A few veteran players have put their heads together and tried to figure out the seven best things to buy for this specific caster. This is not designed to add up to a nice round points limit, nor be balanced vs other "First Seven" lists you find on this website. It is simply going to give you some of the essentials this caster needs most of the time.
- to 4. Any four heavy warjacks except the Modulator or Conservator
So any four of: Assimilator, Cipher, Inverter, and/or Monitor
Alternatively, you could swap the 2 of the heavies for a Prime Axiom
Trivia & Lore
- Released in Forces of Warmachine: Convergence of Cyriss (2013)
- For Lore, refer to Lore - Convergence characters
Video Battle Reports
- 2018.03 House of Dice, vs Testament
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Other Convergence models
|Convergence Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
Accretion Servitors - Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - Attunement Servitors - Destructotron 3000 - Elimination Servitors - Enigma Foundry - Frustum Locus - J.A.I.M.s - Prefect Hypatia - Reflex Servitors - Steelsoul Protector
|Clockwork Legions - Destruction Initiative - Strange Bedfellows|
|This index was last updated: 2020.08|
Rules Clarification : Feat: Technological Superiority