Captain Arlan Strangewayes
|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Captain Arlan Strangewayes |
This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.11. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
You can view the Mk3 models that have been updated on this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
The arcane mechanik Arlan Strangeways views every challenge in life as a puzzle with a corresponding actionable solution. He boasts to have "solved" many of his most difficult dilemmas just by swinging his enormous mechanikal wrench.
|Captain Arlan Strangewayes|
- 'Jack Marshal
- Magic Ability [ - ] - This model can cast spells. Normally this uses up the model's Combat Action and as such is limited to one spell per activation, but exceptions do exist.
- Repair [d3+3] (★ Action) - RNG B2B. Target friendly Faction construct model. If the model is in range, remove d3+3 damage points from it.
| Arcane Reinforcement
|Target friendly Faction warjack. If the target warjack is in range, its weapons gain Damage Type: Magical. Arcane Reinforcement lasts for one turn.|
|Target friendly Faction warjack. If the target warjack is in range and it was suffering Disruption, it is no longer disrupted. The warjack also gains 1 focus point.|
| Evasive Action
|Target friendly Faction warjack. If the warjack is in range, it gains Evasive for one round.
- Heavy Metal. He gains Reposition  in this theme.
- Sons of the Tempest
- Storm Division. He gains Immunity: Electricity in this theme.
- Other Factions
- Infernal players can use this unit in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Sloan is leading the army.
Thoughts on Captain Arlan Strangewayes
Captain Arlan Strangewayes in a nutshell
Arlan is a pretty versatile jack supporter solo. Most of the time he will either be dishing out a free focus or repair a Warjack. While his other abilities are by no means bad, they are often reserved for the more niche tasks your army has to carry out. With such a broad toolbox (no pun intended) he is quite often the first or second choice for your free card in most of the themes, and should be high on the buying list for new players.
- Empower - Free focus on your jack, on demand, from 7" away - not much more to say. The removal of Disruption can also save life occasionally against Cygnar mirror matches or against certain Trollblood/Circle builds.
- Evasive Action - Cygnar is no short on tools which can improve a jack's ARM against shooting (like Arcane Shield). It takes some practice to learn the usefulness of this ability, but enables you interesting hit&run tactics with your jacks. See Tips and Tricks for its application.
- Arcane Reinforcement - In a pinch Arlan can replicate Aiyana's magic weapon-giving ability onto a warjack of yours. Extremely useful against Cryx, Protectorate, Grymkin or Minion lists, but usually a maligned ability on other occasions.
- Repair - Arlan's most straightforward application, and a good solution if you want some in-faction repair in your list. Note that even though Arlan can restore at least 4 systems on a jack, he is somewhat slow, and can repair only a single jack at once, as opposed to Mechanik and Combat Engineer units.
- Jack Marshal - Since he has no drives, and Empower is not tied to battlegroup models, he rarely commands warjacks on his own. If a journeyman warcaster or another marshal gets killed during the game, Arlan might take control over their inert/autonomous jacks to save you kill-points and keep your warjack relevant (unless it was a colossal).
Combos & Synergies
- Heavy Metal - You can't have too much repair in a theme which is choke full with jacks and battle engines. This list is also prone to run low on magic damage sources, especially in the case of Darius. Arlan can help a lot in such a case. He also gains Reposition, which enables you to position better after he did something useful. Last but not least, he is a solo, so he can score on flags, giving you a bit more chance in uneven Steamroller scenarios.
- Sons of the Tempest - Falk's Rune marked shots can boost the damage potential of the jack you enhanced with Arlan's Arcane Reinforcement.
- Storm Division - Arlan has an electric spray template. Feel free to target your own models without fear of damaging them to circumvent targeting restrictions. Don't forget, critical disruption can still trigger on your jacks so shoot them with care.
- Do you have a focus-starved caster? Arlan can reduce his/her burden. Even with power up, a spare focus is never a bad thing to most Cygnar 'casters out there.
- Marshalled jacks rarely have access to Focus, as they exist outside battlegroups. If you would like to boost a damage roll on a marshalled Warjack using Crush! or Take Aim!, Arlan is here to help you bring the pain.
- Bastian Falk can tag something with a rune marked shot. If Strangeways then makes a jacks weapons do magical damage it will get +2 to the damage roll.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- His ARM is good, but it doesn't take too much to kill him.
- Both Repair and Empower are really nice abilities. Sadly, you will have to choose between them time and time again.
- He is a jack marshal with no drives.
- If you just want a repairer, a Gobber Tinker or a minimum unit of Field Mechaniks can do it cheaper, and the Trencher Combat Engineers have more staying power. Alas, if you intend to use Arlan only for repairing stuff, you probably waste a lot of his potential.
- You can only take one of him, as he's a character solos, while other factions have FA:U empower solos that either cost the same or are even cheaper. Don't get jealous!
Tricks & Tips
- Think ahead. Arlan has low speed and his magic abilities work in his 7" CMD area. It is all too easy to stay too far behind your jacks in the first few turns and be out of range to make it into B2B with a jack when it would need an emergency repair.
- Arcane Reinforcement makes only weapon-related damages magical - you still can't trample over a Feralgeist to kill it, or head-butt a Gremlin Swarm to death.
Evasive Action 101
- This is not an upkeep. You can have it on your jack beside upkeep spells like Arcane Shield, Blur and the like.
- Use it in conjunction with Dodge, either from a spell, or from an innate ability. When they shoot you, you get to move, no matter if they hit or miss.
- It lasts for a whole round, thus, if you receive a free strike from a Gunfighter model in your own turn, you'll still get the extra 2" move.
- Evasive can trigger multiple times during a round.
- Evasive triggers before Drag, as it is not an attack-generating ability. You can use it to back off, or send a jack closer to the enemy lines
- Use it to get out of melee range of a Prime Axiom, Loki, a Reaper, or a Galleon after shooting you with their weapon, if they cannot place you in B2B with themselves.
- Evasive will usually deter enemies with Assault ability to use their shots against you, as you can easily just back out of their melee range with the 2" extra moves. This means you will probably take a freestrike, but if you stay in melee the alternative could be several attacks as opposed to just one.
- Put it on a model with Shield Guard to make your opponent question if they really want to shoot that important solo within 3".
- Released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
Other Cygnar models
Rules Clarification : Disruption (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Electricity (Edit)
Rules Clarification : 'Jack Marshal (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Magic Ability (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Arcane Reinforcement - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Empower and/or Recharge (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Evasive - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Repair (Edit)