|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
This model is available in two Prime Armies,
- Mercenary: Blindwater Congregation
- Mercenary: Talion Charter
. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
- Captain Crawtooth is my friend.
He could be your friend, too,
if only you would understand
that Gatormen have feelings, too.
Captain Crawtooth: He has feelings, too!
(More like hunger pangs and a taste for human flesh!)
Riot Quest - Although this model has rules which allow it to be played in Warmachine and Hordes, it was primarily designed for the Riot Quest boardgame. RQ is set in an alternate and/or future timeline where the Infernals won the war. Some of the RQ models are slightly more goofy than their WMH equivalents.
Mercenary - Will work for Cryx.
Minion - Will work for Circle, Legion, Skorne, and Trollbloods.
- Thrown Hook - 6" range, POW 12 ranged attack
- Chain Weapon
- Drag - When this attack hits an enemy model with an equal or smaller base, immediately after the attack is resolved the enemy model can be pushed directly toward this model until it contacts a model, an obstacle, or an obstruction. After the enemy model is moved, this model can make one basic melee attack against the enemy model. After resolving this melee attack, this model can make additional melee attacks during its Combat Action.
- Thrown - Apply any modifiers to this model's STR to the POW of this weapon.
- Hook Strike - 1" reach, POW 4, P+S 12 melee attack
- Bite - 0.5" reach, POW 5, P+S 13 melee attack
Thoughts on Captain Crawtooth
Captain Crawtooth in a nutshell
Crawtooth does two things: He drags in some enemy models with his extremely short ranged hook and also makes Gatormen resistant to knock down. You will probably see this guy in Blindwater Congregation to make Gatormen Posse very resilient, you may also see him in Will Work For Food if enough Gatorman solos find their way into a list. Although he is in the Talion Charter, Hearts of Darkness and Irregulars themes he will do almost nothing to support them and instead take the role of a durable combat solo with a drag attack.
Combos & Synergies
- Anything Gatorman. Tough Gatormen in particular, so Gatorman Posse become very hard to take down.
- If run by Maelok his standard brick becomes even better. Crawtooth himself becomes really, really bricky on feat turn with a 12/21 profile, incorporeal, tough and no knockdown.
- Any Gatorman Warlock likes being made immune to knock down, since that is usually how assassinations are set up.
- In the Talion Charter he gains Sac Pawn and should have many sacrificial dudes around to make use of it. This way you might actually be able to get him far enough up the board to make use of his Drag.
- Shae - Crawtooth is an odd choice for Storm Rager but with his thrown hook he will still have 2 very respectable attacks. Coup de Main and his feat also help him engage the enemy on his terms.
- Rahera - Sprint is easier to use with drag in her small CMD bubble. The wording of Drag and her feat + black spot is also interesting.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Drag sounds good until you consider stealth, Shield Guard, Sacrificial Pawn, stuff that can’t be moved, walls/terrain/other models ... it’s a long list.
- He offers no support for Pirates or Mercs in general (bar Wrongeye and Snapjaw). And these themes have no shortage of solos to choose from.
- His hook range is extremely short. You really feel it when an enemy has Flying High or similar.
- Pirates have ample access to drags already.
- If you are not leveraging no sleeping on the job, then for 1pt more you can get 2 Bog Trog Trawlers who offer more drags and more interesting threat angles.
- Blindwater Congregation doesn’t have that many ranged weapons at the time of writing meaning Crawtooth’s hook is easily shield guarded.
Tricks & Tips
- Do yourself a favour and don't think of him as a merc or privateer model. He's golden in the Blindwater Congregation but does next to nothing for Talion.
- If you choose to ignore the advice above and run him in Talion remember he is a Privateer so is affected by Doc Killingsworth’s aura and Dougal’s mini feat for extra range
- No sleeping on the job is not faction specific - incredibly corner case but in disciples of agony you can prevent knockdown to Gatormen warbeasts that are technically skorne models (as the task master will no longer help them)
- Spoiled in the "October releases" list (2019.07)
Other Theme Forces
Circle Orboros (Edit)
Legion of Everblight (Edit)
Other Faction models
| Mercenary Index (Edit)
| Units, Solos, & Battle Engines
| Warcaster attachments
Doctor Stygius -
Madelyn Corbeau -
| Lesser Warlocks
|| Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)
| Non-character Units
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator (small or medium based units) -
Special WA: Morrowan Battle Priest (Morrow units)
| Character Units
Croe's Cutthroats -
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters -
Blythe & Bull -
Herne & Jonne -
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt -
Lynus & Edrea -
The Commodore Cannon -
The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
| Non-character Solos
Cephalyx Agitator -
Death Archon -
Gobber Tinker -
Menite Archon -
Morrowan Archon -
Ogrun Bokur -
Powder Monkey -
SH Arcanist -
SH Ironhead -
SH Gunner -
Swamp Gobber River Raider
Thamarite Advocate -
Thamarite Archon -
| Character Solos
Alten Ashley -
Anastasia Di Bray -
Balthazar Bamfist -
Black Bella1 -
Black Bella2 -
Bloody Bradigan -
Bosun Grogspar -
Brun Cragback & Lug -
Captain Crawtooth -
Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI -
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath -
Dirty Meg -
Doc Killingsworth -
Doctor Stygius -
First Mate Hawk -
Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 -
Flugwug the Filcher -
Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One -
Grand Master Gabriel Throne -
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One -
Harlowe Holdemhigh -
Hermit of Henge Hold -
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter -
Kell Bailoch -
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress -
Lord Rockbottom -
Major Harrison Gibbs -
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile -
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor -
Princess Delores Graciela -
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger -
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord -
Rorsh & Brine -
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer -
Savio Montero Acosta -
Saxon Orrik -
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye -
Stannis Brocker -
Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage -
Thor Steinhammer -
Underboss Vizkoya -
Viktor Pendrake -
Weird Wendell -
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
| Battle Engines
Hammerfall Siege Crawler -
| Independent Warjack
Malvin1 & Mayhem1
| Theme Forces (Edit)
| Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter
|This index was last updated: 2021.11
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Amphibious - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : No Sleeping on the Job (Edit)
- If a model is already knocked down, and is then affected by NSotJ, it doesn't get to stand up. The "cannot be knocked down" isn't retroactively applied.
Rules Clarification : Snacking (Edit)
- You can use Snacking to RFP your target even if you're at full health. (Locked thread)
- Snacking occurs at boxed, and thus:
- Doesn't prevent abilities that trigger at disabled (such as Tough, Self-Sacrifice, etc).
- Might prevent abilities that trigger at boxed, depending on who the active player is and whose model the ability triggered on. Refer the 'Triggers' section (pg 10 of the pdf)
- Does prevent abilties that trigger at destroyed (such as collecting soul tokens, etc)
- You can snack friendly models.
- You may choose where each individual point of healing goes.
- If you kill multiple models with a single attack (such as trampling over them) then you get to heal once for each model killed.
Rules Clarification : Chain Weapon - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification: : Drag , Pull, and/or Catch (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
- With respect to the Attack Sequence:
- Pull is resolved at Step 12.
- Enemy effects (such as Retaliatory Strike or Enliven) are resolved at Step 13.
- Drag and Catch are resolved at Step 14.
Ranged Attack Damage (Drag and Catch only)
- If a model is destroyed by the ranged attack, Drag/Catch does not trigger.
- Corpse tokens, soul tokens, and etc will be generated from the model’s original position.
- Sicne it doesn't trigger, you won't get the free melee attack from Drag/Catch (even if there's something different already in your melee range).
- You cannot Drag/Pull/Catch models with a larger base size than you.
- The movement is a Push effect, which is involuntary movement.
- It is not an advance and will not trigger stuff like Countercharge.
- They won't take free strikes because it is involuntary movement.
- They will take damage from any hazards they're pushed through/into (such as Scathers).
- You can drag your target through Incorporeal models, if there's enough space on the other side, because the rules for Incorporeal specifically allow this. (If there's not enough space, the push will stop on the far side of the Incorporeal model.)
- You cannot drag models through Curse-of-Shadows-ed or similar models, because those rules refer to "models can advance through this model" and a push is not an advance.
- You may drag models that you are already in melee with. However most models can't shoot while in melee, so this is pretty much limited to the Prime Axiom and Galleon (see the corner-case scenarios, below).
- If you get to trigger Drag/Pull/Catch on a free strike (mostly just Pull), the moving model will never get out of your melee range. They have to keep advancing out and being pushed back until either they run out of movement, or you fail a free strike. (Infernal Ruling)
Push - General
- Pushed models do not change their facing.
- Pushed models move at half rate through difficult terrain. Also, Pathfinder doesn't apply during pushes.
- Pushed models stop if they contact anything - a model of any size, or any obstacles or obstructions.
- You don't get free strikes against pushed models, because it is "involuntary movement" and therefore does not count as an advance.
- Pushed models suffer the effects of anything they move through (such as acid clouds).
- If you use a Push vs a charging model (via a free strike for example), this will stop the charge movement (refer core rulebook).
- However, if the pushed model is in melee range of its charge target after the push, then it is considered a successful charge. (Infernal Ruling)
- In that scenario, you measure whether the charging model moved 3" or less excluding the push distance. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you push a model to a position where it regains Incorporeal (for instance you push it out of range of an Exorcist) then what happens is (Being Checked by Infernals)
The Free Melee Attack(s) (Drag and Catch only)
- If the target model doesn't end up in melee range (whether because the ranged attack killed it outright, or something blocked the drag movement) then you don't get a free melee attack and don't get the option to buy additional melee attacks.
- If the dragged model can't be targeted by melee attacks, you may not make your free drag attack and don't get the option to buy additional melee attacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- For both of the above two cases, you may still complete your initial ranged attacks and buy additional ranged attacks as per normal (if you have more guns and/or Reload).
- You may make the free melee attack against models that "cannot be pushed" (assuming you're in melee range already). The "After the model is moved" is a timing clause, not a conditional clause.
- To pull this off, you need an ability that allows you to make ranged attack while you're already in melee, so is pretty much limited to just Colossals and/or models attacking objectives.
- After using Drag/Catch, the attacking model may make a single melee attack without spending focus. (So Black Ogrun can make a single melee attack.)
- After doing the free attack, you may buy additional attacks if you have a method of purchasing them. Models with Drag but no focus/fury (such as Black Ogrun) can't buy additional attacks (despite what is implied by the rule on their card) - it's just a standarised wording for Drag.
More corner-case Rules Clarifications
- Models that can make Ranged Attacks while in melee
- This section is pretty much limited to the Prime Axiom and Galleon who, thanks to being Colossals, can continue to shoot after dragging something into melee with themselves. It can also apply to any model shooting at a "can never be in melee" model (eg Scenario objectives).
- When you start your activation, you still need to choose either 'initial ranged attacks' or 'initial melee attacks'. If you choose melee attacks, then you will never get to shoot your Drag weapons.
- If you shoot a Drag weapon you need to resolve the drag move and the free melee attack, but afterwards you're still in "shooting" mode. The best way to think of it is it's "interrupting" your normal ranged attacks and after resolving it, you go back to completing your initials. So it might go:
- Shoot the Drag weapon.
- Drag the enemy closer.
- Resolve the free melee attack.
- Drag resolved. Now you finish shooting the rest of your weapons.
- Once you've completed all your initial ranged attacks (and any free drag melee attacks) then you have the option of buying additional attacks (ranged if you have Reload, melee otherwise.
- However, if you get overexcited and start buying melee attacks after the free drag one then you don't get to finish shooting the rest of your weapons.
- This is because shooting the rest of your guns is completing your "Initial Ranged Attacks" but by buying melee attacks you have jumped ahead to "After Initial Attacks" (refer first sentence of "Additional Attacks" pg 36 of Prime).
- Black Spot + Drag or Catch
- If you trigger Drag/Catch, then any attacks you get from Black Spot can be either ranged or melee, your choice. (Infernal Ruling)
- This combo can lead to an infinite number of attacks, but it depends on your dice.
- Case A (Fail): Make initial ranged attack, destroy the target with the ranged attack.
- Drag does not trigger.
- Black Spot does trigger, and the free BS attack must be a ranged attack because you don't have any rule that gets around the core rule "models cannot make both ranged and melee attacks during the same activation" (unless you have Dual Attack).
- The free BS attack cannot generate any more free BS attacks.
- Case B (Success): Make initial ranged attack, damage the target with the ranged attack.
- Drag triggers, and now you have gotten around the core rule about mixing attack types. (Infernal Ruling)
- Destroy the dragged model with a melee attack, and trigger Black Spot. The free BS attack can be either ranged or melee.
- So you make a ranged attack and try to Drag another one to restart the sequence.
- Theoretically, if you keep managing to damage + Drag targets with the free ranged attacks, and destroy + Black Spot them with the free melee attacks, you never run out of free attacks.
- Dual Attack & Drag ( Edit )
- This is pretty-much limited to just the Prime Axiom under Syntherion, or the Swabber, Galleon or Prime Axiom under Aurora2
- If you charge model A then utilise Dual Attack to make a ranged attack vs the same model, then you would get the free melee attack from Drag. The Drag attack is a charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you charge model A then utilise Dual Attack to make a ranged attack vs a different model, then you would lose the free melee attack from Drag. Your first melee attack must be versus the charge target, and you cannot save the Drag attack for later. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you didn't charge then ... just go nuts. There's no restrictions that I know of.
- Assault & Drag ( Edit )
- You determine whether a charge was successful or not before making the Assault attack.
- If you make an unsuccessful charge but then use Drag to get your charge target into melee range, then:
- It is still a failed charge and your activation is going to end after the Assault attack is resolved. (Infernal Ruling)
- You will get the free melee attack from Drag as part of resolving the Assault ranged attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- Whether or not your charge was successful, this free melee attack is not a charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- You won't be able to purchase additionals (because your activation ended).
Rules Clarification : Thrown (Edit)
- You do not add the model's base STR to the thrown spear, just modifiers. The base STR is already included in the POW of the weapon. (Locked thread)