|We have 1198 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Feora2 (theme thoughts)||Imperatus (Dawnguard and non-vyros combos)|
| Defender |
The Cygnaran Armory takes pride in its innovation and technological superiority, traits seen in all the battle-tested warjacks built on the classic Ironclad chassis. The Defender employs its long, heavy barrel cannon for unprecedented long-range and accurate firepower without sacrificing its effectiveness in melee.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Heavy Barrel - 16" range, POW 15 gun.
- Shock Hammer - 1" reach, P+S 17 melee weapon
- Cortex Damage - When a warjack is hit by this weapon, it suffers 1 damage point to its first available Cortex system box.
- Heavy Metal
- Sons of the Tempest
- Storm Division. Defenders gains Immunity: Electricity in this theme.
Thoughts on Defender
Defender in a nutshell
The Defender is heavy jack, boasting a high-powered gun with near-unparalleled range, and a melee weapon, which is quite dangerous with its cortex damage. This jack almost always ends up compared to the Hunter, Cygnar's other long-range jack:
|16 points||10 points|
| 16" aiming
| 14" aiming |
| RAT 6
But can aim more often due to longer range
|Better against targets under natural ARM 18 and who have additional ARM protection (Shield, Buckler, spells, etc.)||Better against targets with natural ARM 18 and above|
| MAT 7
9" melee threat
Good against heavy targets
| MAT 6 |
10" melee threat
Only useful against light/medium single wound infantries and light solos.
| DEF 12
| DEF 14 |
|(Edit this comparison)|
Overall, the Defender is much more resilient, and better at dealing damage against targets with ablative protection (Buckler, Shield, spells, etc), while the Hunter is good against naturally high ARM targets. The Hunter beats the Defender in mobility, and flexibility in positioning, but cannot compete with it in melee. Superior range in SR2017 scenarios is a debatable advantage due to the increased number of terrain pieces.
Combos & Synergies
- Heavy Metal - This theme offers extended deployment zone, enabling you to to lob shells up to half of the board from turn 1.
- Long Gunners - The Defender's shot is the best quality firepower in Cygnar's arsenal barring the colossi. It is a frustrating scenario, if it gets intercepted by a shield guarding Servitor in a Destruction Initiative, or saved by an eligible Sac Pawn / Sucker! infantry. Clear off them with Long Gunners, then let the Heavy Barrel sing.
- Kraye - The Defender is prone to be jammed by cheap infantry to negate its gun. Between Admonition and Iron Horse it becomes anything but easy. With the boosted mobility the Defender often gets to use its powerful hammer too, beating light beasts and jacks into submission, and frying the cortices of the heavies.
- Siege1 really likes strong, long range shooting, but a 2 pts upgrade for Triumph is usually a no-brainer choice with him.
- Sloan - Her battlegroup usually includes one, or even 2 of these. Fire Group makes their threat range extremely long and Guided Fire keeps them very accurate regardless (and you don't even have to risk putting a 2nd focus on them outside of feat turn).
- Caine3 - Caine likes jacks with more shots to his feat, but sometimes all you need is a POW 18-20 shot to finish off your enemy.
- Journeyman Warcaster - You don't have to worry about your lousy CTRL range, if you can stay way back from the frontline.
- Gravediggers - Most of the Trencher lists lack serious armor cracking capabilities. The Defender is an ideal solution for that.
- Rangers - Whenever you play Gravediggers, bring them - an effective RAT8 ensures that very few target will escape.
- Sons of the Tempest - If your caster lacks Snipe, or just want to spent it elsewhere, put the Defender under the care of an ATGM Officer. You have the option for a RNG 20" POW 17 shot between Snipe and Take Aim! To really make that count. Add in Falk and Strangewayes' Empower to the mix, and now we're talking about a boostable POW 19 shot.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- On the expensive side - you pay for both its excellent gun, and its close combat prowess, even if you don't use both of them..
Tricks & Tips
- Remember that every swing of the Defender's hammer is more accurate and harder hitting than the main gun - and that three hits means that an enemy warjack is almost unable to fight back. The Defender is a melee heavy that uses its gun to soften the enemy up not the purely ranged heavy people think it is.
- Released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
Other Cygnar models