| Countercharge - When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of this model and in its LOS, this model can immediately charge it. This model can use Countercharge only once per round and not while engaged.
|| Edit description
Rules Clarification: : Countercharge (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
| Triggering Countercharge |
- You can trigger Countercharge if you're engaging, but not engaged.
- Some abilities let you "ignore intervening models when declaring a charge" (such as Flight). Unfortunately, you still need LOS to trigger Countercharge, and it's only after CC is triggered that you actually get to declare a charge. In other words, Flight and Countercharge don't work together for LOS purposes.
- What does trigger Countercharge
- Countercharge triggers off any advance, not just in-activation stuff.
- You can trigger Countercharge during your own turn, if your opponent has an ability to move during your turn (such as Admonition).
- Standing still but changing facing is an advance.
- What doesn't trigger Countercharge
- Aiming, or forfeiting your movement, is not advancing.
- If a model doesn't move, doesn't change facing, doesn't aim ... does nothing but skips straight ahead to its Combat Action, this is not an advance. (Infernal Ruling)
- Being placed (such as Teleport) is not an advance.
- Involuntary movement (being slammed, thrown, or pushed) is not an advance.
- When a unit is moving, countercharge is triggered on a model-by-model basis. So you can countercharge after any model in the unit has finished its move within range, but you can only countercharge that model who just finished its movement. You can't "save it" until the entire unit finishes moving and then say "I'm going to Countercharge the first guy you moved."
What can your opponent do?
- Once you trigger countercharge, your opponent cannot use a "Any Time" ability until the countercharge is fully resolved. Even though it's their turn.
- They can trigger their own abilities from your movement (such as Admonition) and/or your attack (such as Shock Field).
Attacks, Boosting, & Other Triggers
- You only get one attack when making a countercharge, regardless of how many initials you normally have.
- The charge attack damage is only boosted if the Countercharger moved 3" or more, as with a regular charge.
- Countercharge occurs outside of activation so you can't spend fury/focus to boost a countercharge attack, nor buy additional attacks afterwards, not trigger stuff that only happens during your Combat Action (like Berserk).
- Exception: It is possible to trigger Countercharge during your own activation (for instance your opponent triggers Admonition to try and move away). In that case, you can do all the stuff mentioned above. (Locked Thread)
After the Countercharge
- You cannot use any abilities that trigger on "during activation" or "during combat action" (such as Sprint) after a Countercharge, as Counter Charge is not an activation. (Locked thread)
- Countercharge within your own activation ( Edit )
- You can trigger Countercharge during your own activation, but only if an enemy model somehow triggers their own move. For instance, you move towards a model with Admonition and they trigger that to try to move away. (You do a normal move, they trigger admonition and move, you trigger countercharge from their admonition-move.)
- In this scenario you may boost Countercharge attacks and trigger only-during-activation effects (such as Critical Shred & Sustained Attack) exactly as if you were in your activation (because you are).
- Also, you can potentially get two charge attacks (one for your normal charge, one for the counter charge). (Infernal Ruling)
This ruling still applies even after the 2018.07 update (Infernal Re-ruling)
- Countercharge plus Admonition
- If a model has both CC and Admonition, it can trigger both at the same time. A model moves nearby, it admonitions away, then countercharges back in.
- Countercharge vs Slipstream ( Edit )
- Both these abilities trigger at the same time (end of movement). The active player then resolved his first.
- This can let the Slipstream model place something to block the Countercharge model.
- Assault vs Countercharge ( Edit )
- Countercharge & Cavalry ( Edit )
- A model with Countercharge and Cavalry can make Impact Attacks during the countercharge. (Refer "Charges Outside of Activation" in the rulebook).
If someone with Countercharge charges you, do not try to avoid them by using Admonition or Enliven. If you Admonition away they'll be able to trigger Countercharge/slam during their own activation and, not only will you fail to avoid them, they'll end up getting //two// charge attacks against you (a free countercharge attack, and after that is resolved they finish resolving their interrupted charge attack)
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "Countercharge"
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total.