Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
|We have 1325 articles and 89% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters |
After fleeing the blighted terror that consumed her homeland, Cylena Raefyll leads a strong band of fanatically loyal warriors against her despised foes. The skilled hunters of the Raefyll tribe are expert stalkers capable of unleashing withering fire from their compound bows and deadly harm from their elegantly curved Nyss claymores.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
- 3 Other
- Mercenary - This unit will work for Cryx, Cygnar, Khador, or as a Retribution.
- Minion - This unit will work for Circle, or Trollbloods.
- Partisan [ Retribution ] - When included in a Retribution army, this model/unit is a Retribution model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Cylena only
- Entire unit
- Nyss Bow - 12" range, POW 10 ranged attack
- Nyss Claymore - 1" reach, P+S 9 melee attack
- As a Mercenary unit, the Nyss Hunters can go in every Retribution theme. However, they will use up your "Up to one Merc unit" slot (most of the time).
- Defenders of Ios. They don't use up your Merc slot in this theme.
- Forges of War
- Legions of Dawn
- Shadows of the Retribution. They gain optional Take Down in this theme.
- Other Factions
Thoughts on Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters in a nutshell
The Nyss Hunters do a little bit of everything, though none of it exceptionally well, and you pay a whopping 19 points for the versatility. They're passable melee combatants, above average at range, mobile with a longer threat range than most things, hard to hit as units go. They are ideal for taking out enemy units in cover or concealment. Unless you can buff MAT or STR, you'll be cursing MAT 6 and/or POW 9 when it's time to send them into melee. Also they die to every blast that gets near them.
Combos & Synergies
- Aelyth Vyr, Blade of Nyssor and the Priest of Nyssor are their designated support solos among the Retribution.
- Anything with a DEF buff.
- Bloody Barnabas - They are quite good at triggering Warpath at a distance. You can also pop & drop targets he knocked down with his feat.
- Midas - Battlelust for 5D6 damage dice on charge is normally enough to crack armor + minions don't have that many Weapon master models.
- Kaelyssa, Night's Whisper, often within Retribution they compete with Mage Hunter Strike Force but Kaelyssa covers their weaknesses with her feat and Blur.
- Durgen Madhammer - He offers protection against enemy AOEs with Force Field and can turn them into Mat 8 P+S 11 Weapon Masters with Primed, and the loss of armor isn't going to make a difference. The issue is that now you have exploding Nyss that you bought at a premium...
- Gorten Grundback - Solid Ground is what the doctor ordered for the squishy Nyss. No knock down and immunity to blast damage! He can also put up a nice bit of cover for them to hide behind in Rock Wall.
- Captain Jonas Murdoch gives them Assault so they can make use of both of their weapons in a turn. He also has a useful minifeat that prevents blast damage.
- House Shyeel Artificers give them Force Barrier, another way to shrug off blasts. You probably don't want to run them without this.
- When taken in the Cephalyx Theme Force, Operating Theater, they are given tough thanks to the Cephalyx Dominator they must be leashed to. Cognifex Cyphon is able to give them Blur for that sweet DEF 17 against shooting, DEF 21 and Tough in cover can be really tough to remove. Make sure to keep the Dominator back away from harm if you don't want your 19 point unit stuck doing nothing but running on an important turn, or kill it early on if you think keeping Tough isn't worth the risk of being nullified for a round.
- Fiona the Black - Occultation gives them an actual defensive ability in Stealth and under her feat they become virtually unhittable. Curse of Veils ups their damage both at range and in melee considerably. They can also be her cultists (take that Nyssor!)
- Boomhowler, Solo Artist - He can hand out Reposition to them, letting them back away from their target after shooting.
- Artificer Prime Nemo & Arcane Mechaniks - He can bring back fallen Nyss.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- You pay elite infantry price for veteran shooting and veteran melee that you can't use at the same time by default. It's difficult to justify them against comparable units like Idrian Skirmishers (with the UA) in Mercenaries, Farrow Brigands (with the UA) in Hordes, Trencher Infantry in Cygnar, the Winter Guard Rifle Corps (with Kovnik Joe) in Khador.
- They have victim stats and no defensive abilities like Tough, Stealth, Repo, and so on, by default. They will die easily to blast damage and other anti-infantry tech, meaning they will need support of any kind to fix their problems, which increases their already considerable cost even further.
- 3, perhaps 4 points overpriced.
Tricks & Tips
Use Boomhowler, Solo Artist to grant them Reposition 3". This helps them strike and fade.
- Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
- Cylena and company are regarded as being one of the most difficult-to-assembly models in the game. Tiny contact points and loads of spikey bits mean arms and legs can fall off all the time. Oh, and they've got ugly faces.
Other Theme Forces
Retribution of Scyrah (Edit)
Circle Orboros (Edit)
- Secret Masters. This theme doesn't have a limit on how many Minion units you can take.
- The Bones of Orboros
- The Devourer's Host
- The Wild Hunt
Other Faction models
|Minion Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Warlock attachments||Targ - Gatorman Soul Slave|
|Solos||Farrow||Agata, Queen of Carnage - Maximus - Rorsh & Brine - Targ|
Alten Ashley - Brun Cragback & Lug - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Dhunian Archon Efaarit Scout - Eilish Garrity, the Occultist - Feralgeist - Flubbin - Flugwug the Filcher - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Gubbin - Gudrun the Wanderer - Hermit of Henge Hold - Hutchuck, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - J.A.I.M.s - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Ledfoot & Tredz - Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - Ogrun Bokur - Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - Primal Archon - Pyg Tank - Saxon Orrik - Scythe - Swamp Gobber Chef - Swamp Gobber River Raiders - Thamarite Advocate - The Wastelander - Thrullg - Totem Hunter - Underchief Mire - Viktor Pendrake - Void Archon - Weird Wendell
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher (Farrow) - Sacral Vault (Gatorman)|
|Independent Warjack||Malvin & Mayhem|
|Minion - Theme Forces|
|Minion Faction Themes (Edit)||The Blindwater Congregation - The Thornfall Alliance - Vengeance of Dhunia - Will Work for Food|
|Unlimited Minions themes(Edit)||Disciples of Agony (Skorne) - Oracles of Annihilation (Legion) - Secret Masters (Circle)|
|This index was last updated: 2020.06|
|Retribution Index (Edit)|
|Battlegroup & Similar|
|Warcasters||Elara2 - Garryth1 - Garryth2 - Goreshade4 - Helynna1 - Issyria1 - Kaelyssa1 - Ossyan1 - Rahn1 - Ravyn1 - Thyron1 - Vyros1 - Vyros2|
|Warcaster attachments||Fane Knight Guardian (Retribution) - Sylys Wyshnalyrr (Retribution) - Madelyn Corbeau (Mercenary)|
|Other Warjack Controllers||Elara1 (BGC) - Sentinel Scyir ('Jack Marshal) - Artificer ('Jack Marshal)|
|Light Warjacks|| Aspis - Chimera - Gorgon - Griffon - Harpy - Siren|
|Heavy Warjacks|| Banshee - Daemon - Hydra - Manticore - Phoenix - Sphinx|
Discordia - Hypnos - Hemera - Imperatus
|Colossal||Hyperion - Helios|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Destors - Invictors - Sentinels - Heavy Rifle Team - Swordsmen - Arcanists - Battle Mages - Electromancers - Halberdiers - Riflemen - Infiltrators - Strike Force - Ryssovass Defenders - Stormfall Archers|
Nyss Hunters - Spears of Scyrah
Special: Eiryss3 (CA) - Soulless Escort (WA)
Aelyth Vyr - Arcanist Mechanik - Destor Thane - Sentinel Scyir - Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (1) - Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (2) - Eiryss, Fortune Hunter of Ios (4) - Elara, Tyro of the Third Chamber (1) - Fane Knight Guardian - Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen - Ghost Sniper - Hermit of Henge Hold - Artificer - Magister - Houseguard Thane - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress Lys Healer - Assassin - Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios - Nayl - Priest of Nyssor - Scythe - Soulless Voidtracer
|Battle Engines||Arcantrik Force Generator - Dawnguard Trident|
|Defenders of Ios - Forges of War - Legions of Dawn - Shadows of the Retribution|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|This index was last updated: 2020.01|
|Which Faction am I?
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)