|We have 1265 articles and 88% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Caine's Hellslingers |
Caine’s Hellslingers has developed a reputation as one of the toughest and deadliest outfits in western Immoren. Comprised of former Black 13th gun mages Lieutenant Darsey Ryan and Sergeant Samuel Watts as well as the renegade warcaster Allister Caine himself, this trio has gunned down scores of opponents. Their intelligence, expertise, and lethality make them a force to be reckoned with.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Caine3
- 3 List Building Advice - Cygnar
- 4 List Building Advice - Mercenary
- 5 Other
- The unit consists of Caine, Watts, and Ryan. Watts and Ryan are trooper models, but are not Grunt models.
- Mercenary - Will work as a Cygnar. Since he is a Partisan, he can be included in a Cygnar army without it needing to be a 2+ caster game (unlike other Merc warcasters)
- Partisan [Cygnar] - When included in a Cygnar army, this model/unit is a Cygnar model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Warcaster Unit - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. Furthermore, this warcaster comes with some troopers that can be ordered around. (Click the link for a full rundown.)
- Spellstorm Pistol (x2) - 12" range, POW 12 guns.
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Witch Mark - If this attack hits an enemy model during this model's activation, until the end of that activation this model can target and automatically hit that enemy model with spells, ignoring RNG and LOS.
- Blast - This attack becomes AOE 3.
- Black Penny - This attack ignores the target in melee DEF bonus.
- Reload  - This model can spend 1 focus point to make one additional ranged attack with this weapon during its Combat Action.
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
|Target model/unit suffers -2 DEF & ARM.|
|Place models in the spellcaster's unit anywhere completely within 2" of their current locations. Models are not affected while out of formation. Flicker can be cast only once per activation.|
|The spellcaster spends up to 3 focus points to cast Locomotion. Target warjack in the spellcaster's battlegroup immediately advances up to 1" for each focus point spent. A warjack can be targeted by Locomotion only once per activation.|
| Mage Sight
|Place a 5" AOE completely within the spellcaster's control range. While a model is within the AOE, models in the spellcaster's battlegroup ignore forests and cloud effects when drawing LOS to it and ignore Stealth when attacking it.|
Feat : Reap the Whirlwind
While in Caine's control range, models in his battlegroup gain a +1 cumulative bonus on ranged attack and ranged damage rolls for each other model in his battlegroup that hit an enemy model with a ranged attack this turn while in Caine's control range. This cumulative bonus cannot exceed +3. Reap the Whirlwind lasts for one turn.
- Gunfighter - As above
- Magelock Rifle - 14" range, POW 10 gun
- Gunfighter - As above
- Magelock Pistol (x2) - 10" range, POW 10 guns
- Attack Type - As above
- Black Penny - As above
- Brutal Damage - As above
- Shadow Fire - Targets hit do not block LOS for one turn.
- Attack Type - As above
Thoughts on Caine3
Caine3 in a nutshell
Caine's Hellslingers are a unit made of the Caine we all know and love, and 2 members of the Black 13th. Caine3 is a ranged battlegroup caster who wants as many warjack shots going down range each turn as possible. Caine3 is both a Mercenary and Cygnar caster. He is considered questionable in Mercenaries because Mercenaries have no cheap ranged warjacks to compare to Cygnar's Chargers.
In Cygnar he definitely feels right at home compared to mercs, since he runs Heavy Metal with all the ranged jacks he can find decently well, however there are better casters for Heavy Metal, like Nemo3 or Sloan, so he's never seen competitively. Cygnar Caine3 also benefits enormously from the Squire and Arlan Strangewayes. Merc Caine has to stick to the Galleon and Swabbers plus Ace. Caine's Hellslingers are built around a massive alpha strike with serious assassination potential, and will either kill the opposing caster, wipe out huge portions of the opposing army on the feat turn, or lose.
He made a very brief splash when he came out before becoming fairly obsolete due to his limited tools.
Caine3's feat is very similar to the spell Synergy but for ranged weapons, so all battlegroup models (including Ryan and Watts) get an attack and damage buff that starts at 0 and increases when they hit enemies at range, up to +3. As the feat is dependent on models hitting, not attacks hitting, the Hellslingers can get Caine up to +2/+2. Then assuming Caine also hits (as if he'll miss!), his warjacks will start their activations with a +3 bonus ready to go.
- Calamity is a fairly common spell for Caine to cast. Using Witch Mark to land it keeps him 2" further back than the spell's range, but still puts him forward with low focus. This spell makes everything better, but it's fraught with risk.
- Flicker is normally used to keep Caine safe(ish) at the end of the turn by moving him (and his two accomplices) behind a solid obstacle, but can also be used to extend the assassination threat to 21 inches or put his unit into position for his feat.
- Locomotion is poor value most of the time - and really effective at the right moment. It does allow you to have a jack stand still and aim that would otherwise need to walk to be in range. You can also use it to pull your ranged jacks just out of threat range, once they shot (though you might have some order-of-activation troubles on feat turn)
- Mage Sight lets you shoot things you otherwise couldn't. When you need it, it's really useful. This spell prevents him from being totally worthless against armies with stealth and clouds.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Ryan and Watts have a much lower DEF than Caine. If your opponent can target them with a unit-wide debuff spell (such as Freezing Grip), Caine can end up being vulnerable.
- Caine is short of defensive tech and doesn't have a great range. Unlike his first and second incarnations, he lacks spells to teleport far away after shooting, lacks Caine2's true sight and Heightened Reflexes, and cannot increase his DEF. This means he dies. A lot. He either wins big or he dies.
- He blows all his focus quite often.
- Any army with strong ranged defense is a very tough out.
- He depends heavily on Calamity and simply doesn't have the focus to cast it and run a large battlegroup. Yet his feat demands you bring a large battlegroup or else he has a lousy feat. Army composition is a tricky proposition.
Tricks & Tips
- The strongest Caine3 armies usually have a bunch of Chargers and often a Hurricane. They are always in the Heavy Metal theme list for a free Arlan and Squire to get two extra focus. If the opposing caster starts the turn in range of enough of your guns, they're probably dead as line of sight is only an issue if a building is in the way.
- Boomhowler2 can grant his unit Reposition 3" allowing him to back off to safety.
List Building Advice - Cygnar
Caine's army support is very poor. This is because his feat is very strong. His army should be built to maximize the effectiveness of his feat turn because if that doesn't inflict massive damage or kill the opposing caster, he's in rough shape.
If an enemy warcaster wanders within 21" of Caine, they are in your kill zone, but he is going to need his focus badly. The best warjack for him to use is probably the Charger. His most dangerous lists are Heavy-Metal with all the Chargers you can fit, though the Hurricane is also popular. Caine and his unit start the Synergy chain and he will cast Mage Sight, Flicker, Calamity or allocate depending on what is needed to maximize the feat. His battlegroup should then inflict maximum damage on the opposing army. The feat turn generally results in a massive attrition swing for Caine, a dead caster, or it leaves Caine very vulnerable and he gets killed by whatever is left, or it fails to inflict enough damage to matter.
Post-feat, Caine is hanging his hat on Calamity to mop up whatever's left.
Cygnar Theme Thoughts
Caine likes these models, which are grouped here because they can go in 3+ themes.
- Journeyman Warcaster - Caine and Co. are still super squishy, and Arcane Shield helps bump their arm up to "no longer fearing blast damage"
- Watch out, Junior's jack doesn't benefit from the feat
- Captain Arlan Strangewayes - Caine will probably have a lot of jacks running around, so extra focus is always helpful.
- Squire - Caine is focus strapped
As mentioned above, this should be Caine's preferred home when playing as a Cygnarian.
- Thunderhead - Thunderhead's Energy Pulse is considered a ranged attack, and so will fully benefit from the feat bonus. A very expensive warjack, but a great option if you absolutely have to kill everything that comes close to it. He does gobble focus when shooting, and Caine is almost always running on empty.
- Archduke Alain Runewood -Can give Caine and his compatriots Pathfinder, and can auto stand them up if knocked down. Pathfinder is VERY useful for his unit.
- Storm Lances - Storm Lances love a DEF and ARM debuff, making their guns RAT 7 POW 14s and all of the Electroleaps POW 12s. Add in Laddermore and a Firefly for it to get REALLY ridiculous.
- Trencher Infantry - Trenchers are strong independent units that don't need no warcaster to support them, which is good, since Caine has none to offer for them. Except Calamity which can help their middling offensive potential actually threaten unbuffed heavies. Caine will be very vulnerable as he's casting his spells, and so he greatly appreciates the cloud templates that they bring. They can also help reload any Grenadiers you might be bringing!
- Rangers - You're going to be doing a lot of shooting, and +2 RAT is always helpful, ensuring that basically everything will only miss on a double 1.
- Grenadier - With Trenchers, that's three AOE shots per turn from a light jack.
- Gun Mage Captain Adept - Flare can help keep Caine from having to spend to cast mage sight, and more shadow fire means you can strike at the squishy stuff hiding in the back.
- Ragman - What's better than a 5 point arm swing? A 7 point arm swing! If you can line it up right, it means that Chargers can hit at an effective POW 19 (+3 POW for feat, -2 Arm for Calamity, -2 Arm for Death Field) The Ragman does require something to be in melee with the target for Death Field to work, so the warjacks will be taking a -4 to hit, bringing their effective RAT bonus to a +1 (+3 Feat, +2 Calamity, -4 shooting into melee).
- Ace - Ace is bonded to Caine, so they can go together in any theme.
- Cyclone - With Calamity and feat turn, a Cyclone can push up to 6 RAT 11 POW 17 shots! The Cyclone is the most cost effective warjack for Caine3 in terms of sheer firepower.
- Charger - 1 focus - 2 full boosted POW 17 shots (feat + Calamity). More reliable than a Cyclone, and you can bring a ton of them.
- Hunter - Armor Piercing Pow 11 shots (feat + Calamity). A good thing to keep in mind is that Armor Piercing is calculated from the BASE stat. With full Synergy and aim you are unlikely to need a boost on attack letting you boost damage and making these very cost efficient.
- Sentinel - Generally there to catch a bullet for the Hellslingers.
- Minuteman - That's two POW 17 shots. 19 with Calamity! Ouch!
- Hurricane - Between Caine's feat, a Firefly and Calamity, you have the equivalent of POW23 Storm Emitters.
List Building Advice - Mercenary
His strategy remains largely unchanged, it's just the tools he uses to achieve it that change.
Mercenary Theme Thoughts
Irregulars has the most ARM debuffs, but less focus support than Soldiers of Fortune.
- Caine3 does nothing to help units beyond Calamity, which helps just about all the Merc units equally.
- Kayazy Eliminators are excellent for getting around and keeping him in scenario if needed.
- Idrian Skirmishers are also notable as a self sufficient unit that can shoot down heavies when calamity is stacked with their prey bonus.
- Steelhead Halberdiers Have the numbers and accuracy to benefit from Calamity.
- Orin Midwinter - He keeps Caine from getting assassinated by spells.
- Ragman - Same reasons as stated in the Cygnar section, above.
- Gorman - He can put a cloud in front of Caine so he doesn't get killed. He also provides extra utility with his bombs.
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - You have two great spellstorm pistols and you really want to shoot them as much as possible
- Alexia2 - Her Thralls are much scarier at MAT 8, POW 12.
- Boomhowler2 gives him Repo 3", which is extremely important for staying safe.
- Hermit of Henge Hold drops the ARM of his targets at range and can also get further up the table with Boomhowler2's help.
- Widget gets you a free shot every turn.
Llaelese Resistance might appear to be a tempting choice for Caine3 so he can get the Choir to buff his jacks, but the list lacks focus efficiency.
- You probably want the Choir of Menoth to further increase the damage output of his ranged jacks or keep them safe from incoming fire.
- The other pick should be something self-sufficient, speedy and hard-hitting like Exemplar Vengers. Exemplar Errants' command attachment now provides an accuracy buff and are worth considering as well.
Soldiers of Fortune provides the best focus support and the most assassination potential with bulldozing cavalry and power lifter tricks, but has no ARM debuffs besides besides Rust Bomb.
- Steelhead Arcanist provides Empower for a bit more warjack focus efficiency. Bringing three would not be unreasonable
- Steelhead Ironhead - threat ranges are nice to play with. You'll want one.
- Steelhead Halberdiers are as ever excellent and cheap. Especially backed by Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye
- Boomhowler2 should probably be the first free solo you pick.
- Ace is his pet warjack so he can take it in any theme, even though Ace is a Cygnar warjack. Note that Ace will remain a Cygnar warjack in every Mercenary army except the Llaelese Resistance.
- Galleon - The Galleon is a possible pick. If you roll 2 shots on his feat turn, that's too bad. Your best bet is to bring Dougal for Double Powder Ration, hope you roll high for everything and catch the opposing caster within 21". Incidentally, Bart's Galleon puts out Caine3 feat levels of damage every turn and is ARM 22 to boot.
- Swabber - the new mercenary warjack is possibly an even better option than the Galleon - with two guns, and the second one having a drag effect attached. Shield Guard also helps, and the Swabber is tough. It's just a bit pillow fisted so you need to bring something else to actually finish off enemy heavies. It also brings survivability in the form of Lash and Girded. It is hampered by its short range. Dougal can help with this in Irregulars.
- Vanguard - While not ordinarily known for its ranged presence, it's tied with Ace as the cheapest merc jack with a gun that does damage, and shield guards are helpful for the galleon and caine himelf.
- Rocinante is a fantastic jack every turn, though only has one shot to take advantage of the feat.
- Mariner - It's 2 points cheaper than Rocinante and shoots a bit further. Still not what Caine's going for.
- Blockader - It has a lot of sprays to do a lot of work on his feat turn. Probably more than any other warjack he can bring. Its damage output can be further enhanced by the Hermit, Choir and the Menite Archons.
- Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Cygnar Command (2017).
- This is Caine's incarnation after he left the Cygnaran Reconnaissance Service and the Cygnaran Army for good. He directly disobeyed his superior, Scout General Rebald, the head of CRS. Caine was tasked with hunting down Vinter's bastard son Julius for over a decade, but when he finally had a perfect opportunity for assassination he passed due to actually having a conscience. He then quit due to Rebald unscrupolus nature, after delivering Julius to Leto. Why he would still be allowed to command Cygnaran forces has not yet been explained as he is currently wanted dead by Rebald.
Warjacks he can take
When the Hellslingers are included in a Cygnar army Caine has access to the full range of Cygnar warjacks, but he cannot include any Mercenary warjacks in his battlegroup.
When the Hellslingers are included in a Mercenary army Caine has to choose from the "Human" Mercenary warjacks shown below, but he cannot include any Cygnar warjacks in his battlegroup.
Either way, he can always take his pet warjack Ace. Note however, that although Partisan makes Caine swap Factions, Ace remains a Cygnar model in all armies except the Llaelese Resistance.
|Mercenary Warjacks (Human) (Edit)|
|Light||Buccaneer - Renegade (Magnus only) - Scallywag - Swashbuckler - Talon - Vanguard|
|Heavy||Freebooter - Gallant - Mangler - Mariner - Mule - Nomad - Rocinante - Rover - Toro - Swabber|
|Colossal||Blockader - Galleon|
Other Faction models
Video Battle Reports
- None yet
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Rules Clarification : Caine3
Rules Clarification : Warcaster Unitor Warlock Unit (Edit)
Gunfighter + an AOE weapon
Gunfighter + a spray weapon
Units of Gunfighters