Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
|As of 2022.08 Warmachine University has turned into an archive for Mk3 rules (3rd Edition).|
Refer to the Privateer Press website for all modern Mk4 (4th Edition) related content.
This site has been kept online for any players who want to continue using Mk3 rules and/or anyone who wants to compare Mk4 Legacy models to Mk3 models.
More information can be found on the Talk:Main Page area of this wiki.
| Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters |
Mark IV Status: Mixed - How usable this model is in Mk IV depends on the Faction:
You can view the Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
After fleeing the blighted terror that consumed her homeland, Cylena Raefyll leads a strong band of fanatically loyal warriors against her despised foes. The skilled hunters of the Raefyll tribe are expert stalkers capable of unleashing withering fire from their compound bows and deadly harm from their elegantly curved Nyss claymores.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
- 3 Other
- Partisan [ Retribution ] - When included in a Retribution army, this model/unit is a Retribution model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Cylena only
- As a Mercenary unit, the Nyss Hunters can go in every Retribution theme. However, they will use up your "Up to one Merc unit" slot (most of the time).
- Defenders of Ios. They don't use up your Merc slot in this theme.
- Forges of War
- Legions of Dawn
- Shadows of the Retribution. They gain optional Take Down in this theme.
- Other Factions
- Mercenary/Minion models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
Thoughts on Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters in a nutshell
The Nyss Hunters do a little bit of everything, though none of it exceptionally well. They're above average melee combatants, and decent at range, mobile with a longer threat range than most things, hard to hit as units go. They are ideal for taking out enemy units in cover or concealment. Unless you can buff MAT or STR, you'll be cursing MAT 6 and/or POW 9 when it's time to send them into melee. Also they die to every blast that gets near them.
Many players considered them to be better in Retribution than in Mercenaries or minions due to dedicated support solos (Prist of Nyssor, Artificer) pre-2021.02. Now with a points decrease and many supporting Riot Quest solos (Gudrun2, Boomy2 or 3) the might win back a place in merc and minion lists.
Combos & Synergies
- Falcir the Merciless - She provides them with a blanket +2/+2 on feat turn with Prey Upon, as well as re-rolls for damage rolls with Execute. Falter Courage and Confuse help deliver them and win battles at range. Flashing Steel also lets them hit twice a turn in melle, which is amazing on a 10-man weapon master unit.
- Kaelyssa, Night's Whisper covers their weaknesses with her feat and Blur.
- Ossyan has a bevvy of upkeeps they all appreciate and a feat that makes their bows more powerful
- Aelyth Vyr, Blade of Nyssor and the Priest of Nyssor are their designated support solos among the Retribution. Aelyth is their Veteran Leader, the Priest gives them another, stackable, +1 to attack rolls
- House Shyeel Artificers give them Force Barrier, for Blast Resistance. You probably don't want to run them without this.
- They are a prime source for corpses/souls for Death/Void Archons respecively.
- Bloody Barnabas - They are quite good at triggering Warpath at a distance. You can also pop & drop targets he knocked down with his feat.
- Midas - Battlelust for 5D6 damage dice on charge is normally enough to crack armor + minions don't have that many Weapon master models.
- Boomhowler2 - He can hand out Reposition to them, letting them back away from their target after shooting.
- Boomhowler3 on the other hand has either Hoof It or +2 to hit with shout down.
- Gudrun2 packs a very important DEF buff for them.
- Durgen Madhammer - He offers protection against enemy AOEs with Force Field and can turn them into Mat 8 P+S 11 Weapon Masters with Primed, of feat they also get to charge and shoot, and the loss of armor isn't going to make a difference. The issue is that now you have exploding Nyss that you bought at a premium...
- Gorten Grundback - Solid Ground is what the doctor ordered for the squishy Nyss. No knock down and resistance to blast damage! He can also put up a nice bit of cover for them to hide behind in Rock Wall.
- When taken in the Cephalyx Theme Force, Operating Theater, they are given tough thanks to the Cephalyx Dominator they must be leashed to. Cognifex Cyphon is able to give them Blur for that sweet DEF 17 Against shooting, DEF 21 and Tough in cover can be really tough to remove. Make sure to keep the Dominator back away from harm if you don't want your 19 point unit stuck doing nothing but running on an important turn, or kill it early on if you think keeping Tough isn't worth the risk of being nullified for a round.
- Fiona the Black - Occultation gives them an actual defensive ability in Stealth and under her feat they become virtually unhittable. Curse of Veils ups their damage both at range and in melee considerably. They can also be her cultists (take that Nyssor!)
- Boomhowler2, Gudrun2 and Boomhowler3, mentioned above, are also merc models.
- Nemo4 (Merc/Cygnar) - He can bring back fallen Nyss.
- Asphyxious4 and Gabriel Throne - They offer damage buffs to their melee damage, which is pretty scary on weapon masters. Gabriel also offers tough and Gaspy has clouds so you should be able to deliver them.
- Deneghra2 - Denny2 gives various buffs to hit an damage rolls, but Cryx lack viable ranged models, so Nyss fill a niche there. As all of her debuffs are faction agnostic (as debuffs tend to be) she makes Nyss into very respectable ranged threats, who will also hit like trucks in melee, and they can still receive support from a merc solo like Boomy3 if you choose to run them.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They have victim stats and no defensive abilities to speak off. They will die easily to blast damage and other anti-infantry tech, meaning they will need support of any kind to fix their problems, which inflates their cost. Conversely you will likely bring the solos that make them better anyway.
Tricks & Tips
Use Boomhowler, Solo Artist to grant them Reposition 3". This helps them strike and fade.
- Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
- Cylena and company are regarded as being one of the most difficult-to-assembly models in the game. Tiny contact points and loads of spikey bits mean arms and legs can fall off all the time. Oh, and they've got ugly faces.
Other Theme Forces
Retribution of Scyrah (Edit)
Circle Orboros (Edit)
- Secret Masters. This theme doesn't have a limit on how many Minion units you can take.
- The Bones of Orboros
- The Devourer's Host
- The Wild Hunt
Other Faction models
|Minion Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Warlock attachments||Targ - Gatorman Soul Slave|
|Solos||Farrow||Agata, Queen of Carnage - Farrow Sapper - Maximus - Rorsh & Brine - Targ|
Barnabas0 - Bog Trog Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Bone Shrine - Croak Hunter - Flugwug the Filcher - Gatorman Husk - Gatorman Soul Slave - Gatorman Witch Doctor - Kwaak Slickspine & Gub - Longchops - Underchief Mire - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
Alten Ashley - Boomhowler2 - Boomhowler3 - Brun Cragback & Lug - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Death Archon - Dhunian Archon - Efaarit Scout - Eilish Garrity, the Occultist - Feralgeist - Flubbin1 - Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 - Flugwug the Filcher - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Gubbin1 - Gubbin2 & Dez2 - Gudrun1 - Gudrun2 - Hermit of Henge Hold - Hutchuck, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - J.A.I.M.s - Kogan the Exile - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Ledfoot & Tredz - Malvin2 - Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - Ogrun Bokur - Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - Primal Archon - Pyg Tank - Saxon Orrik - Scythe - Swamp Gobber Chef - Swamp Gobber River Raiders - Thamarite Advocate - The Wastelander - Thrullg - Totem Hunter - Tubbin - Viktor Pendrake - Void Archon - Weird Wendell
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher (Farrow) - Sacral Vault (Gatorman)|
|Independent Warjack||Malvin1 & Mayhem1|
|Minion - Theme Forces|
|Minion Faction Themes (Edit)||The Blindwater Congregation - The Thornfall Alliance - Vengeance of Dhunia - Will Work for Food|
|Unlimited Minions themes(Edit)||Disciples of Agony (Skorne) - Oracles of Annihilation (Legion) - Secret Masters (Circle)|
|This index was last updated: 2021.11|
|Retribution Index (Edit)|
|Battlegroup & Similar|
|Warcaster attachments||Fane Knight Guardian (Retribution) - Sylys Wyshnalyrr (Retribution) - Madelyn Corbeau (Mercenary)|
|Other Warjack Controllers||Elara1 (BGC) - Sentinel Scyir ('Jack Marshal) - Artificer ('Jack Marshal)|
|Light Warjacks|| Aspis - Chimera - Gorgon - Griffon - Harpy - Siren|
|Colossal||Hyperion - Helios|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
Cyelna & Nyss Hunters -
D Destors -
D Invictors -
D Sentinels -
Heavy Rifle Team -
H Halberdiers -
H Riflemen -
HE Swordsmen -
HE Wardens -
HS Arcanists -
HS Battle Mages -
HV Electromancers -
MH Infiltrators -
MH Strike Force -
Ryssovass Defenders -
Spears of Scyrah -
Aelyth Vyr - Arcanist Mechanik - D Destor Thane - D Sentinel Scyir - Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (1) - Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (2) - Eiryss, Fortune Hunter of Ios (4) - Elara, Tyro of the Third Chamber (1) - Fane Knight Guardian - Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen - Ghost Sniper - Hermit of Henge Hold - HE Warden Executioner - HS Artificer - HS Magister - Houseguard Thane - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress Lys Healer - MH Assassin - Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios - Nayl - Priest of Nyssor - Scythe - Soulless Voidtracer
|Battle Engines||Arcantrik Force Generator - Dawnguard Trident|
|Defenders of Ios - Forges of War - Legions of Dawn - Shadows of the Retribution|
|Refer to Category: Retribution of Scyrah Mercenary|
|This index was last updated: 2021.04|
|Which Faction am I?
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)