Theme - The Bones of Orboros
| Theme - The Bones of Orboros |
Since the order’s inception, the blackclads of the Circle Orboros have passed down the secrets of shaping and animating wood and stone to do their bidding as wolds. The product of ancient rites and blood sacrifices, these massive stone constructs patrol the old places of the world and ensure the sacred sites of the order remain untouched by outsiders, falling upon intruders without hesitation to crush them under fist and foot. The druids also summon forth these stone constructs to batter into submission those threats too large or well-defended to succumb to the Circle’s traditional hit-and-run tactics, using brute force to buckle the armor of machines and shatter the bones of great beasts.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on The Bones of Orboros
- 3 Other
An army made use the The Bones of Orboros theme force can include only the following Circle models:
- Circle warlocks
- Non-character Construct warbeasts
- Stone models/units
- Blackclad solos
- Circle structures
- Stoneward & Woldstalkers units
- Gallows Grove solos
- Celestial Fulcrum battle engines
- This army can also include one Minion solo and one Minion unit that will work for Circle.
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2019.07 (Edit)
- All Circle warlocks
- Construct non-character warbeasts
- Other character warbeasts can be taken (Construct or otherwise), but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Up to one solo
- Up to one unit
Technically Una1 is allowed in this theme, but as of the time of writing (2019.06) her Limited Battlegroup rule is incompatible with the theme's requirement for Construct warbeasts.
Each Requistion Point can be spent on either:
- Two Shifting Stones units
- One Sentry Stone & Mannikins unit
- Two Blackclad Stoneshaper solos
- Three Gallows Grove solos
- One other small- or medium-based Circle solo
- Before leeching during each of your Control Phases, you can remove up to 1 damage point from each Circle warbeast.
- Friendly models/units can begin the game affected by the upkeep spells of models in this army.
- These spells and their targets must be declared before either player deploys their models.
- Warlocks in this army do not have to pay fury to upkeep their spells during your first turn of the game.
- Note: As currently worded, lesser warlocks get to start with upkeeps in play, but have to pay for them. This may be a typo though.
2019.07 Theme Remix
- Game-wide Remix changes
- Gained the free upkeep benefit
- Lost the +2" deployment benefit
Thoughts on The Bones of Orboros
Bones of Orboros in a nutshell
This Circle theme force is sometimes known as the "Sticks and Stones" theme because it's made up entirely of druids and rocks. During most of 2016 and 2017 it wasn't considered very strong by players, but in November 2017 many of the models in the theme were buffed, and since then it's become more popular.
It's a pretty strong all-comers list, with WoldWights, Sentry Stones, and Wold Wardens able to maul infantry, while the Stoneshaper and both heavies maul heavies, and it has an impressive scenario presence.
List Building Tips
Most lists are battlegroup-heavy, with a couple of Sentry Stones for screening, some Shifting Stones for Fury management, and some Blackclad Wayfarers for threat range. The two Wold heavies are both good
The upgraded Celestial Fulcrum synergises exceptionally well with the theme force.
The requisition options are all excellent:
- Two Blackclad Stoneshaper solo, worth six points, are an obvious first pick and people were choosing them as the free solos in tournament winning lists at one per option.
- Two units of Shifting Stones are six points and most Bones lists used to include two units even when points were a little tighter.
- A Sentry Stone & Mannikins at five points is excellent to the point that at the start of Mk3, before the theme forces dropped, just about every single top tier Circle army included two. The only reason not to take a Sentry Stone as one of your requisition points is that you get more points from another option.
- Three Gallows Grove solos is generally overkill; before the Oblivion drop Wurmwood1 lists used to take two and Krueger2 lists one. If you were already going to take two, getting the third for one point by choosing this in place the Sentry Stone may be a pretty good choice.
- A solo just doesn't compete. A Blackclad Wayfarer or your third Blackclad Stoneshaper are excellent things to include in your list. But they are 4 and 3 points respectively, while the first three requisition options are auto-includes and 6, 6, and 5 points respectively.
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- 2* Blackclad Stoneshaper [Free]
- Baldur1 allows free charges and has a damage buff. Boosted Roots of Earth is a 3d6 crit knockdown, leading to assassinations. On the other hand his Solid Ground and providing cover belong to other lists so
- Baldur2 both allow free running and charging for beasts. Wold Wardens are going to mix Crevasse and just giving themselves Roots of Earth regardless of whether it's feat turn or not. This gets grindy.
- He can build a strong list around two Woldwraths.
- Bradigus Thorle the Runecarver is a pure construct warlock with Synergy, Rift, a mobility feat, and discounted animi.
- Krueger2 is a scenario caster and gives both Gallows and Lightning Storm.
- Krueger1 was an old solution to infantry-spam with Forked Lightning spam. Gale Winds and free forests combine to make our rocky beasts DEF 15 against incoming shooting.
- Tanith the Feralsong rifts all over everything which is medium AoEs to break infantry - and she scything touches to break armour.
- Mohsar the Desertwalker gets Crevice and can Gallows Grove a damage buff.
- Kaya3 has interesting options with Blood Spiller being cast by wardens and can Synergy. But Brad generally does the same thing better.
Warlocks to avoid
Other Circle models/themes
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]