|As of 2022.08 Warmachine University has turned into an archive for Mk3 rules (3rd Edition).|
Refer to the Privateer Press website for all modern Mk4 (4th Edition) related content.
This site has been kept online for any players who want to continue using Mk3 rules and/or anyone who wants to compare Mk4 Legacy models to Mk3 models.
More information can be found on the Talk:Main Page area of this wiki.
| Boss MacHorne |
Mark IV Status: Limbo - This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.12. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
As the former leader of the Devil Dogs mercenary company, Sam MacHorn is known for two things: wrecking face and getting paid! And with her custom-built Ironhead suit, she’s ready to put in some overtime!
Riot Quest - Although this model has rules which allow it to be played in Warmachine and Hordes, it was primarily designed for the Riot Quest boardgame. RQ is set in an alternate and/or future timeline where the Infernals won the war. Some of the RQ models are slightly more goofy than their WMH equivalents.
- 'Jack Marshal
- Dismantle - This model gains an additional die on damage rolls against construct models.
- Drive: Dismantle - While in this model's command range, a warjack under its control gains Dismantle (as above).
- Repairable - This model can be targeted with Repair special actions as if it were a construct model.
|Rocket Punch (x2)|
- Other Factions
- Mercenary models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
- Aside from that, there are a few themes that will change what Faction this model counts as (and thus what "friendly Faction only" buffs it can receive). They are:
Thoughts on MacHorne2
MacHorne2 in a nutshell
She's a decent combat solo and a decent 'jack marshal, especially vs construct models (which most enemy armies have, even the Hordes ones). Really, she is yet another attempt to get folks to try jack marshaling - the incentive is to bring her in Irregulars with a marshalled warjack to leverage Dismantle and Flank for massive damage on construct models.
Combos & Synergies
- In The Irregulars, she can marshal a warjack which, without any other help, will have no problems absolutely wrecking any construct that crosses it's path. The theme force gives marshalled warjacks Flank with warrior models, and her drive gives it an additional D6. Thanks to her 3" melee range she is able to set up said Flank bonus quite easily.
- A Mangler charges for free and, on the charge, will deal P+S 18+5(!)D6 damage, assuming MacHorne or another warrior is engaging the target.
- If immortals got you down, try a Mariner. The extra die from Dismantle applies to ranged attack damage rolls and AOE damage rolls as well, so the Mariner can mince Immortals both in melee and at range.
- General Ossrum can cast FFE on her Mariner, making for some very dangerous shooting into all forms of Constructs
- Shae still loves himself some marshalled Freebooters, and Freebooters under Sam will be the hardest hitting you can field (against constructs which is what Shae struggles most with). She also makes for a good Storm Rager target and the combostrike even knocks down targets for the Freebooter to Trash.
- When if comes to marshaling, Lanyssa, Bamfist, Widget and even Asphyxious4 (possibly with a Diffuser) support the jacks very well, handing out threat extention and free charges, focus, extra attacks, and Flank enablers with Dark Shroud.
- She (and her past self) are the only jack marshals in Llaelese Resistance, where her jack can receive Choir buffs. Just keep in mind that there is no way to make jacks charge for free in LR, so you need to give her a ranged jack or a Mangler if you ever want to make the most of her jack marshalling, which is a costly endeavour.
- Ashlynn2 wants her as a feat target so she can slam somebody towards her army. Works best if you also have Anastasia to let Sam move before she activates. Note that she does not retake control over her jack after you brought her back.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- The usefulness of Dismantle depends entirely on what the lists of your enemies look like. If you exclusively face Hordes armies without Malvin & Mayhem, Clockatrices, Wolds, Immortals, Battle Engines and the like, she effectively got no drive unless your jack goes after the enemy Objective. Thankfully the chances for that are slim.
Tricks & Tips
- Unless you try to set up a slam and/or knock down, two rocket punches will likely yield more damage against a construct than a single combo smite.
- Released 2019.11
- Her armour is based on a Ironhead
- On her thigh armour she has a plush ‘Devil Dog’; an homage to her old mercenary company.
Warjacks she can take
With the way Mercenary battlegroups work, this model can't simply control any Mercenary warjack, and instead is limited to the following choices:
|Mercenary Warjacks (Human) (Edit)|
|Light||Buccaneer - Renegade (Magnus only) - Scallywag - Swashbuckler - Talon - Vanguard|
|Heavy||Freebooter - Gallant - Mangler - Mariner - Mule - Nomad - Rocinante - Rover - Toro - Swabber|
|Colossal||Blockader - Galleon|
- Note: Other restrictions may apply, such as 'Jack Marshals can't control Colossals, character warjacks aren't allowed in most theme forces, etc.
Other Theme Forces
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Retribution of Scyrah (Edit)
Other Mercenary models