Theme - Dark Menagerie
| Theme - Dark Menagerie |
Each of the Defiers has some special preference for how to unmake Menoth’s twisted civilization. When the opportunity to strike arises, a Defier gathers a dark menagerie of his or her worst nightmares in a terrifying show of force. Towering beasts of twisted flesh and bounding swarms of frightful creatures gather together to enact the Defier’s will, leaving behind only a handful of demented survivors to spread word of the host of shadows that emerged from the night.
Rules subject to change.
This is a existing model/theme, and the information here is the rules it had before the CID cycle.
If you wish to document the CID changes before they're finalised, please do so under the Recent Changes heading only.
An army made use the Dark Menagerie theme force can include only the following Grmykin models:
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2019.01 (Edit)
- Baron Tonguelick, Lord of Warts - (Warlock Attachment)
- Glimmer Imp
- Gremlin Swarm
- Lady Karianna Rose
- You may also include one Minion solo and one Minion unit that will work for Grymkin.
- These models can be included even if they have the Partisan [Grymkin] rule.
- Minion units in this army can include attachments, including a Ranking Officer
- The FA of Gremlin Swarms becomes 4 (instead of 2)
- For every full 15 points of warbeasts, you can add free of cost either:
- one Crabit, or
- one Gremlin Swarm
- Free Crabits do not count toward the total point value of warbeasts when calculating this bonus.
- Note that in Steamroller events, your opponent only scores army points for every 2 crabits they kill; ergo an odd number of Crabits (or just 1) are a point disadvantage for your opponent.
- Gremlin Swarms gain Serenity.
- Serenity - At the beginning of your Control Phase, before leeching, you can remove 1 fury point from a friendly Faction warbeast within 1" of this model.
- Each non-trooper model in this army that can gain corpse tokens begins with one corpse token.
2018.11 Cornucopia CID
- Beta rules for Clockatrice released
2019.01 Grymkin Wave 2 CID
- Beta rules for 5 new Grymkin model/units released, 2 of which go in this theme
- Baron Tonguelick, Lord of Warts
- Malady Man
Thoughts on this Dark Menagerie
Please feel free to update the article and remove this warning.
Dark Menagerie in a nutshell
Dark Menagerie is the beast theme of the Grymkin and rewards you for taking battlegroup models and the death knell.
The primary way to play Dark Menagerie is a very powerful beast brick where the backbone is formed by cage ragers and skin and moans, both of which benefit a lot from the corpse they recieve as a theme benefit.
Very notably while being a slow brick theme it has a way of mitigating the standard weakness of slow bricks. Gremlin swarms which are free in theme and assist in fury management are able to contest extremely well which allow you to play a slower list and not lose scenario.
with a very tough brick, that has excellent contesting models Dark Menagerie is hard to beat in attrition, has excellent denial tech through Arcana, Wraithbane on Cage Ragers and Arcane vortex, and your caster benefits from all of this tech making many assassinations simply untenable.
Without any exception, all grymkin warlocks are playable in this theme and have compelling synergies.
Dark Menagerie is the staple themeforce of the grymkin and is considered extremely competitive. It alone propels them to being very powerful in the current meta. Almost any of their casters can be highly succesful in this theme force.
List building tips
- Cage Ragers and Skin & Moans form the backbone of the theme and there is essentially no reason to not bring at least one of these models
- All warlocks are viable in this theme, However they will have a different composition.
- The King of Nothing can play a radically different style where he focuses on the factions light warbeasts and turns them up to 11. He's an extremely odd caster with a very high skill cap.
- All three of the light warbeasts have a place. Rattlers are dedicated anti infantry and with enough buffs can threaten weaker heavies. Gorehounds are powerful skirmishers using their mobility to scalpel out key models, kill infantry, or just jam. Frightmares have the true sight animus and are usually brought when its important such as on the old witch or the king of nothing.
- Crabbits are one of the best lesser warbeasts in the game and are brought to improve your match into not just guns, but key guns with effects such as a drag gun.
- Death Knell is not mandatory, but is a very strong piece. Expect to see it with the majority of casters in this theme unless they have strong delivery tech that compensates for the lack of the knell such as Old Witch 3.
- Dread Rots are not usually brought in force, but its not uncommon to see a minimum unit who can screen, do some work, and become corpses for the Death Knell.
Starting a 25 point list
Other Grymkin models
|Grymkin Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Battle Engines||Death Knell|
|Dark Menagerie - Bump in the Night||Eilish Garrity, the Occultist|
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Benefits for a single model/unit (eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Number of free models [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Slaughter Fleet Raiders [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]