|We have 1159 articles and 85% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
Faith alone is insufficient to protect the faithful. Thus, the Devout was built to guard the Protectorate’s leaders from heretics and engraved with holy inscriptions to protect its controller from accursed magic. The Dervish, on the other hand, is a divinely inspired weapon that uses its chassis’ unparalleled reflexes wholly for offense. The Purifier, crafted as a literal interpretation of wrathful scripture, has a singular drive to eradicate unbelief through the cleansing fires of the Creator.
- Shield - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee attack.
- Shield - This weapon is a shield that gives the model a cumulative +2 ARM bonus. A model does not gain this bonus while the weapon system with the shield is crippled or when resolving damage that originates in its back arc.
- Pole Axe - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee attack.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Defensive Strike - Once per turn, when an enemy enters and ends their movement in this model's melee range, it may make one basic melee attack against it.
- Shield Guard - Once per round, when a friendly model is directly hit by a non-spray ranged attack during your opponent's turn while within 3" of this model, you can choose to have this model directly hit instead. This model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects. This model cannot use Shield Guard while it is incorporeal, knocked down, or stationary.
- Spell Barrier - While this model is B2B with its battlegroup controller, its battlegroup controller cannot be targeted by enemy spells.
2018.05 Exemplar CID
- Wording of Spell Barrier changed so it'll affect non-warcasters.
Thoughts on Devout
Devout in a nutshell
The Devout is a protector - between Shield Guard, Spell Ward, and Defensive Strike it stands between your caster and the enemy and helps prevent them making it through.
Combos & Synergies
- Harbinger of Menoth - that parade float is a big target (see also both versions of Reznik)
- In Guardians of the Temple it's this or the Templar if you want a shield guard.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Spell assassination enemies can pull the Devout, eliminating the spell barrier.
- It's an expensive shield guard. The enemy can attrition against you by simply ignoring it if they weren't planning to assassinate.
- If you just want a shield guard for a couple of shots, High Paladin Dartan Vilmon is significantly cheaper and Visgoth Juviah Rhoven & Honor Guard costs the same but is a pair of shield guards with some utility.
- Being in base to base with your caster means that it's vulnerable to boosted blast damage.
Tricks & Tips
Be on the look out for ways to use Defensive Strike like putting a Devout behind small base units to get a free melee attack on models that engage.
Originally released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
Themes for non-character warjacks (Edit)
- The Creator's Might - (Article) (Category)
- Exemplar Interdiction - (Article) (Category)
- The Faithful Masses - (Article) (Category)
- Guardians of the Temple - (Article) (Category)
Other Protectorate models