Doom Reaver Swordsmen
|We have 1225 articles and 88% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Locke (1 year review)||Suppresor (1 year review)||Fire of Salvation (1 year review)||Severius0 (1 year review)|
The Doom Reavers are convicts chained to infamous Orgoth weapons, the gibbering Fellblades. These swords whisper constantly to their wielders, turning them from ordinary crooks into insatiable engines of destruction. Doom Reavers terrorize the battlefield and mow through enemy models like weed whackers through grass.
Only the most courageous of Greylords are chosen to accompany the barbarous Doom Reavers into battle. These escorts are invariably experts in the field of Orgoth studies as well as formidable arcanists. Moving amidst the Doom Reavers like a handler of vicious beasts, the Greylord carries a staff of Orgoth origin. His will is exerted through this dark artifact, restraining the Doomreavers from murdering one another when they rip into the enemy. He channels that rage to provide a necromantic imperviousness to the effects of injuries. Gaping wounds close of their own accord as the Orgoth weapons chatter obscenely amongst themselves.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Doom Reaver Swordsmen
- 3 Other
Special Order Model
International distributors can still access the entire catalog of models.
|Doom Reaver Swordsmen|
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Spell Ward - This model cannot be targeted by spells.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Berserk - When this model destroys one or more models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately after the attack is resolved it must make one additional melee attack against another model in its melee range.
- Fellblade - 2" reach, POW 5, P+S 12 melee attack
- Advance Deployment
- Spell Ward
- Greylord - This model is a Greylord model. However, the unit remains a Doom Reaver unit.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Combat Caster - When this model's unit receives the Press Forward order, before its Normal Movement, this model can make one Magical Ability special action or special attack. It can then run or charge normally.
- Granted: Silence - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Silence. (Silence - This model doesn't have to make additional attacks due to Berserk.)
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast a single spell.
- Sacrificial Pawn [Doom Reaver] - When this model is directly hit by an enemy ranged attack, you can have one friendly, non-incorporeal Doom Reaver model within 3" of it hit instead. That model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects.
- Orgoth Staff - 2" reach, P+S 10 melee attack
| Death Strider
|Models in this unit gain Relentless Charge for this activation.|
| Fell Curse
|While within 5˝ of this model, enemy models lose Tough and cannot have damage removed from them. Fell Curse lasts for one round.|
|(★ Attack)||8" Spray||-||12 (Cold)||-||Yes|
|This spell deals Cold Damage.|
- Other Factions
2019.01 Cornucopia Errata
- Reavers went down to 10 points (from 13)
- Escort got buffs:
Thoughts on Doom Reaver Swordsmen
Doom Reaver Swordsmen in a nutshell
Doom Reavers are your hammer, when it comes to striking at the enemy lines. They cannot directly be buffed by spells, but their raw damage output, plus the fact, that enemy spells will rarely harm them provide an adequate compensation.
Equally adept at damaging high ARM targets, and mulching infantry screen thanks to Berserk, they are rightully feared, even by the strongest gunlines and the best armoured brawlers. AD + Tough assures them reaching the front fast and intact, while their UA now mainly helps them to get the job done, even after getting knocked down by a Tough check.
Thoughts on the CA
The CA is quite a helpful tool that adds Relentless Charge and quasi Grievous Wounds (situationally better as it applies to colossals!) to the unit, both of which are excellent on the Reavers. It is quite common to field two units of Reavers with CA and then 2-3 units without, as he's not 100% required, since the GW bubble works on models outside of his unit too and not every unit will encounter terrain problems, depending on how the battlefield is layed out.
It also synergises heavily with the Koldun Lord, which grants him Battle Wizard, which makes it so he can cast a spell, Press Forward, charge kill something, and then cast again.
Combos & Synergies
- Sorcha1's feat will set up nice, stationary targets, while Fog of War helps against early shooting.
- All of Vlad's incarnations can push their threats on the double.
- Vlad1 gives Signs & Portents
- Vlad2 is all about his feat, and a MAT10 SPD9 Doomie is not to be taken lightly. Especially not D3+3 of them.
- Vlad3 can give them some extra speed and surprising attack vectors with Dash, so you can dig deep into the enemy lines, before start slicing them up. Wind Wall will also protect them from shooting, if you can place them close enough.
- Irusk1 - It is impressive what Khador's premiere infantry caster can provide the fraction's deadliest troops with. Battle Plans for pathfinder. 4+ tough under his feat with no knockdown, paired with a MAT that rivals the Butcher's. Cover and tactician on Irusk2, as well as Solid Ground for some good old MK2-style Tough roll. And that is before counting the de-buffs for their targets.
- Butcher2's token gathering feat can be utterly devastating. You can accumulate it from the kills of other units, such as the Widowmakers, or you can charge in, kill a few infantry, and get the token-train going. Few thing is as scary, as a charging Doomie with boosted attack roll and 4D6 on the damage roll... Maybe only a charging Doomie with 5D6 under Butcher1's feat.
- Malakov2 can use his battle plans to buff them (as they're not spells), handing out prowl or allowing one to knock down a hard target for the rest to mulch with ease.
- Saxon Orrik - They are advance deploying troops, they like to be in the front, they live to charge, and they lack Pathfinder without their UA.
- Fenris - Despite the hefty price tag, he can keep pace with the running units, and hands them a useful rise aura.
- The usual mercenary suspects (Aiyana, Gorman, Ragman) help them to cause even greater carnage, while Eiryss2 can remove annoying DEF buffs to make their hits connect. Keep in mind that you'll need Valachev to make Aiyana a friendly faction unit to benefit from Kiss.
- Greylord Ternion - They can serve as a recursion engine to bring the Reavers back with Bonds of Woe. In addition, they can set up targets with Ice Cage, and provide cloud cover using Blizzard.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They're a special order model.
- Average DEF and ARM without the opportunity of boosting them directly with spells. Blast damages will likely trigger a tough check.
- Enemies rightfully fear them, placing them high on the target list.
Tricks & Tips
- Just because they cannot directly be targeted by spells, doesn't mean they cannot benefit from them. Spells like Signs and Portents or Fog of War will boost Doom Reavers without actually targeting them.
- That goes the other way around too. Watch out for chaff/flanking units, who might run up as a target for the spells, just so your Doom Reavers can be damaged by sprays / AoEs / electro leaps.
- Watch out for RFP effects and attacks, as well as Grievous Wounds and Snipers. If the enemy has any of them, you can be sure it will target the Doom Reavers.
- The CA can Sac Pawn to Reavers that are in other units.
- The unit (not including CA) was released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- The CA was released in Forces of Warmachine: Khador (March 2010)
- The Grunts have a limited edition sculpt, released in Lock n Load 2019.02(ish).
- The CA have a limited edition sculpt, released in 2019.05.
Other Khador models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
From here down, the terms Sacrificial Pawn, Grim Salvation, and Sucker! are interchangeable
Note to Editors