|We have 1219 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Locke (1 year review)||Suppresor (one year review)||Exemplar Bastion Seneschal (one year review)||Exemplar Errants (One one year review)|
| Castigator |
The Reckoner was heralded as the first warjack entirely of Menite design. It lights the way for the faithful with its cannon as it charges across the battlefield and then smashes anything still standing with its club. Based on the same design, the Castigator brings Menoth’s Fury to its enemies with its flaming fists and the ability to ignite the surrounding air with flesh-cremating heat. The Sanctifier is employed in battle to ensure the spirits of the righteous are ushered to Urcaen; as battle wears on, it becomes a vessel for Menite souls, fueling its power even as it protects the righteous.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Ashen Veil - This model has concealment. Living enemy models without Fire immunity suffer -2 to attack rolls while within 2" of this model.
- Immunity: Fire - This model does not suffer fire damage, nor the continuous fire effect.
- Combustion (★ Attack) - This model causes POW 12 Fire Damage and the Fire Continuous Effect to nearby models and may then buy additional melee attacks.
- Flame Fist (x2) - 1" reach, POW 5, P+S 16 melee weapons.
- Exemplar Interdiction. Castigators gain Blessed weapons in this theme.
- Guardians of the Temple
- The Creator's Might
- The Faithful Masses. Castigators gain Hand of Vengeance in this theme.
- Warriors of the Old Faith. Castigators can be "shared" by Khador warcasters in this theme.
- Hearts of Darkness. Castigators can only go in this theme if Feora (1), (2), or (3) is leading the army. They become an Infernal warjack and gain Accumulator [Soulless] in this theme.
Thoughts on Castigator
Castigator in a nutshell
The Castigator is a good "beat-stick" type of 'jack, having high armor, enough movement to get it where you need it, and a few surprises for your opponent up its armored sleeves. With all of this, and being only a few points more than a stock Crusader, the Castigator is a heck of a bargain.
Some players consider the P+S to be a bit "pillow-fisted", but to make up for that it has two automatic continuous fire attacks (other warjacks are lucky to have one critical fire attack). This can give the Castigator a more consistent damage output versus opponents that can't be "one-rounded", and also you get TWO OPEN FISTS to throw things around with. "Hey Sorcha! Catch!"
Combos & Synergies
- The combination of Ashen Veil & Combustion makes the Castigator a fantastic choice when confronting Hordes armies, given that you're more likely to be facing living models.
- The Castigator's fire immunity means that you can safely get the Castigator into the thick of the fight and still happily spray flaming death on your foes.
- Warcasters like Malekus and Feora work quite well with the Castigator as it is a fire-themed warjack. Spells such as Ignite, and fire based feats, work really well with the Castigator's continuous fire fists.
- Durst with Bulwark up or Harbinger with Awe makes this DEF 14 against living
- Choir's Battle Hymn works on Combustion and Combustion can be boosted. Since the castigator is not a popular warjack a sudden autohitting boosted pwr 14 will surprise many opponents
Drawbacks & Downsides
- While a good jack overall, the Castigator is missing out on any kind of ranged attack. Then again, it's not designed to fill that role.
- Being a SPD 5 warjack with melee-only weapons, it is susceptible to opponents that can slow it down or otherwise keep it out of melee. Be wary of things that can push it around or knock it down (like Arcane Tempest Gun Mages and their Thunderbolt shots).
Tips & Tricks
- Combustion can't be used after charging, because it is not tied to a melee weapon.
- Combustion is best used after your opponent just swamped you with infantry. Also, since it isn't tied to any System, you can always use Combustion no matter how much they just beat you up.
- Combustion is great vs models that otherwise can't be targeted by melee attacks.
- Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
- The Castigator is sold as a plastic multi-set with options to assemble a Reckoner or Sanctifier.
Other Protectorate Models