|We have 1219 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Locke (1 year review)||Suppresor (one year review)||Exemplar Bastion Seneschal (one year review)||Exemplar Errants (One one year review)|
| Blockader |
While colossals are costly to manufacture, Black Anchor Heavy Industries in Clocker’s Cove made a tidy profit on its initial Galleon colossal production runs and has subsequently sought to exploit that market by producing variants on that chassis for its wealthiest mercenary clients. The Blockader was built on a similar frame and engineered for a different battlefield role. Its chest-mounted gun ports were replaced with incendiary firebreathers, and its arms equipped with ingenious chain-tethered fists outfitted with propulsive rockets enabling them to crash into foes at a considerable distance. Refilling the incendiary fuel required for these weapons systems is not cheap, requiring smuggled overseen by bribed officials within the Protectorate of Menoth. Serving as the sole source of restock and repair for the Blockader brings Black Anchor a vital ongoing revenue stream.
Black Anchor Heavy Industries
See also Category: BAHI.
- Colossal - Colossals are giant warjacks, even bigger and stompier. They all share a stack of standard special rules (click the link for full details).
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Shooting Gallery - This model gains +2 to ranged attack rolls against models within 5" of it.
- Heavy Fire Breathers (x2) - 10" spray, ROF d3, POW 14 ranged attacks
- Rocket Fist (x2) - 2" reach (plus Chain Strike), POW 5, P+S 22 melee attacks
- Open Fist - This warjack/warbeast may make a Throw Power Attack.
- Chain Strike - This weapon becomes 4" reach during this model's activation.
- Rocket Smash - Enemy models hit can be pushed up to 2˝ in any direction. On a critical hit, instead of being pushed the model hit can be slammed d6˝ directly away from the Blockader. If the model hit has a larger base than the attacking model, it is moved only half the distance rolled. The POW of collateral damage is equal to the STR of this model.
- Flame in the Darkness. This warjack can be "shared" by Cygnar and Khador warcasters/marshals in this theme.
- Llaelese Resistance
- Soldiers of Fortune
- The Irregulars
- The Kingmaker's Army
- The Talion Charter
- Crosse1 can take this warjack in a bunch more themes.
- Hearts of Darkness. Only Crosse2 can take it in this theme. It becomes an Infernal warjack and gains Accumulator [Soulless] in this theme.
Thoughts on the Blockader
New model - This article is a Work In Progress
Please don't delete this warning unless you (1) have played several games with the final rules (games with CID rules don't count) and (2) you've reviewed this article and it mostly(★) matches your experiences.
(★) Bearing in mind that other editors may make suggestions you don't think are the "best" but that doesn't make them "wrong". Dont delete stuff just because you disagree with it, please.
Blockader in a nutshell
The Blockader is a smash machine that crushes intruders with its mighty rocket fists. It has very high POW weapons and an impressive 4" melee range but is hampered by MAT 6. The Blockader’s fists have Rocket Smash, which allows the Blockader to push its victims around, perhaps into range of the colossal’s allies, slam them into other models, and create many interesting plays.
Expanding its more close-ranged gameplay, the Blockader also has a suite of Firebreathers, large sprays that can turn clumped enemy infantry to ash, especially thanks to Shooting Gallery, which makes the Blockader more accurate at close range.
Generally speaking, employing a colossal at close range as this one is designed to do most often results in a dead colossal that did not do 33 points worth of work. The colossals that see play tend to have powerful ranged games that let them stay back for awhile. The Blockader tries to make up for this with a large number of sprays to help it get lots of work done before it gets punked out. But have a care before sending it in. It will die faster than you would believe if you put it too forward too early.
Combos & Synergies
- The Blockader is a big fan of Powder Monkeys, who can provide it with additional focus and Ancillary Attacks, allowing it to make an attack outside its normal activation - which, if a melee attack, can still push or slam the target.
- Bart can make every damage roll of its 2d3 10" sprays boosted for damage, as well as bumping its armor for survivability.
- Macbain's Failsafe spell has no better target, both making the Blockader a tougher target to remove AND keeping it functional down to the very last box.
- Note - Running a jack and then casting jackhammer usually has a longer threat range than charging, however the two ranges are the same for the Blockader!
- Same goes for Magnus1's Death Ward spell.
- It counts towards free cards in Talion Charter.
- Chain Strike applies even when making ranged attacks. This means that Ragman can be used to turn the first 4" of the Blockader's sprays into POW 16s. As the close ranged fire will also be benefiting from Shooting Gallery these can be very deadly.
- Captain Rahera's Manifest Destiny spell combined with Escort makes this a fierce melee combatant, indeed. It can two shot many heavies.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- This model is a BAHI model. It is not available in stores, it can only be purchased directly from PP's online store (or 2nd hand).
It is easy to get in the US, and somewhat easy to get in the EU after PP organised a UK warehouse in early 2019, but for players elsewhere in the world the shipping costs and/or local import taxes make BAHI models hard to get a hold of.
- Its 4" melee range means it can't aim if anything is in that range when it activates.
Tricks & Tips
- Chain Strike does not apply when you make a throw power attack. They're still just 2".
- The 2" push on the rocket fists can push models in any direction. This can be used to line up models for any lucky crits, to move models into threat range of the rest of your army, to move models out of zones or simply to stop the damn cockatrices from running away.
- Released in the Talion expansion (2019.05)
- Although this model is about 90% the same as the Galleon, they are sold as separate models. You can't buy a multi-kit and magnetise it. So they're only on the same chassis in the fluff.
Who can control this warjack?
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Human) (Edit)|
|Non-Casters||"Junior" Warcaster||Crosse1||'Jack Marshal||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
- Note: Other restrictions may apply (such as 'Jack Marshals can't control Colossals).
Other Mercenary models