Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team
|We have 1219 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Locke (1 year review)||Suppresor (one year review)||Exemplar Bastion Seneschal (one year review)||Exemplar Errants (One one year review)|
| Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team |
The Black 13th is the elite strike force of the Militant Order of the Arcane Tempest and a weapon of war sharpened to a razor’s edge by relentless service to the crown. Intense fighting has cut the unit’s complement to three: Captain Dixon Lynch, Sergeant Samuel Watts, and Lieutenant Darsey Ryan. When these three fight together, each effortlessly watches the blind spots of the others while combining their fire to tear apart any opposition. For the Black 13th there can never be capture or surrender, only victory or death.
|Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team|
- Entire Unit
- Concentrated Fire - Models in this unit gain a +1 cumulative bonus to ranged damage rolls for each other model in this unit that has hit an enemy model with a ranged attack this activation.
- Prowl - While this model has concealment, it gains stealth.
- Swift Hunter - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a basic ranged attack, immediately after the attack is resolved it can advance up to 2".
- Gunfighter - This model can use its ranged weapon(s) even while in melee, but with limitations. Click the link for the full rule.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- True Sight - This model ignores cloud effects when determining LOS. This model also ignores Stealth.
- Lynch only
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Lynch & Watts
- Magelock Pistol - 10" range, POW 10 gun.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon deals Magical damage.
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Magelock Pistol - 10" range, POW 10 gun.
- Magelock Pistol (x2) - As above, except she has two.
- Other Factions
No changes since 2017.11
Thoughts on the Black 13th
The Black 13th in a nutshell
They're an elite ranged combat unit. They excel at erasing light/medium infantries from the table ... but with Cygnar's plethora of POW 10 damage-sources their role can become easily redundant.
They were recently buffed with Pathfinder (nice to trigger Prowl) and True Sight (really nice buff, as it counters a lot of anti-ranged defensive tech).
Combos & Synergies
- They fare well with any caster who can boost their ranged capacity (Stryker1, Caine1, Caine2, Maddox, Sturgis1), or their survival (Siege1 is a good choice for Foxhole and his feat).
- Special mention to Haley1 - her feat grants each model get +1 attacks and you can potentially deliver 2x POW 10, 2x POW 11 and 3x POW 12 shots (each preferably with Brutal Damage). Also, you can trigger Swift Hunter off the extra feat attacks too, giving the 13th great mobility.
- They also really like models who can boost their damage, so the usual mercenaries (Aiyana, Gorman, and Ragman) are all useful to capitalize the bonus by Concentrated Fire and Brutal Damage.
- The Sons of the Tempest theme force is a good way to pump up the overall usefulness of this unit. Brutal Damage shots with Pistoleer can hardly be ignored, and they also contribute to the free solo limit.
- Lieutenant Bastian Falk has Rune marked for +2 damage and can be included in the Sons of the Tempest theme.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They are quite expensive per model. For a single point more you'll get an entire unit of Arcane Tempest Gun Mages, delivering 50% more shots. Also for 11 points you get a minimum unit of Tempest Blazers with way better mobility and increased resilience. For a point less you can buy the mercenary Thorn Gun Mages; another flexible gunslinger unit with greater utility, and 2 more shots than the B13.
- Even though they have multiple damage boxes, they are so squishy that even a POW 9 will kill them on an average roll.
- Don't do much damage on their own, and Cygnar has many other ways for POW10 ranged attacks.
Tricks & Tips
- Concentrated Fire means it's best to attack with Ryan last, because she'll get two attacks at max buff.
- Concentrated Fire applies only to your attacks during your activation, not to stuff like free strikes.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
- In the lore the two surviving members of the B13, Ryan and Watts accompanies the renegade Caine on his errands - forming the unit known as Caine's Hellslingers.
- The old sculpts are remarkably smaller than the rest of the army - it is advised to base them on an elevated position to avoid making them look like hobbit gunslingers.
Other Cygnar models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Missing the Attack Roll
Gunfighter + an AOE weapon
Gunfighter + a spray weapon
Units of Gunfighters