Dire Troll Brawler
|We have 1356 articles and 93% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Dire Troll Brawler |
Dire Troll Brawlers go to battle wielding oversized flails made from stout iron chain and scavenged scrap metal. Bellowing primitive war cries, brawlers hurl themselves at any opponent, swinging these chains in sweeping, unpredictable arcs. What these trolls lack in intelligence they compensate for with raw delight in brutal combat and laying their opponents low.
|Dire Troll Brawler|
Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good. Click here for a newbie-friendly recap, or click here for the full rules.
- Immunity: Cold
- Regeneration [d3] - This model can be forced to remove d3 damage points once per activation. This model cannot use Regeneration during an activation it runs.
- Snacking - When this model boxes a living model with a melee attack, it can choose to RFP the boxed model. When it does, this model can remove d3 damage points.
|The spellcaster gains Retaliatory Strike. Ornery lasts for one round but expires after the spellcaster makes a Retaliatory Strike attack.
2020.11 Vengeance of Dhunia CID
- Gained Beat Back
Thoughts on Dire Troll Brawler
Dire Troll Brawler in a nutshell
A beatstick heavy. Its schtick is bringing two weapons, both with base P+S 17 and 2" reach. It's the hardest hitting non-character trollblood heavy and, thanks to having weapons, has the longest melee threat range of the dire trolls. By being Northkin it also gets a lot of passive buffs that a Dire Troll Mauler wouldn’t get outside of Borka2.
It’s update in the Vengeance of Dhunia CID gave it beat back - this didn’t change its role on the battlefield but it does make it deceptively mobile once battle lines are joined.
Combos & Synergies
- Any strength or MAT buff like the Hearthgut Hooch Hauler and the Mauler's animus
- Rush from the Axer gives it Pathfinder and a total threat range of 12 inches, and there are multiple ways to extend that even further, like the Northkin Elder.
- Borka, Vengeance of the Rimeshaws really loves a troll heavy with a reach weapon to counter-charge.
- Madrak2 this is mostly for the feat but relentless charge is also handy and Ornery may be worth casting on Rathrok
- Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster Pathfinder and steady are great on a cold immune heavy beast as it means there are even fewer ways to stop it moving up the field. Digging it in also helps to deliver it and his feat is also very strong for negating damage.
- Note that Beat Back only triggers during your Combat Action so doesn't stack with the animus.
- Another is Hoarluk Doomshaper, Dire Prophet. His feat also helps with survivability and attack rolls. His Scroll of the Call of Troqal means that a Mauler can cast Rage on the Brawler for free, then the Brawler can cast Ornery on itself for free after it is done attacking.
- It's the only Northkin non-character heavy, meaning that spells can be upkept for free on it in the Storm of the North theme and given speed via the Krielstone Bearer with the Northkin attachment option.
- Stone Scribe Chronicler - It's the only non character heavy with a 2" melee range, meaning it can set up infantry to benefit from the Chronicler's Charge of the Trolls story very effectively.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- If you want a plain and simple beatstick, it has not much downsides to talk about.
- Usually it loses out on the Mauler getting into the lists due to its animus being less useful than Rage, or the Earthborn Dire Troll which is 2 points cheaper but also a great first-wave heavy and buff platform.
Tricks & Tips
The Brawler really is a pretty simple beatstick that has reach weapons. Simple, effective, and to the point. And not as fury intensive as a Mauler.
- Released in the Northkin expansion (2017.07)
- It has a longer fluff blurb on PP's "extras" page.
Other Trollblood models
|See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.