Captain Allison Jakes
| Captain Allison Jakes |
The transition from journeyman to full-fledged warcaster is never easy, but Captain Allison Jakes earned her promotion through circumstances far beyond the scope of any ordinary trial. She now carries herself with the confidence of one who has seen the ravages of war, moving across the battlefield with a grace expressed through acrobatic stunts, nimble parries, and cunning dodges. Wielding a pair of swords, Jakes cuts through the opposition with a fluidity that speaks of her skill as a duelist and the innumerable hours she has devoted to mastering the art of close combat. As she advances downfield, she freely lashes her foes with deadly voltaic strikes, and those who fight alongside her find themselves moving with the speed of a swiftly approaching storm. With each new battle her reputation grows, and despite her youth she commands the respect of any fortunate enough to serve under her command.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Jakes2
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. (Click the link for a full rundown.)
- Parry - This model cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Acrobatics - This model can advance through other models if it has enough movement to move completely past their bases. This model ignores intervening models when declaring its charge target.
- Sprint - At the end of an activation in which it destroyed or removed from play one or more enemy models with melee attacks, this model can immediately make a full advance, then its activation ends.
- Field Marshal [Sprint] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Sprint.
- Handcannon (x2) - 12" range, POW 12 ranged attacks
- Feedback Blade - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee attack
- Electro Blade - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee attack
- Damage Type: Magical
- Electro Leap - When a model is directly hit with a basic attack made with this weapon, you can have lightning arc to the nearest model within 4" of the the model hit, ignoring the attacking model. The model the lightning arcs to suffers an unboostable POW10 electrical damage roll. Lightning arc damage rolls are not considered to have been caused by an attack. Resolve lightning arc damage rolls simultaneously with the damage resulting from the attack that caused the leap.
| Bullet Dodger
|Target friendly Faction model gains +2 DEF and Dodge.
|Warjacks in the caster's battlegroup beginning their activations in the caster's control range gain +2" movement when advancing as part of their Normal Movement. Also, the caster gains +2 ARM while a battlegroup warjack is within 3" of it.|
| Lightning Storm
|All models in the AOE suffer a POW 10 electrical damage roll. Also, the AOE is a hazard that stays in play for one round and does POW 10 electrical damage to anyone entering or ending their turn in it.|
| Positive Charge
|Target friendly Faction warjack gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls. Also, while within 3" of the warjack, friendly Faction models gain the same bonus. Lasts for one turn.|
Captain Allison Jakes channels a surge of voltaic energy through the forces under her command. Armed with galvanic weapons spouting tendrils of lightning, her soldiers and warjacks thunder across the battlefield to deliver leaping arcs of electricity deep into enemy ranks.
While in Jakes' control range, friendly Faction models gain Immunity: Electricity & Parry. Affected models' melee weapons become RNG 2 and gain Electro Leap (as above). Powerhouse lasts for one round.
- Flame in the Darkness. She gains access to Khador and Mercenary warjacks in this theme.
- Heavy Metal
- Sons of the Tempest
- Storm Division. Jakes gains Immunity: Electricity in this theme.
2019.08 August dynamic update
- This model became a Morrowan model, which will allow them to go in the new Flames in the Dark theme.
Thoughts on Jakes2
Jakes2 in a nutshell
Allison Jakes is one of six Cygnaran battlegroup warcasters:
- Commander Adept Nemo - Fast melee force with loads of focus
- Captain Allison Jakes - speed and fast melee hit and run
- Captain E. Dominic Darius - brawl and win the attrition game
- Captain Kara Sloan - shoot the enemy to pieces
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye - Run and Gun shooter
- Artificer General Nemo & Storm Chaser Finch - Bring the lightning! And fully load your battle group.
Jakes blitzkriegs with warjacks. Hit hard, hit fast, and try to sprint clear for the counter-attack. Despite that, her feat and Positive Charge rewards you for combined arms approach too. Among the current themes, you should shy away only from the Sons of the Tempest, as they have very few direct synergy with her. All other lists can work very well.
Her melee prowess, though not stellar, shouldn't gone unnoticed either. Of course, she's not Rhyas, but Acrobatics and Parry can lead you to normally unreachable places and angles. Screening models mean her nothing, so you can easily reach crews behind a warjack, or charge through a defensive screen. Your blades can cause all kinds of trouble,from tagging enemy warlock with Feedback damage points to unjam your own warjacks by hitting them with the Electro blade to remove chaff infantry with the leaps.
"This unit would be so nice if it could threat just a bit further!" "I'd really like to trample through these Swordsmen, but they'll thrash my jack with the free strikes." If you ever had such statements, Jakes is your caster. An increased melee range not only adds extra threat distance, but also interacts with quite a lot of rules. Engaged arc nodes can't channel. Suddenly you can give free strikes in a much bigger area. You can flush out a whole lot of Trenchers with Dig In from their cover. You can trample through infantry with no fear from free strikes. Also, units with Flank (notably Trench Busters and Sword Knights) can activate their bonus much farther than normally. Don't forget, it's an aura-like feat, so you must be in her CTRL area to use its benefits.
- Bullet Dodger - usually it will be on you, or on a valuable solo, like Laddermore you want to protect from shooting. Putting it on an elusive jack, like the Grenadier or the Hunter will put its DEF to absurd levels.
- Escort - One of her a bread&butter spells, you'll cast it on turn 1 and don't let it drop throughout the game.
- Lightning Storm - A board controlling Zap, but incredibly expensive for your tight focus pool.
- Positive Charge - Her second go-to spell; cast it once you want to get stuck in. As it is not an upkeep, you might want to consider an Arc Node if you want to cast it on a jack far away from you.
- Mastering its use is essential to play with Jakes effectively. See Tips and Tricks for its application.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Jakes provides very little direct support for models outside of her battlegroup.
- She can become focus strapped with large battlegroups.
- You support melee engagements through your spells. Things that forbid melee attacks, charges (or worse, advances, like Magnus2's feat), as well as anti-magic stuffs (Lamentation, Arcane Suppression, or even Arcane Vortex if they stand close to your model you want to enhance by Positive Charge) can hurt you a lot.
- For being a duelist, her personal melee package is uninspiring. Lists with few "soft" targets will also leave you with few opportunities to trigger your Field Marshal.
- As every high DEF-low ARM caster, she is pretty vulnerable to pop-and-drop assassinations.
- Despite all her ninja-chick flicks she lacks Pathfinder, and can't provide it to her army via spells either.
- She doesn't have the reliable movement shenanigans game of Kraye or the attrition power of Stryker2, both of which overlap to some degree with how she wants to play.
Tricks & Tips
- Outside of her feat she has no Electricity immunity. If you want to throw around lightning, your best option is to bring her in the Storm Division theme force. With a default electricity immunity, you can swing around with your Electric Blade, without fearing of arcing a lightning into your own troops.
- Many a careless caster has been shot down by a fully boosted volley from Jakes' handcannons. Not your first line of attack, but not something to forget about either.
- Sprinting past infantry prevents your jacks being charged by them, keeping them weirdly safe.
- Killings from Electro Leap (or Feedback) won't trigger Sprint, as they are not melee attacks. On the flip side they won't trigger attack-related abilities like Swift Vengeance.
- Sprint can get the Positive Charge bonuses in interesting places. Use it to kill a heavy model and then sprint over toward another target to spread the bonus for other parts of your army to use.
Positive Charge 101
- It is not an upkeep, thus resists most of the anti-upkeep techs like Purification, Dispel, Purgation, Hex Blast, etc. You can also have it beside an upkeep like Arcane Shield, or while being effected by another effect, like Arlan's Arcane Reinforcement.
- It lasts throughout the turn, so your free strikes won't benefit from it.
- You warjack can receive it even while it is Disrupted, Stationary, Knocked Down, or has crippled systems, and also broadcasts the respective bonuses.
- Only damage rolls from melee attacks will get the bonus, collateral damages won't.
- Just like with Ragman, use base length and melee range to spread its effect from afar. Cast it on a colossal and charge in with your Storm Lances to reap the benefit up to 11,7" away.
- If needed, you can cast it on 2, or even 3 separate jacks in a turn (which will leave you woefully exposed, so use sparingly).
- The recipient warjack doesn't have to be in your battlegroup. Marshaled jacks, as well as ones in a Journeyman's battlegroups are all fine.
List Building Advice
Jakes' army's superior mobility enables you a strong scenario pressure, while her feat can swing an attrition fight to your favour. It also enables nasty assassinations against careless opponents. Overall, keep looking for suitable targets to activate your sprint Field Marshal.
For units, any self-supporting infantry screen works well with her.
Jakes likes these solos, that can be in various themes
- Squire - an extra focus and larger control area.
- Captain Arlan Strangewayes - extra focus to hand out.
- Aiyana with Murdoch, Gorman or Ragman - Positive Charge stacks very well with damage buffs. With Aiyana and Death field it will yield a whooping +6 swing on your damage rolls, even before counting the units' innate damage bonuses.
- Swabber - The best Escort buddy available for her, as it can stay close to her and give her +2 ARM as well as Lash and Girded, Shield Guard is the cherry on top. With its drag gun it an also reel in targets for the Positive Charge buff.
- Toro - It packs a nice P+S 18 whack-stick (POW 20 with PC), which it can use to wreck something, then Sprint away and threaten Counter Charges on the enemies turn.
- Freebooter - PC makes it less flimsy with its clams and Jury Rigged and Escort lets it charge 12", then you can back up 7" thanks to Sprint (provided you kill something).
- Blockader - With POW 24 under PC and a 14" threat range (SPD 5 + Charge + Escort + 4" melee), it can bully a sizeable chunk of the board and PC extended from a huge base should make follow ups easy for your infantry.
- Black Bella - Bella is essentially what happens when Savio and Finn have a baby. Killing Spree + feat induced reach and e-leaps will clear lost of chaff and Duelist, Riposte and Bullet Dodger make her really hard to remove.
- Precursor Knights with a 2" melee range during your feat they can form a surprisingly effective Shield Wall.
- Precursor Knights can go in other themes, but you need to use up your "Up to one Mercenary" slot, if not taken in heavy metal
- Thunderhead fares pretty well under Jakes.
- Stormblade Infantry - Being your hardest hitting infantry, a minimum unit can one-round any ARM20 heavy with Positive Charge and Electrical Arc.
- Thunderhead can go here, too.
- Precursor Knight Are also in this theme and don't use up your merc slot.
- Sword Knights - Cheap infantry, who are enhanced by the warjacks' presence, and even more so from Positive Charge, and her feat. If you fancy them, definitely go for the Heavy Metal theme force. If you keep them in Defensive Line, they can effectively screen you from pop&drop tricks too.
This list works kind of odd with Jakes. Though you may have hilarious moments with Finn under your feat, you can support your Trenchers only by casting Positive Charge upon your jacks before they get stuck in. This list doesn't favor too many non-trencher models, so those jacks will be usually your battlegroup members, and some occasional Grenadiers if the enemy closed in on them.
- Trencher Infantry - Unless you dug them in, they can form screen for your jacks and provide light arms fire to clear off annoying infantry which might block charge lanes or Sprint escape routes. Also, with Positive Charge + Brutal Charge on their Bayonet they can reliably dent ARM 18 heavies - something you wouldn't expect from a P+S 9 melee weapon.
- Captain Maxwell Finn - The toughest man in Immoren gets even tougher. Overtake and Killing spree are usually kept in check with his .5" melee range. Well, Jakes2 busts that can wide open. Entire tales are told about how many troopers Finn has killed during Jakes' feat turn and the answer is frequently "all of them." Also, a fine target for Bullet Dodger. Keep a Positive Charge enhanced jack near your target unit to ensure that your killing spree won't get interrupted by some bad rolls
- Trencher Warcaster Lieutenant can run a Grenandier for Jakes to put Bullet Dodger on. Trencher Mechaniks help loading it up, too.
- The Patrol Dog during your feat can knock down a target on a critical hit from 11" afar, and electrocute someone with the electro-leap. Who's a good boy? You are. Yes, you are, indeed.
- Lanyssa - Though you can't bring her into the jack theme list, she can be included in all other. Free charges for your jacks will leave you with more focus to boost an important attack or damage roll to trigger Sprint. Add Escort's extra movement, and you can charge from downtown.
- She's short on focus, and she prefers heavy melee jacks - but one Sentinel to give her the ARM buff and a Shield Guard is never a bad choice.
- Minuteman - with its ability to leap places it can be an ideal target for Positive Charge. And it can leap in, kill, and sprint away quite happily.
- Hammersmith - Possibly the greatest caster for them. Sprint helps them not get stuck far out in front after beat backing across the board, Escort fixes their speed, Positive Charge boosts further their hitting power, and feat keeps them from taking free strikes while following up and amends their short melee range. She turns this decent jack into a monster. Don't forget, it doesn't have to be under your care; save for the Escort andthe Field Marshal, it gets those benefits even if it is controlled by jack marshals, like Runewood.
- Centurion - Charge in, kill, back up, then use Polarity Shield to keep a safe distance from your enemy. It can safely stay close to Jakes so she can enjoy the bonus ARM granted by Escort, whilst the extra speed allows it to keep up with her.
- Stormclad - it's got an accumulator which is a really useful ability on a melee heavy when she's focus strapped. Don't forget to bring a Storm Knight model beside to fuel it.
- Ironclad - kill someone important with your Tremor attack, then leave the rest behind with Sprint.
- Stormwall or Hurricane - Seemingly odd choice, but stacking Positive Charge, Escort, and Arcane Shield on a colossal is downright mean.
- Firefly - Are already often used the be shoved down the enemies throat in order to apply their Ionization buff. The same is true for Jakes, except she can also put Positive Charge on it so get double the buff.
- Jakes is the epic version of Lieutenant Allison Jakes - a solo
- We first saw the Lieutenant in the computer game Warmachine Tactics
- Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Cygnar Command (2017)
Other Cygnar models
Video Battle Reports
- 2018.06 Feat Fetish 75 points vs Damiano
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Rules Clarification : Feat - Powerhouse
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)