Black Ogrun Ironmongers
|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Black Ogrun Ironmongers |
This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.11. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
You can view the Mk3 models that have been updated on this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
Iron mongers are black ogrun metalsmiths who combine their craft with rituals of blood and dark magic. The blood-forged weapons they create would be a reason enough for any captain to take iron mongers on as crew, but these ogrun are also skilled in the repair and maintenance of Cryxian ’jacks.
|Black Ogrun Ironmongers|
- Entire unit
- Dismantle - This model gains an additional die on damage rolls against construct models.
- Repair [d3+1] (★ Action) - RNG B2B. Target friendly Faction construct model. If the model is in range, remove d3+1 damage points from it.
- Leader only
- Curse [Faction warjack] - This model can use Curse once per activation at any time. Choose an enemy model/unit in this model's command range. Friendly Faction warjack models gain +2 to attack rolls against the chosen model/unit. Curse lasts for one turn.
- Tool - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Other Factions
- Infernal players can use this model/unit in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Mortenebra is leading the army.
Thoughts on Black Ogrun Ironmongers
Black Ogrun Ironmongers in a nutshell
Keeping Cryx warjacks in tip-top shape, these Iron Mongers are a hybrid mechanic and support unit that is reasonably competent in combat. Bringing solid defensive stats for their points and some powerful special rules to support their warjacks is key to the design of this unit. They are also randomly P+S 12 Weapon Masters into constructs, so they can definitely do some work if a a jack, wold or angel gets a bit to close.
Combos & Synergies
- Curse basically gives jacks more MAT. Combine with DEF and ARM debuffs and soon you're as synergistic as menoth jack support!
- Stack their Curse with the Scourge of the Broken Coast theme force's Gang Fighter bonus, and your 'jacks will be getting +4 to hit before you start including buffs/debuffs from your warcaster.
- They're handy in the Black Industries theme force because there is lots of 'jacks and other constructs to repair and apply Curse for.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- At 5 points they're harder to slot into a list than Necrotech.
- As support models, they become higher priority targets for your opponent's snipers.
- If the Leader is RFP'd you don't get to do a field promotion, and you'll lose the Curse ability.
Tricks & Tips
- Whereas most faction's repair crews are humans (or sometimes just gobbers), Cryx has Ogruns - big muscular Ogruns. Don't count these guys out in a brawl if it comes to it.
- Against constructs, these guys are extremely inexpensive weapon masters. Remember there is always at least one construct in a Steam Roller game; the enemy objective.
- Keep the Leader away from RFP attacks.
- Released in the Black Fleet expansion (2017.11)
Other Cryx models
Rules Clarification : Unique Leader Model (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Dismantle - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Repair (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Curse (Edit)