Black Bella, Duchess of Dread
|As of 2022.08 Warmachine University has turned into an archive for Mk3 rules (3rd Edition).|
Refer to the Privateer Press website for all modern Mk4 (4th Edition) related content.
This site has been kept online for any players who want to continue using Mk3 rules and/or anyone who wants to compare Mk4 Legacy models to Mk3 models.
More information can be found on the Talk:Main Page area of this wiki.
| Black Bella, Duchess of Dread |
Mark IV Status: Prime - This model is available in one Prime Army, Talion Charter. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
As merciless as she is beautiful as she is merciless as she is… You get the idea. The name Black Bella—a.k.a. the Duchess of Dread—strikes terror into the hearts of those who sail the high seas as well as those who hide from her on land. Woe betides he who gets between this pirate and her booty!
- Riot Quest - Although this model has rules which allow it to be played in Warmachine and Hordes, it was primarily designed for the Riot Quest boardgame. RQ is set in an alternate and/or future timeline where the Infernals won the war. Some of the RQ models are slightly more goofy than their WMH equivalents.
- Mercenary - This model will work for Crucible Guard, Cryx, Cygnar, Khador, and the Protectorate.
- Duelist - This model gains +2 DEF against melee attack rolls.
- Killing Spree - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, after the attack is resolved this model can advance up to 1" and make one additional melee attack.
- Riposte - When this model is missed by an enemy melee attack, immediately after the attack is resolved it can make one basic melee attack against the attacking model.
- Other Factions
- Mercenary models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
- Aside from that, there are a few themes that will change what Faction this model counts as (and thus what "friendly Faction only" buffs it can receive). They are:
Thoughts on Black Bella
Black Bella in a nutshell
Black Bella is a melee solo designed to prey on multiple medium armor, single wound models (units or support solos) that she can dance through with Killing Spree. Once she is in melee she's DEF 17 vs melee and DEF 19 vs shooting, with Riposte - which isn't bad survivability.
Combos & Synergies
- She's both a Privateer and a Thamarite as such she benefits from any and all of their support solos.
- Captain Allison Jakes - In Flames in the Darkness Black Bella becomes a Cygnar model, so she can feat on her. Killing Spree, Rech and E-Leaps can turn entire infantry lines to dust. She is also a perfect target for Bullet Dodger, thanks to her Duelist and Ripose.
- The Morrowan Archon pushes her DEF even higher, wheras the Thamarite Archon gives her re-rolls for missed attacks.
- Zerkova1 has clouds that also apply -2 to enemy attack rolls, stacking well with Duelist and Riposte.
- She is one of the better throw-away targets for Shae's Storm Rager spell, turning her into a fearsome missile.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- She's a DEF 15 model who will die to the average POW 10 attack if she doesn't get into melee
- Dies to blast damage like any other low arm solo
Tricks & Tips
- In Talion Charter under Storm Rager and with Sea Dogs to sac pawn into she is easy to deliver.
- She is slightly less easy to deliver under Crosse2 in hearts of Darkness as blast damage is still a major threat but she does have assess to the Umbral Guardian
- with Def17 in melee don’t be too afraid to run her into combat with low Mat enemy models.
- Released 2019.07
Other Theme Forces
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Other Mercenary models