Elara, Tyro of the Third Chamber
| Elara, Tyro of the Third Chamber |
Elara, Tyro of the Third Chamber, has been forged into the perfect instrument for the Retribution of Scyrah's war against human arcanists. She stands prepared to face any danger in service to the Retribution. As she darts from foe to foe, each kill imbues her myrmidons with power they in turn unleash against key targets.
- Battlegroup Controller - (1) This model is not a warcaster (it's a solo) but has the following warcaster special rules: Battlegroup Commander, Focus Manipulation, Power Field, and Spellcaster. (2) This model must have at least one warjack in its battlegroup at the start of the game.
- Parry - This model cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Apparition - During your Control Phase, place this model anywhere completely within 2" of its current location.
- Side Step - When this model hits an enemy model with an initial melee attack or a melee special attack, it can advance up to 2" after the attack is resolved.
- Sickle (x2) - 0.5" reach, P+S 10 melee weapons
|When Convection destroys a living enemy model, you can give 1 focus point to a warjack in the spellcaster's balttlegroup that is in its control range.|
| Speed of Death
|When a model in Elara's battlegroup hits one or more enemy models with a melee or ranged attack during its activation while in her control range, at the end of its activation the attacking model can make a full advance that ignores free strikes.|
2018.09 Retribution Legacy CID
- Added to the Forges of War theme force
Thoughts on Elara1
Elara1 in a nutshell
Like the other junior warcasters, she can either act as a simple focus battery to let you put more jacks in your list without straining your main warcaster's focus pool, or you can build something interesting with her spell list.
Speed of Death is useful, but Convection is not. Simply because an offensive spell on a FOC 4 caster is bad. Although there's something to be said about janky tricks with Rahn's feat, or Issyria's for janky tricks
- It wants to shoot its gun and remain safe. Being able to back up with Speed of Death is very useful.
- A common package is Elara with two gorgons. One focus for each Gorgon giving them fully a boosted shot, one focus to upkeep speed of death, and one to camp for protection. This package is especially good against lists that have a lot of heavies.
- Discordia (Forges of War)
- An accurate and powerful spray plus what amounts to a Refuge or Sprint move makes Discordia scary against infantry and spellslingers.
- Moros (Shadows of the Retribution)
- Under Speed of Death he can use his short range gun to paralyse something, then back away (similar to the Gorgon). He is also costed just right; figure you spend 60 points on mage hunter models for the 3 free cards, which leaves you 15 points for jacks. Moros cost 11 leaves you with exactly enough points for another solo or for upgrading a jack.
- Rahn1's Feat makes her Convection spell half decent.
- Issyria1's feat and/or Blinding Light spell make her Convection spell more accurate.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Even though she has the best defensive stats overall for a journeyman warcaster, Elara is still fragile and there is always the risk your jack would go inert if she is killed.
- As with all Journeyman WarCasters her low FOC stat makes hitting with Convection difficult.
Tricks & Tips
- Speed of Death doesn't have the "And then its activation ends" clause which means you can still use "at any time" abilities after the movement. ie you can cast more spells.
- Elara is one of the Journeyman Warcasters released as part of the WARMACHINE: Tactics videogame Kickstarter (2014)
- There was a limited edition sculpt available for backers. There is now a non-limited sculpt for general purchase.
- Her rules were re-published in the Warmachine: Vengeance expansion (2014)
Other Retribution models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)