Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
|Are you stuck at home wishing you could play Warmachine & Hordes? |
Why not check out the new fan-made War Table simulator?
| Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios |
Loyal only to her own convictions, the Mage Hunter character sells her sword and crossbow to any army that provides an opportunity to eliminate a Warcaster from her world.
- Mercenary - This model will work for Cygnar, Khador, Protectorate, or as a Retribution.
- Partisan [Retribution of Scyrah] - When included in a Retribution of Scyrah army, this model/unit is a Retribution of Scyrah model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Crossbow - 12" range, POW 10 ranged attack
- Damage Type: Magical
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Deadly Shot - Instead of making a damage roll to resolve an attack with this weapon, you can choose to have a model hit by this weapon suffer 3 damage points instead. A model disabled by this attack cannot make a Tough roll.
- Disruptor Bolt - A model hit loses all focus and fury points. A model with the Focus Manipulation special rule that is hit does not replenish focus points next turn. A warjack hit suffers Disruption.
- Phantom Seeker - This model ignores LOS, concealment, and cover when making ranged attacks.
- Bayonet - 0.5" reach, P+S 6 melee attack
- Damage Type: Magical - As above.
- Saber - 0.5" reach, P+S 7 melee attack
- Damage Type: Magical - As above.
- As a Mercenary model she can go in every Retribution theme, but most of the time she'll use your "Up to one Mercenary solo" slot.
- Defenders of Ios. Eiryss gains Reposition  in this theme.
- Forges of War
- Legions of Dawn
- Shadows of the Retribution. She doesn't use up your Merc slot in this theme. Also she gains "optional Take Down" in this theme.
- Other Factions
- As a Mercenary model she can go in a bunch of themes for other Factions. Refer to #Other Theme Forces.
Thoughts on Eiryss1
Eiryss1 in a nutshell
She's a ranged combat solo of extreme quality; she brings good damage output, board control, and utility.
Her Disruptor Bolt ends games if you get it on an enemy caster, and also keeps warjacks in check. Death Bolt is a handy finishing move that also lets her kill high ARM infantry despite her POW 10 crossbow. Phantom Seeker lets her shoot those hard to reach solos who think they're safe. Almost every turn, she will be doing something useful.
She can be taken as a free option in every Mercenary and Retribution theme force she is allowed in, and will often be the first choice for the free slot because of her capabilities.
Combos & Synergies
- Snipe, Deadeye, Fortune and Fire For Effect are particularly useful on her. Any Merc or Ret caster with one or more of those spells will appreciate her.
- In a Mercenaries Soldiers of Fortune list the Steelhead Ironhead gives her 2" of extra threat range, which is excellent for catching enemy casters who thought they were safe.
- When taken in a Retribution Defenders of Ios theme force, she gains Reposition [3"].
- When taken in a Retribution Shadows of the Retribution theme force, she doesn't use up your "Up to one Mercenary solo" slot.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Shield Guard stops her. If the enemy keeps a single shield guard back to protect their caster she's almost neutralised until you remove said guardian.
- She costs as much as a Talon and more than a Buccaneer but has nowhere near the resilience or damage potential of a light warjack.
Tricks & Tips
- Don't let her get too far forward, unless you like seeing her die.
- By placing her opposite the enemy caster, she can dictate where that caster feels 'safe' moving to.
- While only warjacks suffer disruption, Disruptor Bolt can still be useful against hordes factions. Stripping fury from hordes beasts can be useful to force the enemy warlock to cut, or to prevent them from reaving fury.
- Keep an eye out for other models that store fury or focus such as the krielstone bearer, celestial fulcrum, forsaken, corollary, hydra, or cephalyx monstrosities.
- Released way back in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- Eiryss has a super limited edition sculpt, where players had to collect stubs from three No Quarter magazines published in the early 2000s and post them to PP to claim the sculpt.
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Other Faction models
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
|Which Faction am I?
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)