This model is available in two Prime Armies, Soldiers of Fortune and Talion Charter. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
While colossals are costly to manufacture, Black Anchor Heavy Industries in Clocker’s Cove made a tidy profit on its initial Galleon colossal production runs and has subsequently sought to exploit that market by producing variants on that chassis for its wealthiest mercenary clients. The Blockader was built on a similar frame and engineered for a different battlefield role. Its chest-mounted gun ports were replaced with incendiary firebreathers, and its arms equipped with ingenious chain-tethered fists outfitted with propulsive rockets enabling them to crash into foes at a considerable distance. Refilling the incendiary fuel required for these weapons systems is not cheap, requiring smuggled overseen by bribed officials within the Protectorate of Menoth. Serving as the sole source of restock and repair for the Blockader brings Black Anchor a vital ongoing revenue stream.
Colossal - Colossals are mega-warjacks, even bigger and stompier. They use nearly all the same rules as normal warjacks but with a few alterations. These changes are summarized here or can be read in full here.
- Shooting Gallery - This model gains +2 to ranged attack rolls against models within 5" of it.
|Heavy Fire Breathers (x2)
|Rocket Fist (x2)
- Other Factions
- Convergence players can use this warjack in the Strange Bedfellows theme, or by putting it in Aurora2's, Asphyxious4's, or Nemo4's battlegroup in various themes.
- Cryx players can use this warjack by putting it in Asphyxious4's battlegroup in various themes.
- Cygnar players can use this warjack in the Flame in the Darkness theme, or by putting it in Nemo4's battlegroup in various themes.
- Infernal players can take this model in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Crosse2 is leading the army. This model gains Accumulator [Soulless] in this theme.
- Khador players can use this warjack in the Flame in the Darkness theme.
- Aside from that, Mercenary colossals can be taken in a few more Faction's themes by putting it under the control of a Mercenary "Junior Warcaster" (see #Who can take this warjack?). However the "Faction Type" of the warjack doesn't change when you do it this way.
Thoughts on the Blockader
Blockader in a nutshell
The Blockader is a smash machine that crushes intruders with its mighty rocket fists. It has very high POW weapons and an impressive 4" melee range but is hampered by MAT 6. The Blockader’s fists have Rocket Smash, which allows the Blockader to push its victims around - perhaps into range of the colossal’s allies -slam them into other models, and create many interesting plays.
Expanding its more close-ranged gameplay, the Blockader also has two of Fire Breathers, large sprays that can turn clumped enemy infantry to ash, especially thanks to Shooting Gallery, which makes the Blockader more accurate at close range.
Generally speaking, employing a colossal at close range - as this one is designed to do - most often results in a dead colossal that did not do 33 points worth of work. The colossals that see play tend to have powerful ranged games that let them stay back for a while. The Blockader tries to make up for this with a large number of sprays to help it get lots of work done before it gets punked out. And if you play it correctly, it certainly can. But have a care before sending it in. It will die faster than you would believe if you put it too forward too early.
That said, it's pretty solid compared to the Galleon. This is because it brings a native 12" melee threat range with extremely high POW, and this must be respected, especially in a faction with multiple casters that speed it up even more.
Combos & Synergies
- The Blockader is a big fan of Powder Monkeys, who can provide it with additional focus and Ancillary Attacks, allowing it to make an attack outside its normal activation - which, if a melee attack, can still push or slam the target but only has 2" range.
- Bart can make damage rolls from both of its 10" sprays boosted for damage, as well as bumping its armor for survivability.
- Macbain's Failsafe spell has no better target, both making the Blockader a tougher target to remove AND keeping it functional down to the very last box.
- Note - Running a jack and then casting jackhammer usually has a longer threat range than charging, however the two ranges are the same for the Blockader!
- Same goes for Magnus1's Death Ward spell, but Iron Aggression is tempting, too.
- Chain Strike applies even when making ranged attacks. This means that Ragman's Death Field or Asphyxious4s Malign Alignment can be used to turn the first 4" of the Blockader's sprays into POW 16s. As the close ranged fire will also be benefiting from Shooting Gallery these can be very deadly.
- Captain Rahera's Manifest Destiny spell combined with Escort makes this a fierce melee combatant, indeed. It can two-shot many heavies. Combine its sprays with Black Spot for some astonishing output.
- The Menite Archon has a damage buff for its sprays.
- Ashlynn1 makes it fast and deadly accurate on her feat turn. Distraction helps with high DEF warriors.
- Ashlynn2 can put Hand of Fate on it, which makes it a slower version of Rahera's Blockader, but won't cost you 3 focus to cast.
- Blaize has Fortune and Crusader's Call. Accurate attacks at high POW with yet another 14" charge.
- Magnus2 has Escort like Rahera and grants Unyielding.
- Shae gives it a free charge with a 14" threat under Coup De Main and Phantasm stops incoming fire.
- As with any huge base, it is very susceptible to spell debuffs. Orin1 or Alexia2 can stop these with Arcane Vortex. Eilish can disbind any upkeeps during your turn, but it's likely the damage will already be done that that point.
- As part of Asphyxious4 battle group it will not only gain Dark Shroud, it will also become the same faction as Gaspy, which opens up some neat combos when playing Cryx or Convergence:
- In the Cryxian Scourge of the Broken Coast theme force it gains Gang Fighter.
- Skarre2 - She has the much coveted Death Ward spell for it. Black Spot increases its output tremendously and under feat it cannot be charged.
- Orion - Magic Bullet, Mage Sight and Spell Piercer are all great buffs for it. Under feat it will also either become very accurate or very deadly.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Its 4" melee range means it can't aim if anything is in that range when it activates.
- As it's a short range colossal, especially if you want to get the Shooting Gallery bonus, it's a big target that is going to be in range of most of the opposing army's guns. It can go down surprising quickly when the opponent wants it destroyed.
- Only one spray on each side makes for puny ranged output. It's a face beater, first and foremost.
Tricks & Tips
- Chain Strike does not apply when you make a throw power attack. They're still just 2".
- The 2" push on the rocket fists can push models in any direction. This can be used to line up models for any lucky crits, to move models into threat range of the rest of your army, to move models out of zones or simply to stop the damn cockatrices from running away.
- Released in the Talion expansion (2019.05)
- This model is a BAHI model. It is not available in stores, it can only be purchased directly from PP's online store (or 2nd hand).
- Although this model is about 90% the same as the Galleon, they are sold as separate models.
Who can take this warjack?
The standard way to include a Mercenary warjack in your army is to put it under the control of one of these models. So first you need to figure out which of these models will work for your Faction.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Human) (Edit)
- Note: Other restrictions may apply (such as 'Jack Marshals can't control Colossals).
Other Mercenary models
Huge Base (Edit)
Also, simply being on a huge base triggers a bunch of rules scattered throughout the rulebook, click to read them. [Show/Hide]
From the 2020.02 edition of the core rules (Edit)