Brigadier General Gunnbjorn
|We have 1327 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Brigadier General Gunnbjorn |
Rules subject to change.
This is a new model, and the information here is what was given on day 1 of the CID cycle
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Gunnbjorn2
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
Feat - Bombing Run
Gunnbjorn and friendly Faction models beginning their activation in Gunnbjorn’s control range gain Reposition [3”] and their ranged weapons gain Full Force. Bombing Run lasts for one turn.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Template:Full Force - AOE weapons do full POW instead of blast damage.
- Battle Plan - This model can use one of the following plans at any time during its activation. A friendly Faction model/unit can be affected by only one plan each turn.
- Liberty Rifle - 12" range, POW 12 ranged attack
- Axe - 0.5" reach, POW 4, P+S 11 melee attack.
|Target friendly Faction model's ranged weapons gain Damage Type: Magical. If the affected model directly hits and boxes an enemy model with an attack from a ranged weapon, center a 3" AOE on the boxed model, then RFP that model. Models in the AOE are hit and suffer an unboostable POW 8 magical blast damage roll.
Template:Expose - Enemy models in his control range lose, and cannot gain, Stealth and Sheild Guard
|Place a 5" AOE anywhere completely within Siege's control range where it does not touch a model's base, an obstruction, or an obstacle. Models completely within the AOE have cover and do not suffer blast damage. When drawing LOS to a model not completely within the AOE, ignore intervening models completely within the AOE.|
- Band of Heroes. In this theme he gains "Optional Take Down".
- Kriel Company
- Power of Dhunia. In this theme he can start the game with friendly upkeeps in play.
- Storm of the North. In this theme he can upkeep spells on (almost) any friendly model for free.
- Vengeance of Dhunia
Thoughts on Gunnbjorn2
New model - This article is a Work In Progress
Please don't delete this warning unless you (1) have played several games with the final rules (games with CID rules don't really count) and (2) you've reviewed this article and it mostly(★) matches your experiences.
(★) Bearing in mind that other editors may make suggestions you don't think are the "best" but that doesn't make them "wrong". Don't delete stuff just because you disagree with it, please.
Gunnbjorn2 in a nutshell
Gunnbjorn 2 has, much like his initial iteration, a strong ranged combat element to his design and overall gameplan. However, unlike Gunnbjorn 1, Gunnbjorn 2 is almost exclusively about ranged combat. He loses the versatility of spells such as Rock Wall and a more defensive feat to become laser focused on doing one thing and doing it incredibly well: blowing stuff up from afar. This is the core of his design. Gunnbjorn 2 is THE ranged powerhouse of Trolls, but pays for it in a lack of any melee oriented utility, and Foxhole and Repo [3"] (on feat turn) as his only defensive tech.
Gunnbjorn also has a list of unique Battle Plans, which act as his "fifth free spell", and all three of them are very strong. Bring it Down is especially potent on weapon Crews such as the Razorback in the new theme force, since the crew can run into position and be told to shoot (fully boosted) by Gunnbjorn and then shoot AGAIN with a Gunnery Sergeant. Relay Coordinates is the most situational of the three abilities but still has plenty of strong application, and Unload allows any warbeast to get an extra shot with its ranged weapons during its turn. Note that no trollblood warbeast currently has more than one ranged weapon, but in the future this ability could give a beast more than 1 shot if its packing more weapons.
His feat, Bombing Run, allows your army to bypass so many rules that could potentially prevent blast damage (such as Girded, trenches, etc) while cranking all that damage up to its full POW. There is counterplay to this feat, primarily your opponent spreading their forces out to try to minimize your AOE potential, but this means your opponent is positioning turn to turn based on your potential offensive output, which can greatly hinder their scenario play. Even with proper positioning, you can still run a friendly model up next to something you really need to destroy and blast your ally in the back to get the full AOE damage on an enemy caster or key model.
Gunnbjorn's spell list contains two new spells. First is Relentless Barrage, which is the Hordes version of Open Fire from Warmachine. Second is Expose, which is a powerhouse spell that requires Gunnbjorn to put himself into a potentially dangerous position to get the most use out of. Expose flat out turns off Shield Guard and Stealth on all enemy models in Gunnbjorn's control range, but that means Gunnbjorn has to be a bit up the board to get the most out of it. It's a tricky spell, its great when you need it, but if you fail to kill what you were Exposing you can find youself in a lot of trouble.
Drawbacks & Downsides
Tricks & Tips
List Building Advice
- Barrage Team - They shoot far, they shoot well, and they can be Lucky Shot to RAT 8.
- The weapon crews, the Pummeler Crew especially, really love the feat and Bring it down!
- Thunderstone is an absolute auto-include with him, Target Aquired is a really good Plan for Gunny himself or any of his troops, on feat turn especially.
- Gunnery Sergeant - More buffs for weapon crews!
- Troll Whelps - Your cheapest sources for Mark Target.
- Pyg Tanks and Ledfoot & Tredz bring some significant mobility to your list and their guns still benefit from the feat.
- Kriel Stone +2 ARM is still really good on War Wagons, Tanks and Barrage Teams (who are multi wound models).
- Northkin Raiders and a Hooch Hauler can be a cute combo on his feat turn: Oil something up with the Cask Bomb, then have the Raiders and Pyre Trolls throw bombs at it. Due to the feat everything under their templates will take a boosted POW 12.
Vengeance of Dhunia
Attuned Spirit is really good as it allows him to cast one animus for free each turn, usually Far Strike or Lucky Shot. The lack of the runebearer hurts him badly though.
- Splatter Boar - Basically Lucky Shot on a stick and it has a great AOE gun to boot. Use these to cast Lucky Shot on Barrage Teams then light' em up!
- He has access to one more Weapon Crew here: The Razorback Crew.
- Unsuprisingly he's a fan of the Dire Troll Bomber.
- Dozer & Smigg his pet warbeast (and its resident rider). Lucky Shot is an amazing animus for the stuff Gunnbjorn synergies with and boosted POW 10 blast damage outside of feat turn is amazing, too (note the feat says the models no longer deal blast damage, so Dozer cannot make use of his bond during that time).
- Pyre Troll - After CID it will be ROF 2 natively with its AOE gun and packs a melee damage buff for any model in its Animus.
Other Trollblood models
Note to self: I need to update this rules section after the rules are finalised - juckto.