Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood
|We have 1341 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood |
In the chaos of war Calandra is a beacon of hope and optimism who can always find an encouraging word to bolster her follow trollkin. At the same time, her maternal drive compels her to strike with merciless resolve against any who would harm those she has vowed to protect. As Oracle of the Glimmerwood, she is more than a simple shaman. She possesses the rare gift of true sight and is able to discern glints of possible futures through divination and augury.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Calandra
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
Feat: Good Omens
When a friendly Faction model rolls a 1 or 2 on a die in an attack or damage roll while in Truthsayer's control range, it can reroll the die. Each die can be rerolled only once as a result of Good Omens. Good Omens lasts for one turn.
- Fate-Blessed - When a friendly Faction model makes an attack or damage roll during its activation while in this model's control range, this model can spend 1 fury point to allow the model to reroll that roll. Each roll can be rerolled only once as a result of Fate-Blessed.
|An enemy non-warcaster, non-warlock, non-infernal master model hit by this attack can be pushed up to 3˝ in any direction. A model can be pushed only once per turn as a result of Befuddle.|
| Bullet Dodger
|Target friendly Faction model gains +2 DEF and Dodge.
|A model damaged by Misfortune becomes knocked down.|
| Soothing Song
|Remove up to one fury point from each friendly living Faction warbeast currently in the spellcaster's control range. Soothing Song can be cast only once per activation.|
|While in the spellcaster's control range, enemy models gain an additional die on attack rolls. Discard the highest die of each roll. Star-Crossed lasts for one round.|
- Band of Heroes. In this theme she gains "Optional Take Down".
- Kriel Company
- Power of Dhunia. In this theme she can start the game with friendly upkeeps in play.
- Storm of the North. In this theme she can upkeep spells on (almost) any friendly model for free.
- Vengeance of Dhunia. In this theme she gains Attuned Spirit [Trollblood/Minion Warbeast].
- Other Factions
- Befuddle nerfed to a 3" push (it used to be a 3" advance and could be abused to trigger stuff like Countercharge whenever you wanted).
Thoughts on Calandra
Calandra in a Nutshell
Calandra is a spell slinger with a strong theme of dice manipulation. She can be excellent for beginners as she is much simpler and more forgiving than the faction's other spell slinger, Kolgrima Stonetruth, Winter Witch.
Her large control range helps her notorious spell Star-Crossed cover basically the whole center of the table. This is a big advantage, especially because she is quite squishy and needs to stay away from the front lines.
Her feat makes your alpha strike bigger and better or an assassination run more reliable. If it has a downside it’s that it slows you down slightly if you are playing on a clock. It’s quite a universal buff and no one will dislike it,but it comes into its own with sprays, AOEs and crit effects, as it makes them marginally easier to land.
You'll cast Star-Crossed almost every turn and Soothing Song as needed. Misfortune is expensive for a POW 12 with no AOE, but it does knock down the target if you deal damage.
If you need to put Bullet Dodger on Calandra herself, you're losing anyway. The best use of the spell is to take a key model from the average Trollblood DEF 12 to DEF 14 so that Star-Crossed can protect it much better. So put Bullet Dodger on the warbeast or solo who is most in danger and/or most key to your plan at the time. Ideally, that's not Mulg though, as his DEF is too low to fully benefit. However, a Mauler or Bomber would be great, and an Earthborn Dire Troll near water goes up to DEF 16. Key solos like your Runebearer or Fell Caller can be worth casting it on. Valka, Braylen, and Horthol are quite capable combatants on their own, but any of them can be a terror with Bullet Dodger. Skaldi is a unit attachment, but any friendly faction model is a valid target.
Befuddle is great fun and can often swing the whole game. While it can't target casters directly, it can still open lanes to them or line up slams by putting models in just the right spot, for example. Since you're often using it on low-DEF targets, look for opportunities for the Runebearer to cast it via Spell Slave.
NOTE: Star-Crossed is much better once your DEF values go higher than 12. This is because 6 and 7 are by far the most common values for MAT, as are 5 and 6 for RAT. MAT 7 needs a 5 to hit DEF 12, which will still succeed almost two-thirds of the time even under Star-Crossed. However, when your opponent needs a 6 or 7 to hit, the spell will have a much bigger impact. Rolling 7 or higher on two dice is better than even odds at 58%, but with Star-Crossed, that same attack plummets to a 32% chance to hit. The jump from DEF 12 to DEF 13 is already one of the most important in the game, but under Star-Crossed that takes a 64% chance down to 48% and that is quite significant too.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Everyone hates playing against Calandra - dice manipulation is really obnoxious to play into.
- She is mainly a support warlock who can't really deal damage on her own. Her army does all of the heavy lifting.
- DEF 14, ARM 14 means she needs to be protected, or she needs to keep Bullet Dodger on herself.
- Because she works well with everything she's seldom as effective as a warlock focused on running what you want to do in specific. Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain is basically just plain better for leading troops like Trollkin Champions, and for warbeasts, she's no Doomshaper.
- Star-Crossed can make things difficult for units and unboostable attacks, but charging cavalry, boosting warbeasts and warjacks, as well as spell-casters and any RAT/MAT buff or DEF debuff can usually defeat the spell's defensive benefit.
Tricks & Tips
- She's pretty straightforward, and one of the good beginner warlocks in Trollbloods.
List Building Advice
Her main win condition is using Star-Crossed and Befuddle to gain the upper hand on attrition, but she can sometimes open up surprising assassination vectors and sudden scenario victories. She wants models/units with high DEF to better leverage Star-Crossed.
The more dice a model throws around, the more mileage it gets from Calandra's feat and Fate Blessed ability. So look for Weapon Masters, sprays, multiple attacks, and so on. The Champs and Fire Eaters are prime choices.
Calandra can easily run a lot of light warbeasts, because of high FURY and Soothing Song.
- There are several high-DEF models (high for Trolls, at least) in this theme: Northkin Raiders, Northkin Fire Eaters, Trollkin Champions, Pyg Lookouts.
- A Northkin Shaman can hold a flag, place clouds to help protect himself or Calandra, and turn into a murder machine on her feat turn.
- Another theme with lots of high-DEF models: Most of the ones already mentioned in Storm of the North, plus Trollkin Highwaymen and several Pyg units.
- General 'Thunderstone' Brug - Pygs are naturally high def but if you really want to win in an attrition shooting match dug in DEF 17 Pyg Bushwhackers is the way to do it.
- Dozer & Smigg can give rerolls to War Wagons which stacked with Calandra's feat to make them deceptively accurate.
- Dhunian Knot have DEF 13
- The Northkin Shaman mentioned above can also be taken in this theme.
- Trollkin Runeshapers can reach DEF 16 with Dig In.
- Mulg the Ancient allows her to channel Befuddle - and it's an excellent spell to channel.
- Farrow Brigands - while dug in they have a great defence that star crossed improves.
- Farrow Valkyries - have Def13 and without the Runebearer you will need to be slightly further forward so shield guard helps.
- General Brug and Pyg models also live in this theme
- Razor Boars - Def13 and soothing song helps keep them in check with low fury investment.
- The Krielstone - She is an excellent user of the Krielstone. She can easily load it up turn one and then it can keep itself topped off.
- Trollkin Runebearer extends her control range by 2", allowing Star-Crossed to reach more enemy models, and can also cast Befuddle in a pinch, or more often hang behind her and using Harmonious Exaltation to reduce the cost of one of her spells.
- Dhunian Archon - add to the frustration of trying to kill her infantry.
- Star Crossed is Minion-friendly, so any and all Minion models/units with high DEF synergise with her.
- The Earthborn Dire Troll and Swamp Troll can get their own DEF higher than 12, if only situationally.
- The Swamp Troll can penalize the attack rolls of other living models by handing out Concealment
- The Earthborn also functions as a great workhorse heavy with some damage buffs.
- Add in Bullet Dodger and the Sea King's animus for a readily available pool of shallow water, and all of a sudden you get a DEF16 warbeast, who can dodge most of the incoming attacks - especially under Star-Crossed.
- The Dire Troll Bomber generates lots of fury and uses lots of dice.
Released in Hordes: Metamorphosis (2009)
Other Trollblood models
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)