Boomhowler, Solo Artist
|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Boomhowler, Solo Artist |
Mercenary, & Minion, & Trollblood Partisan, Trollkin Character Solo
This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.12. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
You can view the Mk3 models that have been updated on this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
Once the leader of the infamous mercenary band, Boomholwer & Co., Greygore Boomhowler struck out as a solo act—no, like he actually struck out—until he found an instrument that truly spoke to him: a chain gun!
Riot Quest - Although this model has rules which allow it to be played in Warmachine and Hordes, it was primarily designed for the Riot Quest boardgame. RQ is set in an alternate and/or future timeline where the Infernals won the war. Some of the RQ models are slightly more goofy than their WMH equivalents.
Mercenary - This model will work for Crucible Guard, Cryx, Cygnar, or Khador.
Minion - This model will work for Trollbloods.
- Partisan [ Trollblood ] - When included in a Trollblood army, this model/unit is a Trollblood model/unit instead of a Minion/Mercenary model/unit.
- Fell Calls - This model can make one of the following calls at any time during its activation. A friendly Faction model/unit can be affected by only one call each turn.
- Cacophony - While in this model's command range, enemy models/units cannot cast spells or be used to channel spells. Cacophony lasts for one round.
- Cry of Defiance - RNG 5. Target friendly Faction warrior model/unit. If the model/unit is in range, affected models do not lose Tough while knocked down. Cry of Defiance lasts for one round.
- Special Orders - RNG 5. Target friendly Faction model/unit. If the model/unit is in range, it gains Reposition [3"] for one turn. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, a model with Reposition [3"] can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Soldiers of Fortune. He gains Mark Target in this theme.
- The Irregulars
- The Kingmaker's Army. He gains Feign Death in this theme.
- As a Minion solo he can go in every theme, but he'll use your "Up to one Minion solo" slot most of the time.
- Band of Heroes. He gains "Optional Take Down".
- Kriel Company. Boomhowler doesn't use up your Minion slot in this theme. Also, he gains Mark Target.
- Power of Dhunia
- Storm of the North. He becomes Northkin and gains Immunity: Cold.
- Vengeance of Dhunia. No limit on Minion slots in this theme.
- Other Factions
- Mercenary/Minion models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
Thoughts on Boomhowler2
Boomhowler2 in a nutshell
Boomhowler2 brings two main abilities to the table, Reposition and Cacophony, a niche anti-knockdown ability, and lastly he is an okay "ranged control" solo.
- Special Orders is considered his best ability, it is "Reposition on a stick", and most units will appreciate the extra move - ranged units especially so.
- Cacophony lets you shut down enemy spellcasting which can be super important in some matchups, for instance vs Agathon.
- His gun's low POW means he's not a raw damage dealer like most combat solos, but the gun's utility makes up for raw power. Covering Fire and Beat Back means he can contribute to your scenario game by messing with the enemy's position.
Note that when he works outside of Merc/Minions/Trolls, most things in the army will be a different Faction. So he won't be able to use his best ability, Special Orders, unless there is a Mercenary/Minion unit working alongside him. Still his other abilities are good enough that you should consider taking him.
Combos & Synergies
- Nyss Hunters are a ranged unit without the Reposition rule, so they appreciate Special Orders.
- Same goes for most units in Kriel Company.
- Ranged solos like Harlowe Holdemhigh or Gastone Crosse like Repo just as much.
- In Kingmakers, he can Special Order a unit of Trencher Infantry, so they can do a rolling cloudwall.
- Crosse2 loses out on his second best buddy Gibbs in Soldiers of Fortune. Greygore can fill in the role of giving him Reposition.
- As with Boomhowler1, MacBain can feat on him, have him yell cacophony and run to mute spellcasters.
- Units with Shield Wall like Precursor Knights love being able to advance and repo for an extra 3" of movement while still being able to benefit from the ARM buff.
- in Trolls Champions with Skaldi can use overtake and then reposition back to take advantage of defensive line.
- in Trolls the Krielstone is a great reposition target turn1 so it can use its special action and not tax your caster that much.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- The POW and RNG of his gun is flimsy.
- His CMD range is pretty low, meaning he has to be close to his Fell Call target, which will might get him killed.
- He is fairly easy to kill for 6 points.
- If you take him as a "real Merc" (ie in a non-Merc non-Minion non-Troll army), his Special Orders will have few valid targets.
Tricks & Tips
- Remember that beat back is optional - don’t advance into charge range
- Released 2019.07
Other Theme Forces
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Other Faction models
|Mercenary Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Lesser Warlocks||Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)|
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Alexia1 - Asphyxious4 - Croe's Cutthroats - Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters - Blythe & Bull - Boomhowler1 - Herne & Jonne - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus & Edrea - MacHorne1 - The Commodore Cannon - The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
Cephalyx Agitator - Death Archon - Gobber Tinker - Menite Archon - Morrowan Archon - Ogrun Bokur - Powder Monkey - SH Arcanist - SH Ironhead - SH Gunner - Swamp Gobber River Raider Thamarite Advocate - Thamarite Archon - Void Archon
Alexia2 - Alexia3 - Alten Ashley - Anastasia Di Bray - Balthazar Bamfist - Black Bella1 - Black Bella2 - Bloody Bradigan - Boomhowler2 - Boomhowler3 - Bosun Grogspar - Brun Cragback & Lug - Captain Crawtooth - Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Dez1 - Dez2 - Dirty Meg - Doc Killingsworth - Doctor Stygius - Eilish1 - Eiryss1 - Eiryss2 - Eiryss4 - First Mate Hawk - Flubbin1 - Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 - Flugwug the Filcher - Crosse1 - Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One - Gorman1 - Gorman2 - Grand Master Gabriel Throne - Gubbin1 - Gubbin2 - Gudrun1 - Gudrun2 - Harlan Versh, Illuminated One - Harlowe Holdemhigh - Hermit of Henge Hold - Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - J.A.I.M.s - Kell Bailoch - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Lord Rockbottom - MacHorne2 - Major Harrison Gibbs - Malvin2 - Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - Princess Delores Graciela - Ragman - Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - Rorsh & Brine - Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer - Savio Montero Acosta - Saxon Orrik - Scythe - Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye - Stannis Brocker - Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage - Thor Steinhammer - Tubbin - Underboss Vizkoya - Viktor Pendrake - Weird Wendell - Widget1 - Widget2 - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
|Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter|
|This index was last updated: 2021.11|
Rules Clarification : Boomhowler Partisan
Rules Clarification: : Partisan (Edit)
|Which Faction am I?
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Fell Calls (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Cacophony (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Call of Defiance and/or Cry of Defiance - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Special Orders (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Beat Back (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Covering Fire and/or Sustained Fire (Edit)
- Does NOT have Mk4 rules
- Riot Quest
- Crucible Guard Mercenary
- Cryx Mercenary
- Cygnar Mercenary
- Khador Mercenary
- Trollblood Minion
- Fell Calls
- Call of Defiance
- Special Orders
- Beat Back
- Covering Fire
- Critical Knockdown
- Soldiers of Fortune
- The Irregulars
- The Kingmaker's Army
- Vengeance of Dhunia
- Will Work for Food
- Band of Heroes
- Kriel Company
- Power of Dhunia
- Storm of the North
- Magnum Opus
- Black Industries
- Dark Host
- The Ghost Fleet
- Scourge of the Broken Coast
- Heavy Metal
- Sons of the Tempest
- Storm Division
- Armored Korps
- Jaws of the Wolf
- Legion of Steel
- Winter Guard Kommand