|We have 1325 articles and 89% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
Dawnguard sentinels charge into the enemy as an overwhelming tide of cleaving blades. These heavily armored knights use their great swords to expertly carve through any adversary willing to stand against them. Sentinels embody sheer determination made tangible in flesh and steel and consider themselves guardians of the ideals of the Dawnguard.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Dawnguard Sentinels
- 3 Other
- Entire Unit
- Vengeance - During your Maintenance Phase, if one or more models in a unit with Vengeance were damaged by enemy attacks during the last round, each model in the unit can advance 3" and make one basic melee attack.
- Wall of Steel - While this model is B2B with one or more models in its unit, it gains +2 ARM.
- Officer only
- He has +1 MAT and 5 hitpoints
- Iron Zeal [ Minifeat ] - This model can use Iron Zeal once per game at any time during the unit's activation. Models in this unit gain +3 ARM and cannot become stationary or knocked down. Models are not affected while out of formation. Iron Zeal lasts for one round.
- Tactics: Relentless Charge - Models in this unit gain Relentless Charge. (Relentless Charge - While advancing as part of a charge, this model gains Pathfinder.)
- Standard only
- Standard Bearer - While this model is within 5" of its unit commander, the unit commander gains +2 CMD.
- Take Up - If this model is destroyed, you can choose a Grunt in this unit within 1" of it to be destroyed instead. Effects on this model expire, and it gains the effects on the chosen Grunt. Remove the Grunt from the table instead of this model. This model has the same number of unmarked damage boxes as the chosen Grunt.
- Leader, Grunts, & Officer
- Great Sword - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Standard Bearer
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
Sentinels may have up to 3 Soulless Escorts added to them. His info has been omitted from this article for brevity.
Thoughts on Dawnguard Sentinels
Dawnguard Sentinels in a nutshell
These guys are your expensive tank infantry, they can be taken out if hit right but when they get to where they are going they make sure you remember. All in all they are a basic armor unit who specialize in being their own delivery system with wall of steel and iron zeal, and when they get to where they are going weapon master coupled with high MAT mean a few models just got sliced in half.
Thoughts on adding the CA
Since the Officer amends two of the most important issues with assault troops (Pathfinder during charges and extra ARM in a crucial turn, while advancing toward the enemy), their attachment is kind of mandatory.
Combos & Synergies
Any caster that can increase their ability to get to where they're going is good, plus there are a few other good options that are non-caster that make great combinations.
- Helynna is a fantastic with her Deceleration spell to assure that the Dawnguard can safely make it across the board (taken to absurd levels with her feat). This is shared with Vyros2 who also brings his Veteran Leader ability to bring their MAT to truly elite levels.
- Issyria and Vyros1 both have have Inviolable Resolve which makes the Sentinels unmovable jerks who spit in your opponents face and proceed to paint their white armour red with their blood.
- Goreshade4 also buffs their ARM considerably with Dauntless Resolve, which also makes them Tough.
- Lys Healers grant them knock down immunity, which is potent under Dauntless Resolve and also prevent their souls from being stolen, which is great for his feat.
- Discordia is yet another delivery vessel of armored goodness. Discordia's imprint gives armor against shooting so just keep him around and you will have some scary support with your troops.
- Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen is great to keep around these valiant warriors he gives them Shield Guard to protect at least from one shot, and if by chance a pew goes through and take out one of your sentinels then Righteous Fury kicks in and the angry knight gets sweet, sweet revenge!
- House Shyeel Artificer is good against shooting and blasts just like Discordia but he serves to increase defense with Force Wall which gives Force Barrier to all models nearby. Even though you might not get blasted you can still get caught on fire so be careful against Menoth.
- Dawnguard Sentinel Scyir is useful to have around for Tactician, which means they'll never get in their way for charges or making Vengeance moves. He, and his jack, also get their own Vengeance move and attack if one of the unit dies close by.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Even at SPD 5 they can be slow to get to where they need to go. Spells like Issyria's Crusader's Call and Elara2's feat can help with this when it's time to make an alpha-strike.
- As all high-ARM single-wound targets, they are vulnerable to effects that cause fixed damage irrespective of ARM (Sniper, Corrosion, Puncture, Anatomic Precision, etc.)
Tricks & Tips
- Keeping them in the triples arrow head formation to better keep their armor bonus is great, but there is a better option. Keeping most units spread out to prevent AOE blasts and corrosion is key so remember your mini feat. So turn one move out, turn two mini feat and turn three slice and dice.
- If you have to, leave one or two guys a bit further up as a sacrifice with a purpose. This tactic has two purposes, one you have a weapon master with decent range up close so they can block charge lanes or make your opponent deal with them before they get closer. Two dying, let them die (or attack if left alone) and you will have triggered Vengeance giving the unit a free three inch move and attack before your turn really begins.
- This can be supplemented if you have a point left over at list build: adding a Soulless Escort provides another such body for much cheaper than the regular Sentinel grunt, still contributes to triggering Vengeance with his death and also helps out against spellcasters early game (mid/late game, not so useful since everything will be quite close in by then, so you don't mind the SE's passing so much!).
- Couple them with things that increase armor or prevents blast damage (Artificer or Discordia) POW 10 can take them out pretty easy unless buffed so just remember to keep them safe.
- The Standard Bearer will benefit from the Vengeance move, if not the free attack.
- Watch out for abilities and spells, that can be triggered by Vengeance moves - most commonly Admonition, Counterblast, Counter Charge, Watcher/Guardian Beast.
Released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
Other Retribution models
Note to Editors